Bills sign WR K.J. Hamler to futures deal

Process

2 minutes ago, MWK said:

Not complaining about the signing. Complaining about the people who are hyping him up based on liking him out of college just like they did with Andy Isabella. 

We’re fans.

Let us get excited.

Ignore us if you have to.

So far Beane is the last guy I want picking receivers. He’s drafted one good one, Shakir. The only other success was Diggs, at a cost of a 1st round pick and a huge contract from day 1. 

If this Hamler signing is a way of address an issue, then he better have more up his sleeve. 

• Eyeroll 1

14 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

So far Beane is the last guy I want picking receivers. He’s drafted one good one, Shakir. The only other success was Diggs, at a cost of a 1st round pick and a huge contract from day 1. 

If this Hamler signing is a way of address an issue, then he better have more up his sleeve. 

Actually every bit of draft capital that Beane has expended on WRs has arguably out performed its investment (excluding random late-draft shots in the dark). Diggs has been more than worth the 1st and 4th we gave up for him. Davis has been better than a typical 4th rounder. Shakir has been better than a typical 5th rounder. Beane's issue hasn't been scouting talents at the position, he just has not thrown enough darts at the board. Hopefully that strategy changes this coming offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

Since the end of the regular season there has been probably over 500 Reserve/Future signings by NFL teams.

Over 50 WRs alone have so far been signed.

The Buffalo Bills have so far signed 2 (WR Hamler and S Williamson).  Most of the Bills PS players will sign them after the Bills season is over.

Only this place would have some fans thinking that Beane is finished with WRs because of Hamler.

I guess the Williamson signing means "no more safeties" too.

LOL.

Beane just needs to take a swing on an early receiver. He made the comment about not sucking bad enough for an opportunity to select a Ja’marr Chase level talent, but he’s passed on quite a few who are close to or at Chase’s level.

It's interesting to see that when he was coming up in the draft that his NFL player comp was Tavon Austin, whom da Bills had in camp this season. 

And then his scouting report mentions he can be a jet sweep/gadget type player, which reminds me of McKenzie. They definitely have a desire to add a WR with those abilities. 

2 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Just like signing Quinton Morris to a futures contract prevented us from drafting Dalton Kincaid… got it.

No, but it may have prevented us from drafting TE depth.  Between taking Knox in the 3rd in 2019 (and the failed Sweeney in the 7th) and last season's draft of Kincaid, the Bills didn't draft a single TE. 

As my posts have stated, I think the Bills must draft a WR, but that isn't going to fix a huge need at WR.  Davis is gone after this year as his play has diminished. Harty and Sherfield are ineffective and also should be gone and defenses have seemed to have caught up to Diggs.  Shakir right now is our only consistent and effective WR.  He has 16 catches in his last 16 targets.  It's pretty friggin sad when a small 5th rd receiver is your best WR option.   

Go compare what GB has done at both WR over the last 2 drafts and compare it to Buffalo over Beane's entire tenure.  

GB

WRs - Jaylen Reed (2nd 2023), Donta Wicks (5th 2023), Christian Watson (2nd 2022), Romeo Dobbs (4th in 2022).  Those 4 combined for 2500 yards and 25 TDs this season.

Buffalo - Shorter (5th 2023), Shakir (5th 2022), Stevenson (6th 2021), Davis (4th in 2020), Hodgins (6th in 2020), McCloud (6th 2018), Proehl (7th 2018).  Outside of Davis (who will be gone after this season and who drops as many as he catches) and Shakir (who took a step forward this season), none of these guys have made an impact on the Bills and we haven't been able to build a good receiving corps.  

Adding Hamler is just another hope and prayer to build cheap depth instead of properly investing in the position and building a real group of weapons for Josh like GB has for Love.  So celebrate this brilliant signing.  Maybe it will work out, but the odds are against it.  Maybe Beane will invest draft capital at WR, but given his history, I doubt that also.

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

It's interesting to see that when he was coming up in the draft that his NFL player comp was Tavon Austin, whom da Bills had in camp this season. 

And then his scouting report mentions he can be a jet sweep/gadget type player, which reminds me of McKenzie. They definitely have a desire to add a WR with those abilities. 

His highlights of his rookie year at Denver had him doing those a bunch.

15 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Let's get KJ in here working with the Bills training staff to get him up to speed. Can be a net positive for the Bills not needing to target 2 WRs in the upcoming draft. Although I'd still like for them to go there. 

We still must draft an early round wr for future insurance on Diggs.  But Hamler looks extremely promising. 

On 1/21/2024 at 1:59 PM, Thrivefourfive said:

And the pick he traded away was Justin Jefferson.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.