Hey, Talking Heads, Please Look at the Stats Before You Speak

I know, I know. They’re Talking Heads. They need to talk about Josh Allen (is he  really great or not, can he get over the hump, yada yada).  I haven’t heard a single pundit talk about the Bills D in reference to the last four playoff losses (Orlovsky was the only one I heard mention the injuries on D in Sunday’s game).  

The stats are sickening. In the four playoff losses, Bills have surrendered an average of 33.5 points, 398 yards, have four sacks for 10 yards and forced two turnovers (one on special teams, zero interceptions).  On Sunday, Bills gave up 7.7 yards per play. Excluding kneel downs, an astounding 8.5 yards per play.  That’s a full three yards per play better than KC’s season average and a full yard better than their best game of the season against the Chargers.  

If Lamar Jackson and the Ravens win on Sunday, I guarantee that it will be because a great Ravens D shuts down Mahones and the Chiefs.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Success said:

The talking heads forgot that football isn't tennis.

And I agree - if the Ravens win, it will be because of great defense.  But the narrative will be "Lamar bests Mahomes!"

I honestly don't really care about the narrative as long as Baltimore wins. I am at the point of removing the color red from my wardrobe. im TIRED of red Red RED all over my feeds.   The chiefs are dead to me. Bottom line PLEASE take them down Ravens

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

I know, I know. They’re Talking Heads. They need to talk about Josh Allen (is he  really great or not, can he get over the hump, yada yada).  I haven’t heard a single pundit talk about the Bills D in reference to the last four playoff losses (Orlovsky was the only one I heard mention the injuries on D in Sunday’s game).  

The stats are sickening. In the four playoff losses, Bills have surrendered an average of 33.5 points, 398 yards, have four sacks for 10 yards and forced two turnovers (one on special teams, zero interceptions).  On Sunday, Bills gave up 7.7 yards per play. Excluding kneel downs, an astounding 8.5 yards per play.  That’s a full three yards per play better than KC’s season average and a full yard better than their best game of the season against the Chargers.  

If Lamar Jackson and the Ravens win on Sunday, I guarantee that it will be because a great Ravens D shuts down Mahones and the Chiefs.

Yup, it’s the D that always lets us down. Josh takes a lot of heat that should be going elsewhere. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, muppy said:

I honestly don't really care about the narrative as long as Baltimore wins. I am at the point of removing the color red from my wardrobe. im TIRED of red Red RED all over my feeds.   The chiefs are dead to me. Bottom line PLEASE take them down Ravens

This is the 1st year that I've really turned on the Chiefs.  I try not to let "they beat the Bills" be my barometer on stuff like that. I always liked Reid, I like Kelce, and in past years, I have liked Mahomes & respected his game.

But now, their fans have gotten irritating.  Most give Allen such little credit - it's only about "Mahomes is the best, no one is close."  And as for Mahomes, he's just a punk. I was wrong about him.  Crybaby, and a poor sport.

28 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Its because the talking heads don't care about facts.  They talk about what is easy and what will stir up clicks.  Nobody cares about a defensive unit, but they all care about the QB.  

Talking heads have one format...someone take the pro and the rest take the negatively absurd.  So they sound like we are covering all our bases, but really we just want to stir the pot with stupid statements to get people to click the clip or tune in.  

It goes both ways. If the D played lights out in the long run its Allen won x number of playoff games. 

I think many of the talking heads look at individual plays. The Allen miss to Shakir will stand out as a "he has to make that play". Never mind that the Chiefs likely march down and win the game anyway. 

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

It goes both ways. If the D played lights out in the long run its Allen won x number of playoff games. 

I think many of the talking heads look at individual plays. The Allen miss to Shakir will stand out as a "he has to make that play". Never mind that the Chiefs likely march down and win the game anyway. 

Mercifully, no pundits stated what was obvious to all Bills’ fans.  If Bass hits the FG, Chiefs march down for winning FG (99%). If Allen hits Shakir for TD, Chiefs march down for winning TD (90%).  See above re 8.5 yards per play.

