Mike Francesca blasts greedy NFL for airing Miami at KC game exclusively on Peacock

chongli

Dang, how long has it been since Ralph allowed Bills home games on tv?  At first they were not on at all, sellout or not.  (Back in the day we went down to the KofC to get the feed out of Erie with their big antenna.) RCW jr then said ok for home game tv if they were sellouts (3 days ahead of time..)  I think it took an act of Congress to get him to relent. I’m a boomer for sure.. but maybe we’re a little spoiled.  If I really want to watch it I’ll find a way to stream it. 

17 hours ago, chongli said:

NBC will most likely end up losing money since the amount of subscribers they get (probably many for just a month or two) will not justify the huge check they cut the NFL to get the exclusive rights to this game. Now the NFL, on the other hand, was more than happy to cash the check.

Not so sure on that. The amount of advertising just from word of mouth (both good and bad) is likely worth tens of millions of dollars alone. What percentage of the older TBD crowd ever heard of the Peacock streaming service before this deal? Anecdotally speaking I'm getting besieged by elderly relatives that want to know what's going on.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Yockopondowsk said:

Dang, how long has it been since Ralph allowed Bills home games on tv?  At first they were not on at all, sellout or not.  (Back in the day we went down to the KofC to get the feed out of Erie with their big antenna.) RCW jr then said ok for home game tv if they were sellouts (3 days ahead of time..)  I think it took an act of Congress to get him to relent. I’m a boomer for sure.. but maybe we’re a little spoiled.  If I really want to watch it I’ll find a way to stream it. 

Well from 1973 to 2014, it was a league rule that prevented broadcasting the game to the home market if 85% of the tickets were not sold 72 hours before the game, so Ralph had nothing to do with that. Prior to that, it was up to the team, so I believe you when Ralph said no, lol. But this was not new. The Pacific Coast Conference in college football banned TV broadcasts in 1951:

On 1/8/2024 at 8:43 AM, Gregg said:

He is not wrong here. It is a shame that many football fans will not be able to watch the game. All playoff games should be on CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC, ESPN.

I get the big four with an antenna. But disagree with ESPN.

it’s easier and cheaper for me to watch on peacock than ESPN. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/8/2024 at 9:20 AM, chongli said:

We are not sure yet.

EDIT: @RyanC883 nevermind, here is the press release:

https://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2024/01/08/nbcuniversal-is-home-to-record-three-nfl-playoff-games-on-super-wild-card-weekend-including-peacocks-presentation-of-nfls-first-ever-exclusive-live-streamed-playoff-game/

"Saturday night’s Peacock AFC Wild Card Exclusive – featuring Patrick Mahomes and the defending Super Bowl champion Kansas City Chiefs hosting the Miami Dolphins — will once again feature a commercial-free fourth quarter similar to the Dec. 23 Bills-Chargers game."

Commercial free. Yeah, right. There were no paid ads, but we had to listen to Mike Tirico constantly plug upcoming events exclusively on NBC.

It's not like we were watching players on the sidelines and seeing the fans in the stands during this "commercial free" period.

As for the Chiefs-Dolphins game, I'm not even going to watch. I'm not downloading the app, I don't care how cheap it is.
The NFL gets enough money from us. The playoffs should be on network television.

If I breakdown and have to absolutely know how the game is going, then I'll listen to it on the radio.

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/8/2024 at 11:53 AM, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

It's 5 dollars, plus you get the royal rumble at the end of the month 🙂

It's actually 6 😉

On 1/8/2024 at 11:54 AM, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

They've had TNF on prime for a couple of years - why is it different for peacock to buy a game?  

ESPN and NFL network are in far fewer houses - so people needed to buy a streaming service to watch those too.  

Because it's a playoff game

It is not the cost of the streaming service that irritates me. It's the inconvenience. I have to sign up for another streaming service I don't have any intention of keeping, giving out my personal info, and remember to cancel the service afterwards. Cancelling can be difficult to do sometimes. They make it real easy to sign up and extremely complex to cancel. It's just a big hassle that I don't need. 

If the NFL wants me to pay for games a al carte, then make it easy for me. Put it all on one service and let me pick an choose. But hey then they will go broke because they won't get their 110 mill. 😒

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, MikeSpeed said:

It is not the cost of the streaming service that irritates me. It's the inconvenience. I have to sign up for another streaming service I don't have any intention of keeping, giving out my personal info, and remember to cancel the service afterwards. Cancelling can be difficult to do sometimes. They make it real easy to sign up and extremely complex to cancel. It's just a big hassle that I don't need. 

If the NFL wants me to pay for games a al carte, then make it easy for me. Put it all on one service and let me pick an choose. But hey then they will go broke because they won't get their 110 mill. 😒

Some credit cards have "one time use" numbers.  Anytime I signup with anyone giving trouble leaving (one such site did update to terns requiring 30 day notice to leave) I use such a number or use a credit card I plan on cancelling anyways.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Some credit cards have "one time use" numbers.  Anytime I signup with anyone giving trouble leaving (one such site did update to terns requiring 30 day notice to leave) I use such a number or use a credit card I plan on cancelling anyways.

Good ideas. Still a hassle.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Man with No Name said:

i would rather pay 6 for a month of peacock than the amazon thing. Amazon jacked their already inflated price another 20 when they got the nfl package. not sure why everybody is okay with that. free shipping with orders over $35 anyway.  

Keeping Amazon because my wife uses Amazon Prime to watch her Chinese movies and series; there are a lot of them.

I originally signed up for shopping,  kept on going watching Amazon Prime but cannot watch it now unless I turn off my VPN I need to use because Commonwealth of Virginia created a stupid open ended law allowing people to sue if their children see content with violence/nudity/etc but do not specify how to block it so it is hard to prevent lawsuits.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Man with No Name said:

i would rather pay 6 for a month of peacock than the amazon thing. Amazon jacked their already inflated price another 20 when they got the nfl package. not sure why everybody is okay with that. free shipping with orders over $35 anyway.  

But then you wait for possibly weeks until your package is delivered. And isn't it only Prime that offers free returns?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.