If this continues then how can OC interviews be anything but a complete sham?

Albany,n.y.

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

Nothing to prevent, but a necessary charade, that defeats the purpose.  No?

Who cares, it'll happen the way that they want it.  Why are we bickering over this?

Option A: hire a guy from within and give no one else an opportunity to interview.

Option B: hire a guy from within while giving others an opportunity to interview

Whether you think it's a charade or not, option B is obviously the better process.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

You underestimate the positive impact it is just to get to practice interviewing. It can be very helpful especially for say a young QB coach. Plus how do we know Brady doesn't bolt for a HC job in college. 

It never hurts to get a chance to present yourself. Plus these GMs all know each other. If a guy interviews really well they might let their colleagues know. Also what if someone under Beane or McDermott gets a GM or HC job somewhere else they may remember a guy that interviewed well. 

You may think it is a sham but it's any opportunity to impress someone.  

^^^this is all that needs to be said on the matter. It's a very good protocol even in a scenario like this

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Right now Joe Brady is earning the permanent OC job, but according to NFL rules the Bills have to interview for the OC job and they must interview minorities. 

If Brady's offense continues to win, then every interview is a sham since Brady will be a lock for the job.  

Unless the goal of the interviewee is to get the QB coach job, why would anyone interview for a job someone else is a lock to get?  This part of the enhanced Rooney Rule is a total joke. They might as well ask Les Frazier to interview for the OC job as a favor to the team.  

Remember everyone wanted Ken Dorsey and said the same thing? The Bills interviewed Tee Martin. Tee was supposed to be an up and coming OC candidate.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

Brady will get it.

I think the Bills are one slot WR away from being one of the all time great Offenses. You go 2 TEs, 2 WRs, 1 RB and how can teams defend it? Your QB can PA. Your RB can run well and catch. TEs that can block or catch and you have Diggs out wide. Get one more WR and this Offense would be crazy

6 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Option A: hire a guy from within and give no one else an opportunity to interview.

Option B: hire a guy from within while giving others an opportunity to interview

Whether you think it's a charade or not, option B is obviously the better process.

That misses the point entirely.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Steptide said:

I'm super curious what Brady could do with a full off season, but let's see what happens the rest of this season first 

Am I remembering that Brady was the passing game guru when Burrow and LSU won the national championship.  Think Chase and Jefferson were the wide outs.

12 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

Brady will get it.

I think the Bills are one slot WR away from being one of the all time great Offenses. You go 2 TEs, 2 WRs, 1 RB and how can teams defend it? Your QB can PA. Your RB can run well and catch. TEs that can block or catch and you have Diggs out wide. Get one more WR and this Offense would be crazy

When the Bills go 2 TE's 2 WR's 1 RB, doesn't Kincaid effectively replace the slot?  We do need a legit #2 who can take the top off of a defense and catch the deep ball.  How the Bills pay for one is a different matter

14 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

It doesn't though.  The point is, it is not a sham. It is an opportunity.  

So knowing that they're going to hire Brady, posing four more interviews before they actually do, is an opportunity for the four that weren't going to get hired?

Funny, I went to an interview like that once, they had to interview me for the position based upon my veteran status.  When I got there the person doing the hiring didn't even come into the room and it was the worst interview, from a recruiting end, I've ever known much less been to.

It was clear that they wanted a woman, which hey, is fine, just don't waste my time, which is precious.  For hours out of my day for nothing, plus prep time.  

No, there was absolutely nothing about it that suggested that it was even remotely an opportunity.  

So I beg to differ on this.  

Which, by the way, is in line with the OP.  

Edited by PBF81

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

So knowing that they're going to hire Brady, posing four more interviews before they actually do, is an opportunity for the four that weren't going to get hired?

Funny, I went to an interview like that once, they had to interview me for the position based upon my veteran status.  When I got there the person doing the hiring didn't even come into the room and it was the worst interview, from a recruiting end, I've ever known much less been to.

It was clear that they wanted a woman, which hey, is fine, just don't waste my time, which is precious.  For hours out of my day for nothing, plus prep time.  

No, there was absolutely nothing about it that suggested that it was even remotely an opportunity.  

And your personal experience obviously represents everyone's....

People cried when there wasn't any chance to interview and now they'll cry when they get a chance but don't get the job. 

You can't make everyone happy all the time.

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Seems like a candidate problem.

