Tyler Bass in cold weather

I'm not sure where one could find this information, but I'd be willing to bet that Bass has more trouble when kicking in cold weather (lets say 30 degrees or below). 

For example, he missed two extra points in the perfect game. It should have been 49-17, not 47. 

He shanked one last week in the cold.....he's from SC, kicked at Georgia Southern.....maybe we need a cold weather kicker?

Just now, The Firebaugh Kid said:

I'm not sure where one could find this information, but I'd be willing to bet that Bass has more trouble when kicking in cold weather (lets say 30 degrees or below). 

For example, he missed two extra points in the perfect game. It should have been 49-17, not 47. 

He shanked one last week in the cold.....he's from SC, kicked at Georgia Southern.....maybe we need a cold weather kicker?

We just need a new kicker.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

We need a good kicker and to be kicking in a stadium that isn't horribly engineered for the elements.

Don’t blame elements when good kickers come in and just drill. Ever wonder why Bass’s kicks fade so much to the right and good kickers hit the kicks straight or slightly draw in. Bass does not make solid contact and that’s why he duck hooks and hits low kicks that get blocked. Sean is loyal to the kid but he just wrecks our hopes. A team can’t let a bad kicker crush a whole team that leaves their guts on the field.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

So before this postseason Bass was 10-12 (83.3) in the playoffs with a long of 56. 

Now he’s 12-17 (70.5)

• Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Bass was for 2-2 (100%) in under 40 degree weather in the regular season.

He was 7-8 (87.5) in under 40 degree weather last season.

What really jumps out though is his wild card/divisional playoff stats. He is 3/6 (50%) in the divisional round for his career and 5/7 (71%) in the wild card round.

• Shocked 1

I rewatched that kick. It wasn't even close, and Butker's kicks basically stayed straight. Just a bad kick all around, and also suggestive of a lack of power. They have to move on from him next season. Maybe he recovers, but I really don't think you can bank on him overcoming the yips (or whatever his problem is). I'm certainly not willing to take that chance. There are going to be other available kickers who are better than him. I worried going into the game that in a close one, it'd come down to a difference between the kickers, and sadly that's what happened. Butker made both of his. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Agree 3

He almost missed 2 extra points last night. Every damn kick Butker attempted was right down the middle. I mean this is Bass' home stadium.  You'd think he'd know the wind and nuances?  I'm done with him and Martin.  Bass is a bottom 5 kicker making top 5 money. Unbelievable. 

• Like (+1) 3

Career by Month:

September: 20-24 (83%)

October: 30-37 (81%)

November: 32-38 (84%)

December: 23-25 (92%)

January: 2-2 (100%)

Wildcard: 5-7 (74%)

Divisional: 3-6 (50%)

Conference: 3-3 (100%)

I believe he’s 9-10 in his career for game tying and winning kicks. 

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He almost missed 2 extra points last night. Every damn kick Butker attempted was right down the middle. I mean this is Bass' home stadium.  You'd think he'd know the wind and nuances?  I'm done with him and Martin.  Bass is a bottom 5 kicker making top 5 money. Unbelievable. 

Few things:

1 - Almost missed doesn’t count if almost made it doesn’t count.

2 - He’s the 17th highest paid kicker in 2023

3 - 12th highest paid kicker in 2024. 

When Butker kicks it seemed like a heavy ball that powers through.  

When Bass kicks it’s like a wiffle ball in the wind.  ugh.

36 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

We need a good kicker and to be kicking in a stadium that isn't horribly engineered for the elements.

Agreed, we are a dome team as assembled.  Can’t kick in the elements or track downfield passes properly and catch the ball. 

Edited by zow2
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

He was 87% the last 2 seasons, re-signing Bass was a no brainer. 

Exactly, everyone was more than happy with him this year, but the posters who think they are smarter than everyone else all coming out of woodwork now.

I do wonder what happened to him to go from so good to this season where he struggled.  He started the year off think it was 10 for 10.  Believe it was in game announcer stated Bass is 10 for 10, and sure enough missed the kick.  From there went downhill.  Kind of funny was around the same time Diggs went to hell too.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.