What is McDermott’s Magnum Opus?

bubba2018

1 hour ago, SoMAn said:

It's cumulative. How can you break it down to individual moments in a specific game and draw conclusions from that? It's like isolating a few minutes in your life and defining who you are by that.

How can you not do what you say above if you just irrationally hate the guy, and likely, just hate winners or successful people? 

Because that is exactly what they, the haters of McD,  do--'did you see that one play where he didn't call a time out when I think he needed too!!!!!! Fire him now!!!" or, for Josh, pointing to 1-2 plays of his in a game and saying,"See that!! Josh is the problem!! Trade for Zak!!!!'

As what I bolded above is exactly how they (the irrational haters) operate, which, ironically, means it is the opposite of real evidence and logic guiding them, despite the OP's implication that he is directed by that and the those who understand just how good of coach we have (the vast, vast majority of Bills' fans) are not.

So to answer your question, that is exactly what they do, how they operate.  So his post makes sense, as that is how they see things.  McDermott could have won the SB this year and do you have any doubt that they would start in with their hate as soon as the next season began or sooner? Of course they would have--and will...

They can likely thank their lucky stars that the real world--and their own bosses (hopefully) have a more rational way of looking at things.

Edited by Mister Defense
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Steptide said:

It seems to me, that the defense is what always falls short in the playoffs. Ofcourse it'll always seem that way in a loss, but that's what stands out to me. Houston in 2019, giving up a 16 point lead. 2020 against kc in afc championship, just got absolutely pummeled, had zero pass rush. 2021 against kc, absolute enbaresment giving up the lead with 13 seconds left. 

No clue what happened last year with the bengals. The team didn't even show up. And then this year again, the defense couldn't get a stop. Kc was matching our offense all night 

I would have let McDermott go for the Bengals game, but overall this is true. Defensive continuous no shows in these playoffs games the last three years is a huge concern, especially when we're supposed to have a defensive head coach. Ownership isn't going to touch it, but at some point McDermott has to have his defense show up because it really hasn't outside of 4 years ago against Lamar. It's 32 points a game and an average QB rating of 115. Hard to win games that way.

I think a consequence of playoff expansion is that I value appearances even less now. I think there's a lot of coaches that can win the AFC East with Josh Allen and win a home wildcard game.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

How can you not do what you say above if you just irrationally hate the guy, and likely, just hate winners or successful people? 

Because that is exactly what they, the haters of McD,  do--'did you see that one play where he didn't call a time out when I think he needed too!!!!!! Fire him now!!!" or, for Josh, pointing to 1-2 plays of his in a game and saying,"See that!! Josh is the problem!! Trade for Zak!!!!'

As what I bolded above is exactly how they (the irrational haters) operate, which, ironically, means it is the opposite of real evidence and logic guiding them, despite the OP's implication that he is directed by that and the those who understand just how good of coach we have (the vast, vast majority of Bills' fans) are not.

So to answer your question, that is exactly what they do, how they operate.  So his post makes sense, as that is how they see things.  McDermott could have won the SB this year and do you have any doubt that they would start in with their hate as soon as the next season began or sooner? Of course they would have--and will...

They can likely thank their lucky stars that the real world--and their own bosses (hopefully) have a more rational way of looking at things.

Without deep-digging analysis, the win-loss record over a 7 year period should be enough to provide a snapshot of McD's  success.

Quick, name the other NFL coaches with a better W-L record in that same span. Reid? Probably. (I'm not digging deep). Who else? 

The stupidity of the dissidents is that they NEVER offer any sure-fire solution. 

I'm convinced there are fair share of posters in this forum who are not too bright, so I wouldn't really expect they'd offer solutions.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

18 hours ago, JimBob2232 said:

Uh...What are Billichecks.  What are Reids.  What are Sabans.  There are no best single moments in coaching.  Its establishing a culture, and many other things that cant boil down to a "coaching moment"

Belichick has many moments.

1.) His defensive game plan used while DC for the Giants to shut down the Bills offense in the super bowl is in the hall of fame. Giants were definitely the underdog in that game with a backup QB going up against one of the best offenses of the era. When has McDermotts defense ever come up so big in a big game against a top offense like this?

2.) As head coach, beating the Greatest Show on Turf Rams in the Super Bowl 20-17 when New England was a significant underdog is another example. His defensive blue print for that game was similar to what was used against the Bills in the super bowl. Brady wasn't really responsible for that win. His stats were mediocre. The defense played a huge role there and in even getting there (Brady didn't throw for many TD passes the whole post season). When has McDermotts defense ever come up so big in a big game against a top offense like this?

3.) Beating the Rams again in a super bowl 13-3 where his defense made the Rams offense that looked so great that year look like *****.  When has McDermotts defense ever come up so big in a big game against a top offense like this?

