Interesting stat I saw in regards to regular season losses

warrior9

He could fix the close game problem with a killer instinct. He just doesn't have it. When given a chance to push the throttle, it seems that the offense goes back out with a new game plan to slow things down. Had a chance even in the playoff game up 10-6 with ball and it looks like the offense went out with a different purpose.

Maybe next year go out with the intention to not take the foot off the gas.

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Georgia Bill said:

To be fair, I would argue that most playoff teams do worse defensively when going up against the leagues best teams/coaches.  It gets harder as you go into the playoffs, and only one team gets out without losing.  Every team that loses has armchair coaches second guessing why this or that didn't get done, or pointing out why those painful playoff losses are the coaches fault.  I take some comfort in the fact that outside of the funky fluky Bengals game, we're in these games - they are close.  Any number of things just going a little right instead of a little wrong would have us winning those games - particularly the last two big ones against the Chiefs.  

I’m not so sure, I think The Bengals D gives up less in the playoffs than the regular season… the Bills D has given up 34 PPG in 3 playoff games against KC while averaging somewhere in the 17 PPG during the regular season… that’s just WAY to much to chalk up to the Playoffs are just harder.

That’s an absurd drop off and being 3  games is not a one off.

3 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

What if this is the deal - Terry Pegula is an awful owner and manager of a sports franchise (see Rex Ryan hire; 2012 - 2024 Buffalo Sabres). He did get very lucky once hiring McDermott, who is a good coach, and Beane, who is a very good GM.  Do you really want him to be making any more decisions with the Bills?

What if there is a team with a better coach and staff, make better personnel decisions and have a QB as good or better than ours?  What if there is another team with an elite QB who presents a nightmare matchup for the Bills?  It’s horrible.  It isn’t fair but, personally, I keep McBeane in place and upgrade at OC and DC.  Maybe that will be enough to get us over the hump.

Here is a bonkers stat. 

Before Terry bought the Sabres the franchise had the 4th highest point percentage in the NHL at .553. That’s from a teams inception until 2012. 

I since Terry bought the team they have had the worst point percentage from 2012 until today and have plummeted from the 4th most winning franchise to 14th.

If you took the point percentage from Scotty Bowman’s 10 most successful years. Not consecutive years, just cherry picked his best 10 his point percentage would be .693.

If the Sabres went on a historical Scotty Bowman run starting next October it would take the team 10 YEARS to get that point percentage back to the pre Pegula era. It is impossible for Terry to fix this franchise in the time it took him to brake it.

6 hours ago, Mango said:

If you took the point percentage from Scotty Bowman’s 10 most successful years. Not consecutive years, just cherry picked his best 10 his point percentage would be .693.

If the Sabres went on a historical Scotty Bowman run starting next October it would take the team 10 YEARS to get that point percentage back to the pre Pegula era. It is impossible for Terry to fix this franchise in the time it took him to brake it.

Slow down dude!

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Billl said:

So the only good coaches the past several years are Andy Reid, Sean McVay, and whoever was coaching Brady?

What makes McDermott a good coach? 

His defenses have CRUMBLED when it matters most, why is this hard to understand ?

Has Andy Reid's offense routinely failed in big stages? Has Sean McVay's?  No, McDermott's defense does as a routine 

15 hours ago, NewEra said:

Get over it

Loser's mentality. 

"Get over it" because we go to the playoffs is settling. We will not and have not and never will win a big game / SB with McDermott as our HC

We may never see another player like Josh Allen in a Bills uniform, our coach can't get us over the hump and you're response is "get over it" hahahahaha. 

Edited by warrior9
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, warrior9 said:

What makes McDermott a good coach? 

His defenses have CRUMBLED when it matters most, why is this hard to understand ?

Has Andy Reid's offense routinely failed in big stages? Has Sean McVay's?  No, McDermott's defense does as a routine 

Loser's mentality. 

"Get over it" because we go to the playoffs is settling. We will not and have not and never will win a big game / SB with McDermott as our HC

We may never see another player like Josh Allen in a Bills uniform, our coach can't get us over the hump and your response is "get over it" hahahahaha. 

A losers mentality in your mind-  but the reality of the situation is, McD IS our coach.  He’s going to be our coach and there’s nothing you can do about it.  Reality.  So get over it….. or just continue to whine and cry about something that you cannot change

• Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

In many of those 6 games the last time the Bills had the ball they went down the field and scored, then the defense allowed the opponent to score costing the Bills the game. 

