Double dip at receiver?

whorlnut

24 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

2017 - Corey Davis (bust), Mike Williams, Ross (bust) - 66%

2018 - DJ Moore, Calvin Ridley - 0%

2019 - Hollywood Brown (not a bust, but 1 1000 yard season in 5 isn't leaping off the page), Nkeal Harry - BUST - 50%

2020 - Ruggs (bust), Jeudy (0 1000 yard seasons, i'm leaning bust), Lamb, Reagor (Bust), Jefferson, Aiyuk.  3/6 - 50%

2021 - Chase, Waddle, Smith, Toney (Bust), Bateman (bust) - 2/5 - 40%

2022 - Too early to tell fully - but seems like a solid class.  London, Burks, Dotson all don't have QBs, and Williams is not getting snaps.  Olave and Wilson look solid even without good QBs.  

2023 - Obviously very early but feels like Johnston is headed towards bust territory. Addison and Zay are off to good starts and JSN could go either way.

4 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Free agency is relatively stacked at WR and the draft is crazy this year. It might not be Odunze, but someone that's considered that tier of prospect will likely be available at our pick.

Obviously a lot can change between now and April, but Nabers is currently viewed as a top 10 pick. Odunze at the moment seems more attainable, but probably still out of reach for us barring a trade up. But there's like 10 WRs this year that have a chance of going in the first round so there will be talent available for sure.

Nabers is closer to Harrison than he is to Odunze for me. I’m completely sold that Nabers and Harrison are going to be top notch #1 WR stars. Odunze a possibility as well. 

I think all 3 are gone by 20 no doubt so we will need to trade up. It’s time for Beane to pay up and get us a stud to replace Diggs. 

Let the record show I want nothing to do with Coleman

Edited by DJB

Double-dip? Sure, in the 1st and maybe 5th. Definitely not 1 and 2 tho.

Between Diggs, Shakir, Kincaid, and Cook (and even Knox) only so many balls to go around. Not worth wasting a high pick like another 2nd on a guy who wont get many touches.

34 minutes ago, mannc said:

And you’re trying to deny that the Vikings got the best of the Diggs trade, which is inarguable, on the grounds that they “got lucky”…that’s a pretty weak hill to stand on.

They will be going Safety in round 1, and maybe WR in round 2.  Beane will say WR was a deeper position in the draft and they still got a good player, etc…

Both teams came out on top. The bills needed someone that could come in and be the number one right away as they were trying to figure out what they had in Allen. Diggs has delivered in spades. Minny got a prospect that turned into the best receiver in the league, but they were in a different situation as they already had thielen and had time to develop him. I’m not sure why you can’t see that. 

Id bet anything that we won’t take a safety in 1. I think that’s a firable offense for Beane considering how bad our receiving corp has looked. And it’s been talked about as nauseam how good McD is at developing DBs. He can get a safety in FA or in the mid rounds and he would be more than ok.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, whorlnut said:

That would be awesome but I can’t see them paying that since we don’t have any cap. 

It requires reallocating the cap spending.  Shed some defensive spending in Tre and probably Po along with jettisoning Sherfield.

IMO the WR hole is too important to hope a rookie can fill it.  I believe there was real interest in the FO for OBJ and DHop but they dropped out at a certain price point.  I wish they had been more aggressive and got one.  I wonder if Beane feels the same way.

My hope is a veteran WR for a 2 yr deal (to overlap Diggs) and get a rookie WR for the future.  There are some good veterans DHop and M Evans.  This should be the big FA spend.

4 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

2023 - Obviously very early but feels like Johnston is headed towards bust territory. Addison and Zay are off to good starts and JSN could go either way.

Given every chance for playing time Johnston has been outplayed by Palmer.  Not a good look, even if you're just a rookie.  

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Double-dip? Sure, in the 1st and maybe 5th. Definitely not 1 and 2 tho.

Between Diggs, Shakir, Kincaid, and Cook (and even Knox) only so many balls to go around. Not worth wasting a high pick like another 2nd on a guy who wont get many touches.

Definitely not, huh?  Even though there is a precedent with Beane when he identifies a weakness?

5 minutes ago, DJB said:

It’s still relevant to the trade itself but cool 👍

It is- the trade isn’t the topic at hand until the goal post was moved into a different country.  

But since the goal post was moved and people are now trying to make “who won the trade” into the topic-  I’ll play.  Do you think the Vikings win the trade if they don’t win a SB with Jefferson while the Bills win one with Diggs?  

