Eagles replace DC Sean Desai with Matt Patricia...

Big Turk

9 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

This gave me a double-take.  I hadn't even realized that Philly brought Patricia onboard as an assistant.

I do think Patricia is a strong defensive coordinator but sucked as a HC.  Patricia's track record outside NE is as a HC, then he came back to work for NE on the offensive side of the ball and that was a disaster. 

But when he stays in his defensive lane, I think he's pretty sound.  He had top-10 defenses in NE from 2012 to 2017.  Of course with NE, you never know how much was the assistant and how much was Belicheck, and, during that era, how much was Brady and the refs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, Beck Water said:

This gave me a double-take.  I hadn't even realized that Philly brought Patricia onboard as an assistant.

I do think Patricia is a strong defensive coordinator but sucked as a HC.  Patricia's track record outside NE is as a HC, then he came back to work for NE on the offensive side of the ball and that was a disaster. 

But when he stays in his defensive lane, I think he's pretty sound.  He had top-10 defenses in NE from 2012 to 2017.  Of course with NE, you never know how much was the assistant and how much was Belicheck, and, during that era, how much was Brady and the refs.

I can’t even say Matt Patricia at OC was a disaster when bill O’Brien is doing even worse 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Everyone wants to get in their little jab by calling Patricia a OC.  That was an incredibly strange move by Belichick and that hubris is largely why it appears New England is going to fire him in 3 more games.

Regardless as stated Patricia had a relatively strong background in NE as DC, although when he branched out on his own in Detroit the results weren’t pretty.  

What surprises me more is that Philly made the switch to begin with, only because Sean Desai was thought of to be a rising star and a potential HC candidate.  His defense has certainly struggled but they never had good inside LB’s and were suspect in the secondary.  

But you have to think that this is the end of Desai in Philly.  Unless Patricia sucks (which is possible) you can’t go back to Desai.  And if you were Desai, would you want to go back after getting the rug pulled from under you?  All signs point to him leaving Philly. 

It should also  be noted that Philadelphia has only scored 13 and 19 points when facing Dallas and SF the past two weeks.  While the defense hasn’t been good, the offense has also been far below its standard against contenders.  

Maybe Nick Sirianni should have fired himself?!?!?!?

1 minute ago, T master said:

I hope this doesn't do for their D what brady has done for the Bills offense ...

Wouldn’t surprised me to see a little boost.  The DL is freaking stacked so they should get more out of that unit.  

Aside from that the LB’s are bad and just about everyone in the secondary other that Byard are suspect.  Maybe Shaq Leonard makes a difference?  

29 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

This is very surprising with how late in the season the change is being made. Eagles are still on the path to the playoffs and messing with the key staff positions is highly risky. 

This was a poor move.  There's a lot of film on Patricia's defensive strategies, and he's not a guy who adjusts the strategy ever.  Seattle will have a good idea of what's coming.

Eagles have slow linebackers and an old secondary outside Blankenship.  Teams can dink and dunk and run to the outside all game long.    

11 minutes ago, Bills Fan in MD said:

Patricia calling NE's offense last year has to go down as one of the weirdest coaching decisions ever.

Classic Belichick thinking he’s the smartest man in football.   A blend of hubris and insecurity.   Rather than realizing his preference of “smash mouth” football was outdated, he brought back old cronies to support him rather than hiring someone from outside the org with new ideas.  

Patricia and Joe as OC’s, was one of the final nails 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Classic Belichick thinking he’s the smartest man in football.   A blend of hubris and insecurity.   Rather than realizing his preference of “smash mouth” football was outdated, he brought back old cronies to support him rather than hiring someone from outside the org with new ideas.  

Patricia and Joe as OC’s, was one of the final nails 

And yet they did far better than O'Brien has on offense this year. Except in their first game against us.

Edited by Big Turk

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Roflmao his D stunk up here in NE!!! OMG the fools with all that talent and you give it to rocket scientist Patricia!  OMG… I may pee myself laughing.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

And yet they did far better than O'Brien has on offense this year. Except in their first game against us.

O line has been a mess only 1 true starting OT and he been hurt a lot this year and well the O line just started playing better and the O looks a bit better, especially the last 2 weeks against good D’s.. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

Everyone wants to get in their little jab by calling Patricia a OC.  That was an incredibly strange move by Belichick and that hubris is largely why it appears New England is going to fire him in 3 more games.

Regardless as stated Patricia had a relatively strong background in NE as DC, although when he branched out on his own in Detroit the results weren’t pretty.  

What surprises me more is that Philly made the switch to begin with, only because Sean Desai was thought of to be a rising star and a potential HC candidate.  His defense has certainly struggled but they never had good inside LB’s and were suspect in the secondary.  

But you have to think that this is the end of Desai in Philly.  Unless Patricia sucks (which is possible) you can’t go back to Desai.  And if you were Desai, would you want to go back after getting the rug pulled from under you?  All signs point to him leaving Philly. 

It should also  be noted that Philadelphia has only scored 13 and 19 points when facing Dallas and SF the past two weeks.  While the defense hasn’t been good, the offense has also been far below its standard against contenders.  

Maybe Nick Sirianni should have fired himself?!?!?!?

Wouldn’t surprised me to see a little boost.  The DL is freaking stacked so they should get more out of that unit.  

Aside from that the LB’s are bad and just about everyone in the secondary other that Byard are suspect.  Maybe Shaq Leonard makes a difference?  

If Shaq Leonard was making a difference he would still be in Indy.  He is a shell of his former self.

2 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Roflmao his D stunk up here in NE!!! OMG the fools with all that talent and you give it to rocket scientist Patricia!  OMG… I may pee myself laughing.

Agreed.  I don't understand how Patricia got the job in Detroit in the first place. The Patriots defense was 2nd worse in yards per play and 4th worse in total yards given up in Patricia's last year as D.C. in New England.  Their defense also gave up 41 points to the Eagles in the Super Bowl that year.  Partly the stats are due to teams playing from behind but being 31st in an important defensive metric is not good no matter how you parse it.

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Right… and this goes back to Bill’s outdated philosophy and being totally clueless as GM.  It was clear that Mac Jones wasn’t the type of QB that could elevate the offense and needed better playmakers at WR.  

So Bill lets their best WR Jakobi Meyers walk and overpays his replacement JuJu, re-signs an underwhelming Devante Parker, and low balls DeAndre Hopkins.  

He also signs Ezekiel Elliot to be his third down back.

It’s bot a surprise they were worse this season

54 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

If we had Douglas/joseph for that game I think it’s a two score win.  O’Brien lucked out facing one of the worst defensive lineups in the league this year that week.  I think Ed was out as well on top of no Daquan no Milano no tre white and von playing terrible in his big knee brace 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.