Chiefs players of years past

boyst

A true hero, Joe Delaney.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/forty-years-ago-today-joe-delaney-died-while-trying-to-save-three-drowning-children

I remember him running out of the tunnel on opening day at Rich Stadium in 1982. Headband and all. He was a hell of a running back and, obviously, an even better human being.

Continue to RIP, Joe Delaney.

• Thank you (+1) 2

On topic, Tamba Hali is a Hall of Very Good player.

Brandon Flowers, who I thought was a super underrated CB.

Alex Smith and Dwayne Bowe, who was the best worst WR or the worst best WR. I think those two had the “no passing TDs to WR’s” season.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Oh Jesus, was this the Tuel pick six game?

No. The following year. 2013 was Tuel pick 6 at the goalline. 2014 was 4th and 1 and the fumble through the endzone from that sh*t running back Whaley traded for from Philly.... something Brown?

We were the better team in both games. Lost them both of course.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

I remember this game.  My mom wouldn't let me stay up to watch it because I had school the next day.

Woke up, saw that score and was blown.  Maybe it's good I didn't watch it.

It was depressing. I was on the west coast so these nationally televised games were all I ever had. So each one was that much more important to me. I remember going to bed miserable when they lost and knowing my next day at school was going suck big time!

36 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No. The following year. 2013 was Tuel pick 6 at the goalline. 2014 was 4th and 1 and the fumble through the endzone from that sh*t running back Whaley traded for from Philly.... something Brown?

We were the better team in both games. Lost them both of course.

Bryce Brown. 7th rounder that we traded a fourth for because he had 3 sick games over 2 seasons behind Shady.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Who could forget All-Pro DE Art Still who was traded from the Chiefs to the Bills in 1988 and was there for the infancy stages of the soon-to-be Super Bowl teams? 

image.png.6d2db3af107b226ebd05ed15e6020d46.png

And Head Coach of the Super Bowl IV winning team, Hank Stram.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Stroke 17 said:

Going back to the old AFL days at the Rockpile, one of my 1st games.

BUCK BUCHANON, OTIS TAYLOR, JAN STENERUD, WILLIE LANIER, QB LEN DAWSON AND COACH HANK STRAM.

A few that jump out at me. 

Interesting to note that Marty Schottenheimer was on that 1968 Bills team. 

He then coached the Chiefs for 10 years in the 90's.

He had left the Browns who just couldn't get over the hump.(2-4 in playoffs) I was never worried when his teams played the Bills in a playoff game as I had long before called him Marty Choke-en-himer. He was 3-7 in playoffs with the Chiefs.

Years have passed, I am older and I have more respect for him. Actually, him as a coach is a lot like being a Bills fan, just can't get to the Promise land. I still have a chance his is gone. 

GO BILLS?

Edited by Stroke 17

Even though he played  for other teams, I always remember Ernie Ladd as a Chief.  6'9"  290 lbs. He was the biggest player in the AFL

And  who could forget his great  rasslin' career.

The BIg   Cat !!

22 minutes ago, LewPort71 said:

I always remember Ernie Ladd as a Chief.  6'9"  290 lbs. He was the biggest player in the AFL

And  who could forget his great  rasslin' career.

The BIg   Cat !!

And that's saying a lot.

This was 60 years ago when athletes were generally smaller and Buck Buchanan and Ben Davidson were both huge players too.

10 hours ago, boyst said:

We have had a recent rivalry build between the Chiefs and Bills. This rivalry has some deep roots that go back to the foundations of these teams.

As we go into tomorrow what former chiefs do you remember? Maybe why you remember them, too? Say as many as you'd like.

I will say Elvis Grbac. Because with a name like that you know he's great. 

Thought he played for the 9ers. I remember him at Michigan. 

2 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

Thought he played for the 9ers. I remember him at Michigan. 

3 yrs in SF then to KC for 4. Montana was there a while then Grbac came. Finished his career flaming out in Baltimore. 

Edited by boyst

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.