4.) Repeated victories against the Colts led by Manning in the playoffs where his defenses brutalized and shut down the best offense in the league over and over (where as McDermott cannot stop Mahomes  with top picks throughout the defense - Belichick got it done with a wide receiver, Troy Brown, playing corner due to injuries)

McDermott has no comparable record to that greatness. 

Andy Reid and the Chiefs beating a top 49ers defense in the Super Bowl would be an example for him. That 49ers defense was an all time great and Reid's scheming allowed Mahomes to torch them. Meanwhile, the Bills cannot beat the Chiefs when it counts. 

Edited by ProcessImproverMan
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

Belichick has many moments.

1.) His defensive game plan used while DC for the Giants to shut down the Bills offense in the super bowl is in the hall of fame. Giants were definitely the underdog in that game with a backup QB going up against one of the best offenses of the era. When has McDermotts defense ever come up so big in a big game against a top offense like this?

2.) As head coach, beating the Greatest Show on Turf Rams in the Super Bowl 20-17 when New England was a significant underdog is another example. His defensive blue print for that game was similar to what was used against the Bills in the super bowl. Brady wasn't really responsible for that win. His stats were mediocre. The defense played a huge role there and in even getting there (Brady didn't throw for many TD passes the whole post season). When has McDermotts defense ever come up so big in a big game against a top offense like this?

3.) Beating the Rams again in a super bowl 13-3 where his defense made the Rams offense that looked so great that year look like *****.  When has McDermotts defense ever come up so big in a big game against a top offense like this?

4.) Repeated victories against the Colts led by Manning in the playoffs where his defenses brutalized and shut down the best offense in the league over and over (where as McDermott cannot stop Mahomes  with top picks throughout the defense - Belichick got it done with a wide receiver, Troy Brown, playing corner due to injuries)

McDermott has no comparable record to that greatness. 

Andy Reid and the Chiefs beating a top 49ers defense in the Super Bowl would be an example for him. That 49ers defense was an all time great and Reid's scheming allowed Mahomes to torch them. Meanwhile, the Bills cannot beat the Chiefs when it counts. 

I would add the INT at the goal line that preserved their Super Bowl win over the Seahawks. They should have given the ball to Lynch instead of throwing the ball, but Bill's defense made the play to win the game as another great moment in Bill's history.

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

Without deep-digging analysis, the win-loss record over a 7 year period should be enough to provide a snapshot of McD's  success.

Quick, name the other NFL coaches with a better W-L record in that same span. Reid? Probably. (I'm not digging deep). Who else? 

The stupidity of the dissidents is that they NEVER offer any sure-fire solution. 

I'm convinced there are fair share of posters in this forum who are not too bright, so I wouldn't really expect they'd offer solutions.

Oh so only the bright posters support McDermott....got it...let me ask you this question?  How much of Sean's success is about his coaching ability and how much is Josh's ability?

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Oh so only the bright posters support McDermott....got it...let me ask you this question?  How much of Sean's success is about his coaching ability and how much is Josh's ability?

McD made the playoffs with Tyrod Taylor at QB and Kelvin Benjamin at WR1.

• Like (+1) 1

the thing is, a Magnum Opus is really dependent on the outcome, if you think about it

If McDermott coaches the game of his life but the team loses, whereas in another season he makes a massive coaching blunder but is saved by the other team fumbling at a key moment, then the win will outshine the loss, regardless of the quality of the work. 

15 minutes ago, FireChans said:

McD made the playoffs with Tyrod Taylor at QB and Kelvin Benjamin at WR1.

Ok and what did those 2 look like in our first playoff game?  Did Sean coach them up against Jacksonville.  7 fricken points....give me a break. This ridiculous narrative that Sean is some state of the art coach because Andy and Boyd complete a miracle play is staggering.  Honestly what kind of a yearly record would Sean McDermott have without Josh Allen?

4-5 wins?....maybe 7-9 Jauron level?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Ok and what did those 2 look like in our first playoff game?  Did Sean coach them up against Jacksonville.  7 fricken points....give me a break. This ridiculous narrative that Sean is some state of the art coach because Andy and Boyd complete a miracle play is staggering.  Honestly what kind of a yearly record would Sean McDermott have without Josh Allen?

4-5 wins?....maybe 7-9 Jauron level?

They didn’t make the playoffs for 17 years prior with a broken team culture. You may have missed that.

22 hours ago, bubba2018 said:

I want people to list off some of McDermotts best coaching moments that you can remember which directly impacted the outcome of a game in a positive way. You guys think McDermott deserves another year? Prove it and post each scenario/evidence as to why you believe McDermott deserves another shot. 

THIS BELOW!  

22 hours ago, Dr. K said:

Go away. It's not my job to waste my time trying to convince you when you are incapable of being convinced.

Great response @Dr. K!  

