Overtime Rules for Playoffs

VaMilBill

I don’t want to put the cart before the horse, but I have a feeling some individuals at One Bills Drive reads this board and pulls some info from here. Maybe not coaches, but people close with decision makers. 

Anyways, with the new OT rules created post 13 seconds for the playoffs, I can’t imagine a scenario where you would ever want to receive if you win the toss. 

All the advantage lies with the kicking team. If you get a quick stop and force a 3 and out, you probably end up with good field position and the chance to win the game on a FG. 

If you’re defense is gassed and has been getting gashed all game, like we were in 13 seconds and the Eagles game this year (second half), then it allows you to maybe get lucky with a stop or a turnover. And if the opponent ends up scoring a TD, you know your team also needs a TD. On top of that you have four downs on each set of downs as well. If you score a TD, go for two and end the game without having to put the onus back on defense (control your own destiny so to speak). 

Does anyone have counterpoints to this?

Reason why I bring this up is because I think we’ve all seen how it seems as though the kicking team has the advantage in OT this year. On top of that, we suck in OT under McD. Hope McD picks up some pointers and can apply them if we are fortunate enough to make the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, boyst said:

if the offense scores a TD on the opening drive does that take away the chance for the kicking team in OT from possesing the ball?

Both teams get the ball and get a chance to match and then next points after that wins. I'd like to see an entire additional quarter or half of a quarter played. Who wouldn't want more football?

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

If you’re defense is gassed and has been getting gashed all game, like we were in 13 seconds and the Eagles game this year (second half), then it allows you to maybe get lucky with a stop or a turnover.

If your D is gassed, better to get the ball first and let them rest then.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Both teams get the ball and get a chance to match and then next points after that wins. I'd like to see an entire additional quarter or half of a quarter played. Who wouldn't want more football?

Hockey rules   10 min ot. 2 timeouts. No reviews. If an injured player stops the clock the team can either use a to or he cannot return to the game. If 3 players do this the third player is removed and a to taken. 

Its not perfect but its way better than 13 secs or the AFCCG when the Pats beat the Chiefs. 13 seconds should have not gotten to overtime but once it did who won the toss won the game. I thought at the time that once we lost the toss we should have onside kicked it. There was no way we were going stop anything with or tired defense and McD and Frazier's soft zone.

2 hours ago, boyst said:

Hockey rules   10 min ot. 2 timeouts. No reviews. If an injured player stops the clock the team can either use a to or he cannot return to the game. If 3 players do this the third player is removed and a to taken. 

Hockey rules?  I agree.  Seven-man football in overtime!!

3 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

don’t want to put the cart before the horse, but I have a feeling some individuals at One Bills Drive reads this board and pulls some info from here. Maybe not coaches, but people close with decision makers. 

Christ, I hope not.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Quarter?  Gee imagine an  extra quarter football in the playoffs, after an entire grueling season,  wouldn't be any disadvantage in the next playoff game if they win (and not the SuperBowl).

NEVER HAPPEN.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, chongli said:

If your D is gassed, better to get the ball first and let them rest then.

If my D is gassed going into OT then one of my scrubs on the KO team is going to trip and get injured on his jog out for the kickoff and lay on the field for 10 minutes “injured”

Edited by peterpan
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.