Prices going up at hotels has started (edit: also discussing ticket pricing)

Just Jack

On 1/8/2024 at 9:13 AM, KDIGGZ said:

It's bizarre how there are no hotels near the stadium. They are investing billions into the stadium itself and then $0 surrounding the stadium.

That's the wisdom of Orchard Park town officials. The didn't want crass development to ruin the natural beauty of the 7-11 on the corner of Abbot and Southwestern.

Since I have to drive in from NH, I'm staying Saturday night in Utica. The Red Roof Inn there is $80. It's just 3 hours to the stadium Sunday morning. Hotels Sunday night get pretty cheap. Staying at the brand new Holiday Inn Express in Grand Island for $79. Then I'm doing the Sabres 1pm Monday matinee against San Jose.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

23 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That's the wisdom of Orchard Park town officials. The didn't want crass development to ruin the natural beauty of the 7-11 on the corner of Abbot and Southwestern.

Since I have to drive in from NH, I'm staying Saturday night in Utica. The Red Roof Inn there is $80. It's just 3 hours to the stadium Sunday morning. Hotels Sunday night get pretty cheap. Staying at the brand new Holiday Inn Express in Grand Island for $79. Then I'm doing the Sabres 1pm Monday matinee against Tampa.

There's not a big population in orchard Park.. 

And they get 10 days a year where the population swells... There is no reason to have multiple hotels to accommodate 20k people 

When within 10 to 20 minutes there are thousands of hotel rooms... It's not far from orchard Park to cheektowaga or the airport

And cheektowaga has 30 times the population of orchard Park

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/8/2024 at 9:23 AM, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

And the Cheapest ticket is $500! Every other game including Dallas vs. Green Bay has tickets under $200. 

This is false. Plenty of tickets available at $225 right now.

It was false yesterday too.

21 hours ago, Offside Number 76 said:

As of noon today (Jan. 8), for a single night (Saturday):

Marriott Millersport:  over $1000.

Hampton downtown:  over $1000.

Marriott downtown, Westin downtown, Embassy Suites downtown:  No rooms available.

Millennium:  Reservation system not working.

This is real money coming in to Erie County.  At least three of those hotels are owned by locals, and one is owned by the Pegulas.  The people spending this much on hotels will spend a lot on dinner and drinks, Uber and such.  This is good.

Funny. I was told not a week ago that our financial contributions to the community were minimal and we should keep our mouths shut. Hmmm.

Edited by That's No Moon
  • Haha (+1) 2

22 hours ago, Offside Number 76 said:

As of noon today (Jan. 8), for a single night (Saturday):

Marriott Millersport:  over $1000.

Hampton downtown:  over $1000.

Marriott downtown, Westin downtown, Embassy Suites downtown:  No rooms available.

Millennium:  Reservation system not working.

This is real money coming in to Erie County.  At least three of those hotels are owned by locals, and one is owned by the Pegulas.  The people spending this much on hotels will spend a lot on dinner and drinks, Uber and such.  This is good.

If you are willing to spend $1k on a hotel likely you will pay for a professional driver to take you to and from game rather than depending on finding a Über driver after game.

This one seems crazier than most. Which is odd, this isn't the first time we have hosted a wild card game. In fact, it is the 4th year in a row. 

Maybe because Pittsburgh is a short drive and about as easy as visiting travel gets? 

There won't be a situation like Buffalo in Miami, but anymore than 10% of the fans being black/gold and I will be pissed. 

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

I always book the Saturday/Sunday nights of the playoff weekends and then cancel accordingly as soon as the following weeks playoff schedule comes out.  Being a 1pm I was able to cancel both as that's early enough to drive back to Roch

That was my thought also, coming from Syracuse.  I might drive part way Saturday to make less of a drive Sunday morning though.  Not all the way to Buffalo, maybe Batavia.  Hotels are still reasonably priced there.  

Edited by Just Jack
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mango said:

This one seems crazier than most. Which is odd, this isn't the first time we have hosted a wild card game. In fact, it is the 4th year in a row. 

Maybe because Pittsburgh is a short drive and about as easy as visiting travel gets? 

There won't be a situation like Buffalo in Miami, but anymore than 10% of the fans being black/gold and I will be pissed. 

I think it is likely 15-20% Steeler fans.  Bills sell large blocks of tickets to ticket agencies and ticket brokers and they concentrate on selling to opposition fans going to Buffalo packaging them with hotels, plane fare, private tailgates and ground transportation.   Add that to fans who buy extra tickets to resell and those with season tickets but do not want to go to cold / wet games there are a lot of tickets available to buy.

My guess:

70-75% Bills fans

15-20% Steeler fans

5%-10% no shows - people selling and waited too long, asking too much. and stuck with tickets.

Know someone from Buffalo who has 8 tickets, sell 6 per game mostly to opposition fans who sometimes sells all 8 and buys cheaper tickets from someone else.

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Would you want to own a hotel filled with drunks 10 times a year and deal with damage to rooms…and also try to figure out how to fill the room the other 340 days of the year?

19 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

There's 3,000 people in orchard Park.. 

And they get 10 days a year where the population swells... There is no reason to have multiple hotels to accommodate 20k people 

When within 10 to 20 minutes there are thousands of hotel rooms... It's not far from orchard Park to cheektowaga or the airport

And cheektowaga has 30 times the population of orchard Park

It's crazy how people don't get this. How are you keeping such a hotel open the other 350 days a year? Do people want to tour the ECC South Campus? Wings at the Big Tree that big of a draw?

24 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Starting to see upper deck seats below $200 now.  

:: rubs hands together gleefully ::

(as a prospective buyer of a single ticket for Sunday’s game)

Edited by RiotAct
spellng

3 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Ticket prices have gone down some in the last 24 hours.  Now lots of seats under $250.  Even some club seats that someone posts at $2K yesterday are down to $1200 today.  

No worries the Nashville and Miami takeover folks will probably buy those up and fly in for a wintry game in Buffalo. :lol:

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No worries the Nashville and Miami takeover folks will probably buy those up and fly in for a wintry game in Buffalo. :lol:

The best part, those club seats are in the first row, so no overhead coverage from the weather, and very little effect from the heaters.  You're only paying for the club area itself when you buy those.  Might as well get a regular seat instead.  

Section 238, row 1 if you want to check it out

AFC Wild Card: Buffalo Bills v Pittsburgh Steelers Tickets Jan 14, 2024 Orchard Park, NY | Ticketmaster

Edited by Just Jack
  • Like (+1) 1

• Just Jack changed the title to Prices going up at hotels has started (edit: also discussing ticket pricing)

Given it is a 1pm game, if I was flying in, I would be looking at Toronto.

It's really easy to get nonstop flights there from most major US airports, and you will have significantly better hotel options.

2 hours ago, Mango said:

I thought the NFL always distributes a certain % of tickets to visiting team for Playoffs.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.