Bills Draft Rd 1 - Pick 28

boyst

3 hours ago, skibum said:

I'd be OK with Beane trading pick #1 for an established receiving threat, just like he did for Diggs. Not sure #28 will get that done, but #22 did the job before. 

It's a critical need, why chance it with a low 1st rounder? How many blue chip WR will still be on the board by then?

Who are you trading for?

With so many potential elite receivers in this upcoming draft, I think we could slide a couple of slots and try to pick up another 2nd or 3rd rounder out of it.

Then pound WR at least twice.  IF we can get DT De'vonte Sweat from Texas, let's draft him.  He is a monster of a man and will be an anchor in the middle.

Probably need a safety too.

OR we can trade our #1 pick (we gonna win super bowl next year, so it's gonna be down there) and go up and get one of the top elite WRs in this class.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/23/2024 at 5:06 AM, MiracleAtRich1393 said:

That's why we should take WR with the first three picks. If multiple hit in this stacked class then Allen has an embarrassment of riches well past Diggs' tenure. But you have to get at least ONE hit from this draft. So make sure it happens.

Safety can wait til day 3. Take more than one safety day 3 IDGAF. We should be aiming to spoil Allen, try to set all time scoring & efficiency records. Put the fear of God into opposing defenses. Make opposing offenses get in their own heads about having to score 30+ or they lose. That's how mistakes are made and our defense can be opportunistic. The defensive head coach gets less resources and can try to do more with less.

We’ve heard it all now-  taking WRs with our first THREE picks….. 😂 good lord

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

I was just watching some highlights of Brian Thomas. Oh my Godddddd. Thats an alpha. Easily in my favorite of the guys that might be available to us at 28. But I doubt it. 

Same. Move up a few spots to get this kid. The way this kid can track a ball is exactly what Allen needs. 

10 hours ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

I was just watching some highlights of Brian Thomas. Oh my Godddddd. Thats an alpha. Easily in my favorite of the guys that might be available to us at 28. But I doubt it. 

The problem with Thomas is it is highlights or nothing. He makes the big play or no play. I think they need someone a bit more multi-functional. I don't hate the idea. And if we drafted him, fine. But if they do they definitely need to double dip and get a route runner.

• Like (+1) 3

I like Franklin but he’ll need to bulk up. He’s currently listed at 6’3 187.  He’ll get pushed around like a rag doll at that size.  This a very loaded WR draft.  Any of these guys in the late 1st whether it’s Franklin, Worthy, Lagette, Thomas, etc are going to fill a big hole for us.  

WR is one position where rookies can come in and make immediate impact.  I’d prefer we fill our WR need in the draft and not FA.  Get our safety in FA. I’m  not going to feel great if we go into next season with Hyde’s starting spot filled with a rookie.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

I like Franklin but he’ll need to bulk up. He’s currently listed at 6’3 187.  He’ll get pushed around like a rag doll at that size.  This a very loaded WR draft.  Any of these guys in the late 1st whether it’s Franklin, Worthy, Lagette, Thomas, etc are going to fill a big hole for us.  

WR is one position where rookies can come in and make immediate impact.  I’d prefer we fill our WR need in the draft and not FA.  Get our safety in FA. I’m  not going to feel great if we go into next season with Hyde’s starting spot filled with a rookie.

Agree - safety in FA and then some cheap vet depth at DT and WR. But their big swings on DL and WR should come in the first two rounds of the draft.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

I'm on the Troy Franklin train also. He's the Smoke Brown replacement this offense has been missing. I'm not too concerned with his size. He's savvy enough to get off the line of scrimmage. Beane for years has been looking for Tyreek Hill speed. Franklin has that with length

16 hours ago, Negan said:

Think we could trade Diggs for AJ Brown?

Then draft a WR too in the first.

I'll say this for any and all "trade Diggs" conjecture:

No. Not in 2024. No way, no how. Especially the "no how" part. As in, the Bills would incur a $4 million cap LOSS on top of what they would have to pay the new guy in a year where they desperately need cap space. There's a reason that player for player trades don't happen often, and it's more commonly player for picks. 

If the Bills hit every lever to free up space, effectively say good bye to all departing free agents (bye Floyd, Epenesa, Shaq, Dodson, Dane Jackson, DaQuan, Phillips so most of our defense) and need to hit on nearly every draft pick as an immediate starter the Bills could maybe trade Diggs for picks. What worth all that, multiple first rounders? We ain't getting that for Diggs.

Diggs is a near certain lock to be on the roster in 2024. And, let's face it, likely 2025, because the Bills are so cap strapped I don't see how we field a roster anywhere as close to last year without restructuring or extending him.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I'll say this for any and all "trade Diggs" conjecture:

No. Not in 2024. No way, no how. Especially the "no how" part. As in, the Bills would incur a $4 million cap LOSS on top of what they would have to pay the new guy in a year where they desperately need cap space. There's a reason that player for player trades don't happen often, and it's more commonly player for picks. 

If the Bills hit every lever to free up space, effectively say good bye to all departing free agents (bye Floyd, Epenesa, Shaq, Dodson, Dane Jackson, DaQuan, Phillips so most of our defense) and need to hit on nearly every draft pick as an immediate starter the Bills could maybe trade Diggs for picks. What worth all that, multiple first rounders? We ain't getting that for Diggs.

Diggs is a near certain lock to be on the roster in 2024. And, let's face it, likely 2025, because the Bills are so cap strapped I don't see how we field a roster anywhere as close to last year without restructuring or extending him.

I think you hit the nail on the head - it's the HOW part.  In his year-end press conference, Beane said something about having to be very careful about every dollar they spend.  I doubt he thinks they can afford a $4mil cap hit just to get rid of Diggs.

Now, if this was the NBA's cap?  I'd be calling Tampa about doing a sign & trade of Diggs for Mike Evans.  And in a cap-free world, I'd be calling Jerry Jones and selling him on adding another star, while also reuniting the Diggs brothers.  All for just the low, low price of this year's first round pick.  (In the cap-free scenario, I'm also doing whatever I can to sign Evans outright.)

2 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I'm on the Troy Franklin train also. He's the Smoke Brown replacement this offense has been missing. I'm not too concerned with his size. He's savvy enough to get off the line of scrimmage. Beane for years has been looking for Tyreek Hill speed. Franklin has that with length

He doesn’t have Tyreek Hill speed bro

54 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

He could be the next Tyreek Hill

He’s fast but there are too many people throwing out Tyreek Hill.  There’s one Tyreek hill in the history of the league.  No one else has ever had that kind of explosive speed.  Maybe someone will eventually….but maybe not.  He’s different

I will not be disappointed or surprised if it is IDL in the first.   The importance of the position is clear and as TBB keeps trying to sign veterans.   I think they will be lured to the attraction of a 5 year first round guy of their own in that spot.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.