But can also then make the argument that maybe the Bills wouldn't have been behind to begin with if it weren't for the turnovers and missed opportunities, and short fields given up earlier.  In 4 of those losses the offense averaged 21 PPG, not that great.  Not that I'm blaming Allen, but if we have this great top 3 QB, scoring 21 PPG and expecting to win them all is probably not realistic either and hard to also put the blame on the defense.

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

A losers mentality in your mind-  but the reality of the situation is, McD IS our coach.  He’s going to be our coach and there’s nothing you can do about it.  Reality.  So get over it….. or just continue to whine and cry about something that you cannot change

Got it, so discussing on a FOOTBALL forum.. about OUR TEAMS head coach... and his short comings using actual subjective instances is whining and crying? 

So we should all be happy that our head coach who is our defensive coordinator can't win a big game? 

On 1/25/2024 at 11:26 AM, warrior9 said:

The Bills lost 6 times in the regular season. 

In 4 of those losses, the last time Josh Allen saw the field, the Bills were either winning or tied. 

Further proof that McDermott's defense and his soft conservative coaching style in crunch situations will continue to hinder this team. 

EDIT: Wanted to add, The Milwaukee Bucks fired their coach after starting the season 30-13. Winning organizations recognize when change needs to be made. The Chiefs got rid of Alex Smith after a 13-3 (maybe 11-5) season. Pegula needs to recognize that McDermott is good enough to get us a division win and to the divisional round (if we're playing back up QBs) and that's about it. 

Josh needs to stop scoring so fast.  For example if he hadn't scored so fast against the Bronco's the Bills would not have had the opportunity to get 12 men on the field to grasp defeat from the jaws of victory. 

3 out of our 4 losses are to the Chiefs dynasty. And two of those games could have gone either way.

It’s not like we are losing to teams like the 7 seeded  Dolphins and Colts even if both those games were close.

That said, my gut tells me coming season will be the critical year for McDermott. It will be conference championship game appearance or bust for him. 

3 hours ago, warrior9 said:

Got it, so discussing on a FOOTBALL forum.. about OUR TEAMS head coach... and his short comings using actual subjective instances is whining and crying? 

So we should all be happy that our head coach who is our defensive coordinator can't win a big game? 

Yes- it will be whining and crying in month 2.  Like clockwork

Edited by NewEra

The blown late leads are a reason for optimism in 2024. Just like coming off the 2021 season where the Bills were like 0-6 in one score games, and the Bills had a much better regular season record the following year in 2022, I expect a much better record in 2024 as our luck evens out. 

Two things will reverse themselves next season:

1. Won't surrender so many late leads

2. Allen won't turn the ball over nearly as much as he did this year. Not positive, but was this his worst year yet in terms of turnovers? Maybe not, because he did actually keep a good lid on the fumbles this past season. 

On 1/25/2024 at 11:26 AM, warrior9 said:

EDIT: Wanted to add, The Milwaukee Bucks fired their coach after starting the season 30-13. Winning organizations recognize when change needs to be made. The Chiefs got rid of Alex Smith after a 13-3 (maybe 11-5) season. Pegula needs to recognize that McDermott is good enough to get us a division win and to the divisional round (if we're playing back up QBs) and that's about it. 

Let's not forget Philly fired Doug Peterson 2 years after WINNING A SUPER BOWL.

INDEED!  Winner organizations who expect to WIN get rid of those who fail to win.

McDermott has had plenty of time to show us "his way" works.  It doesn't.

Next!

The thing is, Pegula is an idiot. And we don't really know how desperate he is to win a Super Bowl

For all we know, Pegula thinks things are going JUST PERFECTLY right now...and McDermott is here for life.

I really want that guy to dump both teams and move on with his life.

Go enjoy what's left of it and your $5 billion Pegula...why play around with sports in WNY?

14 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

3 out of our 4 losses are to the Chiefs dynasty. And two of those games could have gone either way.

It’s not like we are losing to teams like the 7 seeded  Dolphins and Colts even if both those games were close.

That said, my gut tells me coming season will be the critical year for McDermott. It will be conference championship game appearance or bust for him. 

Lol, again? Wasn't that what this year was. What's that insanity definition again...........

1 minute ago, LarryMadman said:

Lol, again? Wasn't that what this year was. What's that insanity definition again...........

It was. My posts going into the season were about the team not going backwards. McDermott accomplished that barely. I said he had to have this team play in a competitive game in the divisional round after playing a noncompetitive game last year. 

Now midseason, like everyone else, when we were 6-6 I thought it was playoffs or bust for him. As long as he got the team to the playoffs I didn't care how the team performed, he would be back as coach in 2024.

