OT: On this day 43 years ago, NBC experimented with an announcer-less game (Jets at Miami)

chongli

They should use AI to provide any voice you want. You could have vito corleone announcing with Rocky Balboa providing the color commentry.

"Tyreek Hill with a touchdown. That's so disrespectful the way he treats women. And he's never even invited me to his home for a cup of coffee"

"Ay, yo, vito. You think maybe you're bein a little hard the guy you know? The guy took a shot at breakin the record"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

16 hours ago, chongli said:

NBC experimented with an announcer-less game in Week 16 of 1980 (NYJ-MIA) on Saturday, December 20, 1980, a few days before Christmas in a meaningless final game. [Some wish they would do that now with Chris Collinsworth.]

I so wish we could pick the audio for the games. Collinsworth is the WORST, but Romo has been getting pretty annoying lately, too. 

pretty cool & yes i wouldnt be surprised to see in the future: more options for how we consume the games.

At least match it up with what some free streaming sites offer: the ability to change from the home feed's broadcast to the away teams instead.

Also when NBCSports 1st revamped their streaming of the game, initially they allowed viewers to choose & select the camera view they watched. For instance endzone cameras or sideline cameras or the "Star" camera, which just follows the 'star' players around.

For some reason the streaming service reversed those features, or perhaps they've now been paywalled behind a subscription service? Would make sense. I simply dont know because i get all i want for free elsewhere.

But more options & choice in how fans consume the game should be in store eventually.

As VR becomes more effective & lives up to its potential: we should see more VR options to watch the games as well. Haptic feedback devices would be pretty sweet. Where you actually feel the hits on the field. Would be pretty cool :P

17 hours ago, chongli said:

Note the beginning of the video:

screenshot announcerless game.jpg

Buffalo dominated the NFL that year. We led the NFL in 3rd-down efficiency, total defense, and sacks allowed. We were 5-2 against teams with winning records. We beat San Diego, Oakland, LA, Pittsburgh, and New England. Only a fluke play against San Diego in the playoffs in the last-minute cost us the game.

Sounds Billsy

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, chongli said:

Note the beginning of the video:

screenshot announcerless game.jpg

Buffalo dominated the NFL that year. We led the NFL in 3rd-down efficiency, total defense, and sacks allowed. We were 5-2 against teams with winning records. We beat San Diego, Oakland, LA, Pittsburgh, and New England. Only a fluke play against San Diego in the playoffs in the last-minute cost us the game.

If I remember this correctly. If the Bills would have beaten the Chargers, then they would have played the AFCCG at Rich Stadium against the Raiders. The Bills had beaten the Raiders that season 24-7 with Oakland's only score coming off a pick 6. Good chance the Bills would have played the Eagles in the Super Bowl that year if they had won at SD.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Gregg said:

If I remember this correctly. If the Bills would have beaten the Chargers, then they would have played the AFCCG at Rich Stadium against the Raiders. The Bills had beaten the Raiders that season 24-7 with Oakland's only score coming off a pick 6. Good chance the Bills would have played the Eagles in the Super Bowl that year if they had won at SD.

Yep...the Bills got screwed that year. All three division winners in the AFC were 11-5: Buffalo, San Diego, and Cleveland. We also beat San Diego in the regular season on the road. The AFC seedings were:

1. San Diego - 11-5

2. Cleveland - 11-5

3. Buffalo - 11-5

4. Oakland - 11-5 (Wild Card)

5. Houston - 11-5 (Wild Card)

------------------------------------------------------

Missed playoffs but had winning record:

6. New England - 10-6

7. Pittsburgh - 9-7

As the three-seed, we had to go to number one San Diego in the divisionals. At that time, teams from the same division were not allowed to play each other in the divisionals, so number four Oakland could not go to number one San Diego. Nowadays, that is allowed, as there is no conference re-seeding after the Wild Cards. That is why the Giants played Philly last year in the divisionals.

So if this were now, we would have gone to number two Cleveland in the divisionals and beaten them. They were good, but not that good. It took a miracle for Oakland to beat them in the divisionals. Then we would have hosted San Diego or Oakland and obliterated them in the cold, just like San Diego could not handle the cold in the 1981 AFC Championship game at Cincinnati. Warm weather teams back then had a hard time beating cold-weather teams in the cold. We beat both in the regular season. Then onto the SB to beat Philadelphia. Oakland destroyed them, and we could have too. We got screwed out of the SB that year because of the formula the NFL used.

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/20/2023 at 9:40 PM, MJS said:

I wish they would have that as a broadcast option for every game. Sometimes the announcers are just way too annoying.

That and a wider shot of the field so I can see the line changes and the whole play. 

No more ultra close up reaction shots for every pedestrian play. I’d watch that channel. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I remember watching that game. At the time it was very odd and I didnt like it. I missed the announcers! The announcers though back then were great. Especially NBC with Dick Enberg and Merlon Olsen, Charlie Jones, Don Criqui. I didnt like the CBS gang as much (Summerall and Madden etc). The Monday night bunch were interesting with Cosell but I was never allowed to stay up late and watch by my overbearing parents on a school night! 

The one thing I do remember about this game was that it was hard to follow what was going on. As an 12 year old with a short attention span and relatively new to football, the announcers did a great job of explaining the intricacies of the game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.