I agree that the defense has typically let the Bills down during the playoffs.  That said, this season, the defense was decimated by injuries and held together by scissors and duct tape.  Guys were playing injured (Douglas, Dodson) and Klein wouldn't even have been on the practice squad, let alone playing almost an entire playoff game, if it were not for the guys that were out.  In my opinion, they did enough.  They held at a critical time in the 4th quarter and got the offense the ball with a chance to win the game and the offense (and special teams) did not get the job done.  They had 1st down on the Chiefs 27 yard line, down by 3, with under 3 minutes left and multiple time outs.  They came up with no points.  I love Allen and think he played a terrific game and is right up there with the best players in the NFL (wouldn't trade him for anyone), but he and the offense did not get it done in that final 2 1/2 minutes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, st pete gogolak said:

Mercifully, no pundits stated what was obvious to all Bills’ fans.  If Bass hits the FG, Chiefs march down for winning FG (99%). If Allen hits Shakir for TD, Chiefs march down for winning TD (90%).  See above re 8.5 yards per play.

I think there is a decent shot the D would have stepped up at the end if we scored the TD.  The crowd would have been insane.  

But no doubt - a FG would have been a loss.

54 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Injuries cannot be the excuse, we had a fully intact OL, the best QB in the league, a run gameand all WR aside from Gabe Davis were healthy plus 2 solid TE's. I'm not blaming Josh Allen but we had 3 chances towards the end to win the game...3 freaking chances and we blew it! We didn't make the necessary plays to win this game, again our main guys not named Josh Allen didn't show up... Diggs (no show), Cook (no show), Dalton Kincaid (no show), Dawson Knox (no show), The entire defense aside from a flukey Jordan Poyer fumble out of the endzone (no show). Someone tell me how you dont double and triple Kelce and let the rest of these guys try and beat you? Aj Klein on Kelce was a complete joke, he makes all pros look silly half the time and you have AJ Klein on him? There is absolutely no excuse for that.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

Injuries cannot be the excuse, we had a fully intact OL, the best QB in the league, a run gameand all WR aside from Gabe Davis were healthy plus 2 solid TE's. I'm not blaming Josh Allen but we had 3 chances towards the end to win the game...3 freaking chances and we blew it! We didn't make the necessary plays to win this game, again our main guys not named Josh Allen didn't show up... Diggs (no show), Cook (no show), Dalton Kincaid (no show), Dawson Knox (no show), The entire defense aside from a flukey Jordan Poyer fumble out of the endzone (no show). Someone tell me how you dont double and triple Kelce and let the rest of these guys try and beat you? Aj Klein on Kelce was a complete joke, he makes all pros look silly half the time and you have AJ Klein on him? There is absolutely no excuse for that.

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Bills should have gone to Neal in the big nickel against Kelce sooner. He was playing him pretty well but they didn't go to it until late in the game.

No clue how anyone let alone Sean McD could think AJ on Kelce was a good idea. Completely clueless. Fake punt to Damar, Klein on Kelce. 

• Agree 3

44 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Its because the talking heads don't care about facts.  They talk about what is easy and what will stir up clicks.  Nobody cares about a defensive unit, but they all care about the QB.  

Talking heads have one format...someone take the pro and the rest take the negatively absurd.  So they sound like we are covering all our bases, but really we just want to stir the pot with stupid statements to get people to click the clip or tune in.  

I am NOT defending talking heads, but the truth is that if Josh had better receivers, the Bills would have had increased TOP, thus keeping the Chiefs off of the field and decreasing their offensive numbers.

Perhaps it even would have prevented McDermott from calling stupid plays like that fake punt.

• Like (+1) 1

The talking heads don’t focus on the game, they focus on what will boost their agenda the next day. What will make what they said previously look correct. Listen to Ryan Clarke, he’s played on a great defense for the majority of his career and can’t acknowledge that the Bills D has let Josh down. 

2 hours ago, muppy said:

This is pretty much where I am.

And I live in Missouri!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.