But going into next season. It's conference championship game or bust. He won't get a pass for going on a 6-game winning streak to end the regular season next year. And we actually need to advance next season, or he is out. 

On 1/25/2024 at 7:45 PM, Mikie2times said:

Josh Allen could take a baseball team to the Super Bowl with a golf club

But apparently not a football team to the Super Bowl with a football....

Just saying.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, NewEra said:

Yes- it will be whining and crying in month 2.  Like clockwork

So we should just accept that our head coach can't win big games?

You're ok with NEVER winning a super bowl with Josh Allen at QB? Or is that whining and crying too? 

You're cool with participation trophies?

14 hours ago, Chaos said:

Josh needs to stop scoring so fast.  For example if he hadn't scored so fast against the Bronco's the Bills would not have had the opportunity to get 12 men on the field to grasp defeat from the jaws of victory. 

LMFAO! Our offense needs to stop scoring... 

WTF? Do you hear yourself....? You're also making excuses.. Josh needs to stop scoring so fast because our Head Coaches defense cant stop the offense LOL 

Edited by warrior9

5 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

So we should just accept that our head coach can't win big games?

You're ok with NEVER winning a super bowl with Josh Allen at QB? Or is that whining and crying too? 

You're cool with participation trophies?

LMFAO! Our offense needs to stop scoring... 

WTF? Do you hear yourself....? You're also making excuses.. Josh needs to stop scoring so fast because our Head Coaches defense cant stop the offense LOL 

You’re operating under the assumption that there is no chance that McDermott can win a Super Bowl.  I don’t operate under that assumption and I feel that your reactions to views opposing yours have been juvenile.  

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

It was. My posts going into the season were about the team not going backwards. McDermott accomplished that barely. I said he had to have this team play in a competitive game in the divisional round after playing a noncompetitive game last year. 

Now midseason, like everyone else, when we were 6-6 I thought it was playoffs or bust for him. As long as he got the team to the playoffs I didn't care how the team performed, he would be back as coach in 2024.

But going into next season. It's conference championship game or bust. He won't get a pass for going on a 6-game winning streak to end the regular season next year. And we actually need to advance next season, or he is out. 

I agree to a certain degree. I think this team goes as Josh Allen goes. IMO Allen is more responsible for the turn around than McDermott is and I'm one who thinks last year 2023 was McDermotts prove it year. I think he proved and cemented the fact he is not the guy to lead this team to a Super Bowl. 

The sample size of his failures is larger now where nothing has changed and can't be ignored. He's just not the guys o no point in continuing to go forward whit him.

Edited by LarryMadman

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

You’re operating under the assumption that there is no chance that McDermott can win a Super Bowl.  I don’t operate under that assumption and I feel that your reactions to views opposing yours have been juvenile.  

I've asked you several questions and you haven't answered. 

So "Get over it" and telling someone on a football forum discussing their head coach is "crying and whining" isn't juvenile? interesting take bubbaccino ..

let's try again:

-What makes you think we can win a SB with McDermott? 

-What big games has he won? (No play off games against Skylar, Mason Rudolph, Mac Jones, don't count)

6 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

That's obvious sarcasm from Chaos.

Jesus, I hope so. 

8 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

I've asked you several questions and you haven't answered. 

So "Get over it" and telling someone on a football forum discussing their head coach is "crying and whining" isn't juvenile? interesting take bubbaccino ..

let's try again:

-What makes you think we can win a SB with McDermott? 

-What big games has he won? (No play off games against Skylar, Mason Rudolph, Mac Jones, don't count)

Jesus, I hope so. 

I don’t answer questions from kids that are having tantrums.  It’s a waste of time

Yeah, but context matters. 

Losing a 1 point lead with plenty of time left isn't some crazy collapse, especially in a game where the guy you're seemingly defending threw 2 INTs & added a fumble.

Or when you score 3 points in a half, turn it over multiple times, and wait until 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter to finally eek ahead (against a terrible team), it's not quite the defensive meltdown it sounds like.

It'd be like saying "Josh lead a drive to send a game into OT, but the defense choked by giving up a TD in OT!"... Then seeing that was the Jets game & Allen had 4 turnovers.

Context matters, and even the 4 losses you're talking about were TEAM chokes, Allen included. 

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

I don’t answer questions from kids that are having tantrums.  It’s a waste of time

Hahahaha.

where is there a tantrum? I’ve asked you 2 questions. You can’t answer them, so you deflect, name call and have excuses. 

literally picture perfect from someone who doesn’t even believe what their saying and knows they're wrong. 

I'm sure you are REALLY fun at parties and a great conversationalist, bubba! 

Edited by warrior9
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.