What a stupid thread...like for real.  Nobody on this board has even the faintest idea of what coaching McD is doing, or any coach, in a game.  News flash...coaches are not mic'd up.  You don't know what he is discussing, what he is saying to players, what adjustments he is making.  You literally know nothing other than the outcome of the game and then you all make up what ever you want to make up about what you THINK happened.  

Most this board is so dense they don't even know that McD isn't calling the offense in the game.  

I am not even saying McD is perfect or must stay...I am just saying this is just a pointless thread that has no answer to where the goal is start ANOTHER smear thread on McD because the OP felt his personal smear attempt needed everyones attention.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Yeah this is what I was going to say. Probably a top 3 play in franchise history and it was a perfect McDermott red zone defense. 

Don't recall Josh Allen on the drought teams 

And remember he played Peterman on the road when Bills were in playoff hunt. 

Bills were in the playoff hunt in 2017.  Gee I wonder why.  How much talent was on that roster?

4 minutes ago, Nuncha said:

Bills were in the playoff hunt in 2017.  Gee I wonder why.  How much talent was on that roster?

3rd place schedule 

Lucky win by Benglas over Ravens

Opportunistic defense

Bills were outscored by almost 50 points on the season

Oh yeah and McDermott played for a tie in the Colts snow OT game when a tie would have meant Bills missed the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/25/2024 at 5:00 PM, Big Turk said:

Doesn't matter what anyone thinks other than Terry Pegula and Brandon Beane.

Then why even have a bills forum?

12 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

3rd place schedule 

Opportunistic defense

Oh yeah and McDermott played for a tie in the Colts snow OT game when a tie would have meant Bills missed the playoffs. 

Parks And Recreation GIF by Peacock

13 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

idk, dude got pansted by Mac Jones who can’t make it a half vs other teams and caught a break to get past the Tyrod Taylor led G-men

He’s still highly sus at times 

Mcclappy is the preferrred nomenclature dude 

This is a great example of what I said in my post about the OP.  Yup, he was out-coached this year in two games, and one was the first Pats game. Yes, that is true, that that one game was not his best game, outmatched by the greatest coach of all time. 

See what I mean?  They take one tiny piece and use that, or a few of those, to scream for years that McDermott is a bad coach, ignoring the huge amount of varied evidence that he is an excellent coach.

Ignorance of the worst kind--will full ignorance

And the other thing they do?  They call him silly, immature idiotic names (see above), as if they were in 4th grade.  Who does that?  I think it is pretty clear who most of them worship politically, as they follow his lead in the way they attack and their supreme immaturity.

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

3rd place schedule 

Opportunistic defense

lol please the team was coming out of 17 years of hibernation. I suppose you think they had the talent to win it all that year.

12 minutes ago, Nuncha said:

lol please the team was coming out of 17 years of hibernation. I suppose you think they had the talent to win it all that year.

Of course not

I just don't believe McDermott was the reason they made the playoffs in 2017. They made the playoffs despite his incredibly bad coaching decisions that included his defensexgiving up 296 rush yards at home to the Saints, starting Peterman on the road, and playing for a tie in OT. 

It was TT that beat the Dolphins twice in three weeks and a miracle from the Benglas that ended the drought 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, SoMAn said:

It's cumulative. How can you break it down to individual moments in a specific game and draw conclusions from that? It's like isolating a few minutes in your life and defining who you are by that.

6 playoff appearances in 7 years.

4 straight division titles.

Double digit win totals in spite of massive losses to injury. 

Using the same rationale of the 'Fire McDermott' crowd, Harbaugh should be canned if his team loses this week to the Chiefs.  How many times have the Ravens missed the playoffs, not made it past wildcard round? It's been what, 12 seasons since they made it to the Superbowl?  Only 3 playoff wins in that period of time. Harbaugh must go, right?

Referencing the playoff wins and Championships won in a similar span of time, Tomlin, Shanahan, McCarthy, LeFleur should all be fired by that logic.

If the instant-gratification crowd ever grasps how difficult it is to get into the late rounds of the playoffs, let alone get on the tournament in the first place, maybe then they'll shut up about firing McDermott. 

Nice post.

For the record I'm not completely on board with Sean, but I'm still waiting for someone to make a cogent argument against your point.

13 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Of course not

I just don't believe McDermott was the reason they made the playoffs in 2017. They made the playoffs despite his incredibly bad coaching decisions that included his defensexgiving up 296 rush yards at home to the Saints, starting Peterman on the road, and playing for a tie in OT. 

It was TT that beat the Dolphins twice in three weeks and a miracle from the Benglas that ended the drought 

The team in 2017 was a mess, the o-line was a joke, Taylor a career backup, Kelvin Benjamin was our top WR...What has happened since then?  You are acting like the team has gone the opposite direction.  We won the AFC East 4 years straight and are right there with the top teams in the AFC. 

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.