Around the League Week 16

PetermansRedemption

1 hour ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

A Ravens loss & they are both 11-4 next week playing for 1st place, which motivates them. Makes next week more meaningful for both teams.

Huh? It's the same situation. Are you dense? If the Ravens lead by a game going into it and Miami wins head to head they are even but Miami wins the tie breaker.

Also this isn't really how it works in pro sports.

4 minutes ago, stuvian said:

A little surprised as to why the 49ers went with a pass first game plan when they have a healthy McCaffrey 

Sometimes Shanahan outsmarts himself.  He put the game in the hands of Purdy and we can see the result.

Just now, dakrider said:

Right now Baltimore and Cleveland are looking like 2 best teams in NFL, followed by Miami and Buffalo.

Until next week or the week after.  I've never seen such a topsy turvey NFL season like this one.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Sometimes Shanahan outsmarts himself.  He put the game in the hands of Purdy and we can see the result.

Until next week or the week after.  I've never seen such a topsy turvey NFL season like this one.

Wondering if he's holding McCaffrey back for the playoffs 

2 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

Shanahan buying into the Purdy hype and not realizing that McCaffrey is the heart and soul of their offense

It backfired tonight

I think he's holding back on McCaffrey. He saving him for NFC opponents while Purdy gets to test himself against the best AFC defense which he wouldn't have to worry about until the Superbowl 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, stuvian said:

I think he's holding back on McCaffrey. He saving him for NFC opponents while Purdy gets to test himself against the best AFC defense which he wouldn't have to worry about until the Superbowl 

I think we're just being unfairly harsh to Purdy. We've seen fans of other team criticize Josh for similar games, claim "he only got good when Diggs got there" (Trayvon even suggested the same thing), had analysts mock the idea that he was as good as Mahomes (after people hyped him up), blah blah blah.

Purdy was taken as the 262nd pick overall, playing in his 2nd year... No matter what anyone says, no matter the talent around them, few QBs have been as successful as he's been while also putting up those numbers. We've seen "game managers" do well, even winning Super Bowls, but Purdy's done more than that. 

MVP? Hell no. But he deserves credit, bad game aside.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

• Simon unpinned this topic
3 minutes ago, stuvian said:

One serious thrashing. If this is a Superbowl preview the game will be a blowout 

Not too sure about that.

SF was clearly unfocused tonight all over the field and up and down the sideline.

I think you'll see a very different team mentally when they're not playing with house money on Christmas night.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Simon said:

Not too sure about that.

SF was clearly unfocused tonight all over the field and up and down the sideline.

I think you'll see a very different team mentally when they're not playing with house money on Christmas night.

I tend to agree. I also think this preview helps Shanahan more than it helps Harbaugh. 

The Ravens made a lot of great plays, but they "only" won by 14 with a +5 turnover differential. I don't expect that to happen often, and you can't count on those bobbled/dropped/tipped passes to all land perfectly in your defenders' hands like they did tonight. 

Just think of how many would-be INTs Dak could've had against the Bills. I can remember at least 3 times a defender had a play on the ball but dropped it, and that's not counting tips/drops that landed safely on the ground. The Ravens caught em all! 😅

1 minute ago, BigDingus said:

I tend to agree. I also think this preview helps Shanahan more than it helps Harbaugh. 

The Ravens made a lot of great plays, but they "only" won by 14 with a +5 turnover differential. I don't expect that to happen often, and you can't count on those bobbled/dropped/tipped passes to all land perfectly in your defenders' hands like they did tonight. 

Just think of how many would-be INTs Dak could've had against the Bills. I can remember at least 3 times a defender had a play on the ball but dropped it, and that's not counting tips/drops that landed safely on the ground. The Ravens caught em all! 😅

Mahomes had a very similar tip ball against the Raiders, but it bounced back to him rather than to a Raider. The Ravens made their own luck, but they were lucky tonight. I just hope they haven't used it all up, nor is next week a come down game from them.

12 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Huh? It's the same situation. Are you dense? If the Ravens lead by a game going into it and Miami wins head to head they are even but Miami wins the tie breaker.

Also this isn't really how it works in pro sports.

No. Not the same. Now Ravens can loose next week (have the same record w/ Phins having tie breaker) & as long as they win the following week & we beat the Phins they are the 1 seed. If they had lost yesterday they would have to win next week or there is no possibility of the 1 seed bc they'd be a game behind Phins record wise w/ 1 game left & Phins would have the tie breaker. It would have put all the pressure on next week to win for the 1.

All water under the bridge at this point, they won. Little more pressure on Phins, but it's at Baltimore & Phins are banged up. Hopefully Ravens get it done. 

Edited by Donuts and Doritos

10 hours ago, BRH said:

Don’t get it twisted… the Ravens’ defense is winning this game.  Lamar’s MVP stock doesn’t go as high as you’d think from this. 

He's difficult to defend. If you get to him quick on a blitz, fine. Once he breaks containment odds are in his favor.

20-1 vs NFC teams in his career. Obviously, seeing him once every 4 years is a part of that. AFC teams see him more often, so they have a decent idea of how to defend him.

To me, the main MVP candidates are Lamar, McCaffrey, JA, Mahomes, & Myles Garrett. Remove these guys from their teams and they're .500 ish.

Edited by DrBob806
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

Idk, lately, which is what I’m referring to, not the SuperBowl he was gifted last season, he seems to be doing quite a bit of losing… Today literally all on him.

I meant he has a problem winning too!  

43 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

No. Not the same. Now Ravens can loose next week (have the same record w/ Phins having tie breaker) & as long as they win the following week & we beat the Phins they are the 1 seed. If they had lost yesterday they would have to win next week or there is no possibility of the 1 seed bc they'd be a game behind Phins record wise w/ 1 game left & Phins would have the tie breaker. It would have put all the pressure on next week to win for the 1.

All water under the bridge at this point, they won. Little more pressure on Phone, but it's at Baltimore & Phins are banged up. Hopefully Ravens get it done. 

Yes because they are going to be cool with losing to Miami and then not bother trying week 18 because they are sure we will beat them.

Do you realize how silly you sound? As if pro athletes are going to go thru this thought process.

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Yes because they are going to be cool with losing to Miami and then not bother trying week 18 because they are sure we will beat them.

Do you realize how silly you sound? As if pro athletes are going to go thru this thought process.

Maybe if you didn't read it in a "silly" voice. 😉

I'm not saying they won't play hard no matter what. Talking pressure & motivation. They're aware of their seeding. Look at Allen saying since the Philly game, we have to play like its the playoffs. Bc they know each game could mean elimination. They'd play hard regardless, but there's a little more urgency there. (Like Michael Jordan looking for every little ounce of motivation, even inventing slights to help reach another level. See, The Last Dance).

Ravens will absolutely play hard, Phins have just a little more pressure now that the Ravens won. Still like Ravens chances at home with the team they have & Dolphins injuries. Go Bills! Happy New years.

Edited by Donuts and Doritos

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.