Verizon FIOS will be in dispute with Sinclair Broadcast Group in 2024

Punching Bag

https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/content-agreement-information/sinclair/?CMP=OLA_CON_OTH_22222_NA_20231219_NA_NM20230137_00001

Many stations including stations in Buffalo which could host playoff games.

Verizon FIOS complains about amount they charge but they do not reduce bill for amount they are not paying provider so they are making extra income.

10 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Bold move threatening to remove Fox before the playoffs.  Luckily, if we do make the playoffs it will be on any station but Fox.  As an aside, switching from cable to YouTube TV was the best move I made.

Money grab of course.  Hold consumers hostage to line their pockets.

OTA antennas are easy to use and work very well. Myself?  Got rid of DTV a few months back for YouTube TV and have not regretted it.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Money grab of course.  Hold consumers hostage to line their pockets.

OTA antennas are easy to use and work very well. Myself?  Got rid of DTV a few months back for YouTube TV and have not regretted it.

We went OTA and streaming services several months ago.  I’m amazed that in addition to the Syracuse stations, I can pick up a couple from Utica and Watertown. 

• Like (+1) 1

I have Verizon Fios and in Albany that would mean no CW and more important, no CBS. However I have the TV in my bedroom hooked up to an antenna so all it means is instead of watching on my main TV in the living room, I'll go watch it in my bedroom by simply changing the input from cable to TV. Everyone with some form of cable should have at least one TV in the house set up to switch to over the air channels.  It's so simple even a mancaveman can do it.

Just now, Albany,n.y. said:

I have Verizon Fios and in Albany that would mean no CW and more important, no CBS. However I have the TV in my bedroom hooked up to an antenna so all it means is instead of watching on my main TV in the living room, I'll go watch it in my bedroom by simply changing the input from cable to TV. Everyone with some form of cable should have at least one TV in the house set up to switch to over the air channels.  It's so simple even a mancaveman can do it.

I tried but each antenna I bought failed; even had my wife try and she is very good at that type of thing.  Too many trees in around my house I guess.

6 hours ago, Limeaid said:

https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/content-agreement-information/sinclair/?CMP=OLA_CON_OTH_22222_NA_20231219_NA_NM20230137_00001

Many stations including stations in Buffalo which could host playoff games.

Verizon FIOS complains about amount they charge but they do not reduce bill for amount they are not paying provider so they are making extra income.

Just a PSA here. If you live within the coverage of a Fox TV channel, you can get the station over the air. Just hook up an antenna to your TV. (Assuming it has a TV tuner. Some Smart TVs don't )

So screw the cable companies, etc. Over the Air TV is one useful relic remaining from the days of broadcasting as a public service. (What a concept!)

• Like (+1) 1

Amazon Prime is jamming commercials into their already pay $139 a year for. Then allowing you the privilege of paying $3 to skip them. The cheapest Netflix plan without commercials is $15.49. That's after they threatened you for *gasp* sharing your account with your own flesh and blood. Disney has raised rates and will be cracking down on account sharing in 2024 because it worked so well for Netflix last year. Sunday ticket suckered plenty into their $72 a month Youtube tv package. The average cost of cable and internet per month is $150. 

Everyone is rolling over and either paying for cable they don't use or being gouged for streaming they already have to pay an ISP for. Seems like the Bud Light boycott energy would have been better spent on things like this during a recession with high inflation.  

30 minutes ago, benderbender said:

Amazon Prime is jamming commercials into their already pay $139 a year for. Then allowing you the privilege of paying $3 to skip them. The cheapest Netflix plan without commercials is $15.49. That's after they threatened you for *gasp* sharing your account with your own flesh and blood. Disney has raised rates and will be cracking down on account sharing in 2024 because it worked so well for Netflix last year. Sunday ticket suckered plenty into their $72 a month Youtube tv package. The average cost of cable and internet per month is $150. 

Everyone is rolling over and either paying for cable they don't use or being gouged for streaming they already have to pay an ISP for. Seems like the Bud Light boycott energy would have been better spent on things like this during a recession with high inflation.  

Yeah... I got the Amazon email yesterday that they are adding commercials starting on 29 January.

I was on the fence as to whether I wanted to continue Prime. Now that they are adding commercials, I may cancel.

I think there will be a shakeout in the streaming industry soon. They are all charging too much and people are already stressed by inflation. Something's gotta break.

10 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Locally, Fox is probably  the easiest signal to pull from an OTA antenna, and your picture will be cleaner than any other source to boot. 

Not if you live in out lying counties.  And, that includes Niagara County.  Colden based broadcasters have weak signals the other side of Earie County, and the FCC didn't care when they mandated digital conversion.  (the FCC thinks everybody should buy cable or satellite and are shilling for those providers.)

I have a Clearsteam 4 antenna, output to a pre-amp then split the single using an amplified splitter about 5 ways to five different TV's in my house including a TIVO OTA DVR.  That is how I watch most of my TV via the TIVO DVR and other than on rare occasions when very windy everything works fine.  I also have YTTV mainly because I have two houses and 2nd house doesn't have good reception with an antenna so there YTTV is my primary mode of watching. But when home in primary location also use YTTV for non over the air stuff like ESPN, TNT, etc.  YTTV allows me to access in two locations so cheaper than any other alternatives other than Sling

I will say I'm am planning on trying again in 2nd house with antenna in different spot.  If I could get that to work consistently, ,may buy another TIVO and go with that in both locations and dump YTTV also and go with Sling to save some money.

I just use an antenna. Live by the airport and have 0 issues with any channel but 2. My roommate and me split our subscriptions. I get Netflix through my phone and pay for HBO max and Peacock, both of which I get a discount from American Express. He gives me Disney, Hulu, and Paramount. I use my dad's Amazon Prime. 

Netflix demanding more money from people after changing their policy for more money was pathetic. I would cancel Netflix if I didn't get it for free.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.