The way I see it, we need 3 wrs next year, and I'm not talking the Harty, Sherfield, Mckenzies types.  Draft 2 recievers high, a 1a to eventually replace Diggs, 4th round draft a #3 that's better than Shakir, sign a decent #2.  I hope they don't sign Davis.  Wr should be the focus.  It has been neglected too much to have Josh Allen as your QB.  There should be competition at WR not handing starting positions to other teams castaways who have never done anything expecting them to do so here.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Both teams came out on top. The bills needed someone that could come in and be the number one right away as they were trying to figure out what they had in Allen. Diggs has delivered in spades. Minny got a prospect that turned into the best receiver in the league, but they were in a different situation as they already had thielen and had time to develop him. I’m not sure why you can’t see that. 

Id bet anything that we won’t take a safety in 1. I think that’s a firable offense for Beane considering how bad our receiving corp has looked. And it’s been talked about as nauseam how good McD is at developing DBs. He can get a safety in FA or in the mid rounds and he would be more than ok.

I think it'd more likely be a DE than a safety in the first.  I can't see any of the top 3 WRs falling to Buffalo, and the drop off to the next group is pretty large.  One of the top 5 DE's seems more realistic.  

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

It is- the trade isn’t the topic at hand until the goal post was moved into a different country.  

But since the goal post was moved and people are now trying to make “who won the trade” into the topic-  I’ll play.  Do you think the Vikings win the trade if they don’t win a SB with Jefferson while the Bills win one with Diggs?  

A trade isn’t entirely evaluated based on SB’s though. 

9 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

@BADOLBILZ why is that so funny?

Because he's not even on an NFL 53 man roster?     If he makes your top 6 out of camp next year either something went very wrong or he had a huge career shift.  

There are always "futures" contract signings.........but the likes of Andy Isabella, Tyrell Shavers and Bryan Thompson chances of making the 53 and sticking........let alone making any notable impact.........should be considered very small.

Reality is that they could end up with only Diggs and Shakir as WR under contract heading into March who have played regularly in the NFL. 

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Definitely not, huh?  Even though there is a precedent with Beane when he identifies a weakness?

There are several precedents at work with regards to Beane and the draft.

personally, I don’t think there’s zero chance of going WR in rd 1 and 2.  I’d guesstimate around 5%.

looking at our roster for next season (based on current contracts) DL is a massive weakness.  Much weaker than WR.  We have Ed, Rousseau, von and Jonathan to fill a 8-9 man rotation. 2 are currently good players.  

2 minutes ago, DJB said:

Thanks for not answering the question.  

3 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I think it'd more likely be a DE than a safety in the first.  I can't see any of the top 3 WRs falling to Buffalo, and the drop off to the next group is pretty large.  One of the top 5 DE's seems more realistic.  

The drop off is large?  Haha! Says who? You?!  Come on…this receiver class has at least 6-8 that are considered first round picks. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, DJB said:

And I disagree-  Winning super bowls is the ONLY thing that matters.  If one team wins one and the other doesn’t-  it’s clear who the winner is.  

we see this in a different light.  That’s cool. Agree to disagree. 

Just now, whorlnut said:

The drop off is large?  Haha! Says who? You?!  Come on…this receiver class has at least 6-8 that are considered first round picks. 

Harrison, Nabers, Odunze are the 3 that most mock drafts indicate will be the first 3 off the board, and are the consensus best prospects.  Obviously that doesn't mean that they'll be the best players, but they are the Chase/Waddle/Smith group at the top of the class.  

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I think this has yet to be determined.  I’d be shocked if the number were 7-8 but it is a valuable position.

I agree that there is a clear gap between the top 3 and everyone else.  Top 3 could all be top 10 picks.  I’d be shocked if there were another WR taken ahead of harrison, Nabers and Odunze.  But it’s early in the process, you never know

Edit:  but then again, the raiders could shock the world and take Leggette over one of those 3

Edited by NewEra

20 minutes ago, DJB said:

Nabers is closer to Harrison than he is to Odunze for me. I’m completely sold that Nabers and Harrison are going to be top notch #1 WR stars. Odunze a possibility as well. 

I think all 3 are gone by 20 no doubt so we will need to trade up. It’s time for Beane to pay up and get us a stud to replace Diggs. 

There is no way we trade up with all the holes we need to fill on the roster and our limited cap space. It’s actually a lot more likely we trade down and grab more picks.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, DJB said:

I'm cool with a trade up, if it makes sense, but am also enamored with Troy Franklin's size, speed and overall talent.  To the point where I'm hoping a trade up isn't necessary.  

Franklin is a gamebreaker.  

100% with you on Coleman.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.