Will Sherfield be better in the #2 role than Davis???

Gabe vs Sherfield   

197 members have voted

1. 1. Will Sherfield be better in the #2 role than Davis???

19 hours ago, Wizard said:

…Maybe Adonai Mitchell or Xavier Leggette will be available.

Egbuka & Franklin should be there at the end of Day 1, and Coleman may also be.  That being said, personal workouts and combine numbers/interviews can send players soaring or falling. 

Edited by LabattBlue

I voted no but honestly it's close.  Davis isn't that much better.  We actually may be better off with Sherfield on the field though.  Too many miscommunication problems between Josh and Gabe.

I love Gabe as a guy I believe is a great teammate and friend to the players.  I also obviously love playoff Gabe.  What I don't love is his play outside of that.  Too unreliable. Him and Josh have not been on the same page all season.  Most of Josh turnovers are his direction.  

Sherfield was an unsung hero this past week and had many key blocks/picks.  Obviously the whacky TD too.

• Disagree 1

On 1/7/2024 at 9:43 PM, Nelius said:

I think it’s going to be more of the same - continued disappointment in the #2 role and Sherf Sr as more targets drift to Kincaid and Shakir. For what it’s worth I do not think Sherfield is a better WR than Gabe no, but also am not sure if it matters much 

My thinking is that Josh has been forcing the ball to Gabe at times because they're close and Josh wants his friend to get paid.

Josh won't feel that way with Sherfield and the Bills won't lose much if anything at all in WR blocking since Sherfield was the best blocking WR via PFF last season.

On 1/9/2024 at 4:57 PM, Scott7975 said:

I voted no but honestly it's close.  Davis isn't that much better.  We actually may be better off with Sherfield on the field though.  Too many miscommunication problems between Josh and Gabe.

I love Gabe as a guy I believe is a great teammate and friend to the players.  I also obviously love playoff Gabe.  What I don't love is his play outside of that.  Too unreliable. Him and Josh have not been on the same page all season.  Most of Josh turnovers are his direction.  

Sherfield was an unsung hero this past week and had many key blocks/picks.  Obviously the whacky TD too.

Stop 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/3122168/trent-sherfield

On 1/8/2024 at 12:18 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

I liked the Sherfield signing, even said that I felt he could step in and replicate Davis production if Davis got hurt.  And I still think he could...HOWEVER...lets not let one sensational play over shadow one issue that has been in play throughout the season.  And that is that Sherfield and Allen have had some of the "not on the same page" communication things that Davis has had.  

Now a big part of that could be simply Sherfield barely getting any reps to build that rapport, but I don't think that him stepping into Davis role automatically becomes a better connection in terms of those communication issues. 

So...do I think Sherfield "could" be a  better WR2 in the playoffs if Davis misses time...sure, the potential is there, but also not sold that him and Josh have enough rapport to not lead to communication error turnovers like that has plagued the Davis Allen connection at times (38% of thrown INTs are to Davis).  

My next thing is Shakir...if Davis misses some time (and I kind of would like to see the offense one full game with Davis out say this week), I would much rather see Shakir get a bigger slice of a role and have more plays designed and called for him.  Personally, I think Shakir could be a big producer if featured in an offense like how Nacua was for the Rams this year.  When I watch Nacua here in LA this year, I kept saying I don't see him doing anything that I don't firmly believe Shakir could do if he was in his role in LA.  

So, nothing against Shefield, but I personally think that Shakir is the one we will see really step up more if Davis misses time, or at least I think it should be because him and Allen seem to be dialed in when Allen goes his way. 

Alpha, I respect your opinion but what about his career suggestions he is anything more than a replacement level wr? 

the Gabe hate (not you) has gone absolutely crazy on this board. One season of his career almost beats TS’s career. 

On 1/8/2024 at 9:19 AM, skibum said:

The guy has one highlight-reel catch and we're anointing him the new #2.

Sherfield had 86 yards all season. Gabe had five games with more than that. Come on, people. 

It’s absolutely idiotic and based on nothing. 

he could make a few plays but saying he is better than a guy who averages 800 yards/ season (almost TS’s whole career) is just hating to hate. 

• Disagree 1

17 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Stop 

Alpha, I respect your opinion but what about his career suggestions he is anything more than a replacement level wr? 

the Gabe hate (not you) has gone absolutely crazy on this board. One season of his career almost beats TS’s career. 

he could make a few plays but saying he is better than a guy who averages 800 yards/ season (almost TS’s whole career) is just hating to hate. 

You're looking at this the wrong way.

The problem isn't production.  Gabe is a more productive WR.  But that neglects all the problems in our offense that frequently run through him.  

Josh's passer rating when targeting Gabe is flat-out awful!  There's constant miscommunication resulting in (at best) incompletions and (at worst) interceptions.  Gabe's catch % on balls when targeted are awful.

Maybe Sherfield isn't targeted and therefore nearly as productive as Gabe... but maybe that's part of the point.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The problem isn't production.  Gabe is a more productive WR.  But that neglects all the problems in our offense that frequently run through him.  