I can tell you over the course of my career there have been a few times where I applied for "shoot for the moon" positions. Discussed it with my managers, and they got my foot in the door to land panel interviews even though we all knew it would be extremely unlikely for me to get the job (literally no chance).

Those panel interviews were all with higher-ups who are good to know and get face time with. They gave me opportunities to impress them and grow my network. Even though I didnt land those specific positions, the interviews have benefited me greatly a few times over. Whether it was calling in favors with those panelists when I needed help getting their teams moving on my projects, or having them introduce me to other execs at company functions (one of those intros even lead to the position I'm in currently).

The benefits and opportunities are there for folks who want to make them so. Most of these young, hungry coaches function like that too. They arent coming in there bitter just to cut off their nose to spite their face.

I'm sure the Bills will bring in people they want to interview, not just because they have to. That helps too.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

You underestimate the positive impact it is just to get to practice interviewing. It can be very helpful especially for say a young QB coach. Plus how do we know Brady doesn't bolt for a HC job in college. 

It never hurts to get a chance to present yourself. Plus these GMs all know each other. If a guy interviews really well they might let their colleagues know. Also what if someone under Beane or McDermott gets a GM or HC job somewhere else they may remember a guy that interviewed well. 

You may think it is a sham but it's any opportunity to impress someone.  

I agree with all of this, I’d just want the process to be honest and transparent if I’m being interviewed.

It does nobody any good service to pretend the interview is anything other than a great opportunity for all the reasons you listed.

10 hours ago, JohnNord said:

These are the rules for hiring the league created…in cases like Brady it really doesn’t make sense but I don’t think interviewing other candidates is a bad thing for Buffalo.  

It will when the other OC candidates sue for not being given a "fair chance" to be considered for the job. As sure as day follows night, that's gonna start happening at some point.

9 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I will say the ONLY k ock about last night's game, is the lack of scoring in the 2nd half.  This seems to still be a trend that has to be corrected. 

Loved the 8+ minute drive and I have no issues with 3 points.  But again we seemed to stall some.  Just something to keep working on is all

They had two possessions, scored 10 points, and then pulled the starters for their next possession and ran clock lol.  That wasn't stalling.  

8 hours ago, Simon said:

It's not messed up at all; any team can promote and hire whoever they damned well please. There is nothing stopping them from doing so.

What you can't do is immediately promise/give somebody a job without just talking to other people first.

The purpose of the rule is to help out guys who have not traditionally been a part of the old boys network by just providing them with an occasion to meet and talk with executives who they never would have had a chance to interact with otherwise. That's all. Just an opportunity to talk.

The rule has given a lot of people a chance who never would have had one without it and has been a good thing for the league.

As far as I'm concerned, anybody who is dead set against just giving a black man a chance to have a conversation and hates it so much they feel the need to kvetch and complain about it? Those folks have much bigger issues that only some serious self-reflection can address.

The only reason I don't like the rule is because I feel like a lot of interviews are just sham interviews.  I can't remember who it was, but I remember many seasons ago there was one coach who interviewed all over the place and it just felt like sham interviews because those teams ultimately hired the guy they were going after to begin with.  It just felt like that guy was being pimped around for show just to abide by the rule and everyone knew he wasn't getting hired.

I'll also say that previous to this thread I hated the rule because of the reason above but a couple people posted about how it gives people opportunity to talk that wouldn't have had that opportunity and it gives them networking.  I never thought about it like that so it did change my mind.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

The only reason I don't like the rule is because I feel like a lot of interviews are just sham interviews.  I can't remember who it was, but I remember many seasons ago there was one coach who interviewed all over the place and it just felt like sham interviews because those teams ultimately hired the guy they were going after to begin with.  It just felt like that guy was being pimped around for show just to abide by the rule and everyone knew he wasn't getting hired.

It's a fair criticism.

I'd counter it by saying that nobody is being forced to apply for and interview for those positions. If somebody personally feel likes it's just a sham, they are free to take no part in it. Others might want to take advantage of that opportunity to meet and get to know more people regardless of whether they have any expectation of being hired or not.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Simon said:

It's a fair criticism.

I'd counter it by saying that nobody is being forced to apply for and interview for those positions. If somebody personally feel likes it's just a sham, they are free to take no part in it. Others might want to take advantage of that opportunity to meet and get to know more people regardless of whether they have any expectation of being hired or not.

True, it is their own choice.  IIRC the coach eventually did say screw you I ain't being that guy again.  Paraphrasing of course.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.