Josh's passer rating when targeting Gabe is flat-out awful!  There's constant miscommunication resulting in (at best) incompletions and (at worst) interceptions.  Gabe's catch % on balls when targeted are awful.

Maybe Sherfield isn't targeted and therefore nearly as productive as Gabe... but maybe that's part of the point.

Gabe can stretch a defense, but doesn't have top end speed. He only has the 3 ball and that is not what we need right now. While he is certainly better than Sherfield I think we will see more of an effort to replace his production with Kinkaid, Shakir, and Knox. At which point I view it as addition by subtraction. All of those players are opposite of Gabe. Great post players, great 2 point shooters. They do well over the middle and within 10-15 yards. They often serve as check down or safety valve where Gabe is a home run guy. What Josh doesn't need right now is focusing on home runs. He needs to feel free to be him, but utilize players that force him into more methodical play styles. We die in the postseason when we can't connect first downs and stay on the field. Gabe isn't going to help you do either and in a high wind game to boot, his run blocking will be missed, but you aren't hitting a 3 pointer Sunday. 

On 1/9/2024 at 4:49 PM, LabattBlue said:

Egbuka & Franklin should be there at the end of Day 1, and Coleman may also be.  That being said, personal workouts and combine numbers/interviews can send players soaring or falling. 

Egbuka announced that he is returning to TOSU next season, so he is out.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Stop 

Stop what?  I don't think Sherfield is a better receiver.  Its more so addition by subtraction for me.  Josh and Gabe simply aren't on the same page and too many costly mistakes can and do happen regularly between Josh and Gabe.  Sorry bro but thats a fact.  Sherfield is just as good a blocker.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

All good, and respect you too.  But if you read my post, I made the case for Shakir, not Sherfield to get more targets if Davis misses time.  

As far as my opinion of Sherfield, well I have followed his career since SF.  He was buried there behind Deebo and Aiyuk and actually outplayed both but still sat because they had too much invested draft capital wise and wanted to see what they could do.  Then in Miami, they bring in Hill after he signs there and again gets buried but still manages to be the 3rd guy and have a solid season.  Then he arrives in Buffalo and gets stuck behind Diggs and Davis while also being even more buried for targets with us drafting Kincaid, having Shakir, Knox and Cook too.  

So for me, I have seen potential in him and think he has had some bad luck of getting stuck behind a lot talent and no one really having enough invested in him to elevate him and get the same opportunities.  But I also do NOT think he has a lot of timing and rapport with Allen right now, and the lack of targets and reps are certainly a big factor of that.  Another reason why I think Shakir needs to be the one who sees more targets.

I don't know how good or bad Trent would be in a more regular role, but I think there is potential in there and given Gabe most often puts up 0-3 catches, I think he could at the very least hit those kinds of marks if he had to play more.

But again, Shakir is my guy.  I think he needs to be a staple of the offense.  

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Yeah, this is really what I struggle with Davis with too.  On one hand, it is great he run blocks...but its disturbing that nearly 40% of Allens INT have come throwing to Davis as well as how often he contributes almost nothing offensively beyond blocking.  He is a WR2 but the stat sheet reads more like a low level TE on a week to week basis with an occasional big game.  His "Big Game Gabe" nickname is more ironic than accurate as he has so few big games on his resume in either the reg season or post season.  I just don't like the all or nothing kind of stat line for him, especially the "nothing" is the much more common occurrence.

• Agree 1

Sherfield has been waiting for this opportunity.  Gabe is a great blocker- so is Sherf.  Gabe goes deep- so does Sherf, and Sherf is faster.  Next man up.  Spector stepped up.  Dane stepped up.  Van Demark stepped up.  Shakir stepped up.  Poona stepped up.  Now watch Sherf step up.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/8/2024 at 2:43 AM, Nelius said:

I think it’s going to be more of the same - continued disappointment in the #2 role and Sherf Sr as more targets drift to Kincaid and Shakir. For what it’s worth I do not think Sherfield is a better WR than Gabe no, but also am not sure if it matters much 

This.  Gabes targets go primarily to Kincaid, and Shakir gets some more opportunities, which is a good thing IMO.

Gabe may be the best downfield blocker on the team. It’s an unusual thing to be dominate at - I’ve never considered it to be a needed skill for a great WR. But without this, several big plays would not have been do big. 

That said, he’s clearly not a WR2 in the traditional sense of ….. well, catching a football. 

So while he’s a unicorn when it comes to downfield blocking, that doesn’t trump his downfall from potential  WR1 on a team that doesn’t have a Diggs on the roster to a guy who seemingly gets lost on routes (some were Josh’s fault no doubt) and literally struggles to catch. 

He’s not Von Miller level of useless. Few are. But he’s not Sheffield had nothing but upside in my exhausted opinion. 

Ya know, if we are lucky TS will turn out to be totally kick azs and we will worship him like Diggs ,  it could happen…, 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.