Bills @ Chiefs Postgame Thread

Simon

7 minutes ago, Simon said:

It was an impressively fast release and accurate delivery of probably 15-20yrds from a big man on the move in traffic.

But I was less amazed by the athleticism than I was by the vision and instincts.

yea I don't know about being reductive with that play. It was a pantheon level play from a pantheon level football player

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, f0neguy said:

So Toney stays back and off to the side watching Kelsey run through traffic?   If if weren’t scripted, he would have attempted to throw a block to spring Kelsey. 

My read is that Toney had completed has assigned task on the play, was well aware he couldn't get close enough to anybody to affect it any further so stayed where he was to a) watch the play b) stay available and c) not stray far from where he was likely going to have to quickly line up shortly.

7 minutes ago, f0neguy said:

Afterwards, Chief’s players said Kelsey makes that throw in practice.

I have no doubt he tries it a bunch in practice; it was clearly not the first time he's considered it.

And I have no doubt the Chiefs skill players are regularly coached to keep themselves available like that, particularly in late game situations.

But nobody has a pre-designed play where a pass-catcher weaves 15 yards downfield, cuts across the grain then rips a 20yrd lateral across the field.

It was not designed.

• Like (+1) 1

Cam Lewis had the presence of mind to slow down and jump up trying to block/deflect the lateral, but amazingly the ball eluded him.  Had he deflected it, the football would have been a fumble and the Bills could have pounced on it.  That play was great but not without some risk there.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, f0neguy said:

So Toney stays back and off to the side watching Kelsey run through traffic?   If if weren’t scripted, he would have attempted to throw a block to spring Kelsey.  Afterwards, Chief’s players said Kelsey makes that throw in practice.  I believe it was planned 💯.

First off, "Kelce".

Second, it was absolutely improvised. Kelce talks about it all the time on his podcast, about wanting to throw laterals and how it pisses off Reid in practice. Mahomes also confirmed post game that it was an improvised lateral.

It isnt even Kelce's first lateral this season, but normally he does more of a hand off to a guy right near him. Nothing this drastic.

To the bold, yes, Toney is exactly the type of player to not run down field to help block and instead stand there and watch. He's horrible.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, f0neguy said:

I believe it was planned 💯.

Also found a quote from Mahomes postgame that confirms:

“It’s a legendary moment, man. It’s not taught. Something that only a couple people in this world would even think about doing,” Mahomes added. “For him to make that play in that moment—making the play, making the catch, making a couple dudes miss and then throwing the ball across the field to another guy and scoring a touchdown in that moment—I hope they still show it whenever he goes into the Hall of Fame. Because that’s a legendary moment....

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It isnt even Kelce's first lateral this season, but normally he does more of a hand off to a guy right near him. Nothing this drastic.

I didn't realize he'd done it in a game before.

But I was going to say that I'd bet a good chunk of money that he's absolutely going to try it again before the year is out.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see him start incorporating an occasional pump fake into his YAC if the angles are right.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Simon said:

I didn't realize he'd done it in a game before.

But I was going to say that I'd bet a good chunk of money that he's absolutely going to try it again before the year is out.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see him start incorporating an occasional pump fake into his YAC if the angles are right.

Kelce confirmed after the game that this was improvised in the moment because he saw McCoy right there.

This next one is from this season...

He also did it in the AFC Champ game for a fumble

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Kelce confirmed after the game that this was improvised in the moment because he saw McCoy right there.

This next one is from this season...

He also did it in the AFC Champ game for a fumble

Thanks, man. I do now remember that one vs the Bengals.

Hadn't realized it was something he was regularly looking for but am surprisingly unsurprised.

It's like they have a QB throwing downfield to another QB. :wallbash:

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

Cam Lewis had the presence of mind to slow down and jump up trying to block/deflect the lateral, but amazingly the ball eluded him.  Had he deflected it, the football would have been a fumble and the Bills could have pounced on it.  That play was great but not without some risk there.

great point. 

(Between that and the Justin Jefferson catch, cam Lewis has to be the Billsiest player we got).

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

He does that.

A lot.

A lot more than anyone here likes to admit. Davis was NCAA open there, and he just couldn't or wouldn't see him.

Oh come off it. There are plays like this in every game for every QB. This isn't Madden. Allen has defined rules on every play. On this one he never had time to get past his first read because pressure immediately got in his face so he correctly launched it to Kincaid in single coverage. Unfortunately it was a tad too far upfield for Kincaid to make a play on the ball.

What sucks about this play is Brady had been setting it up all game. We faked a screen to Diggs and the play worked exactly as intended drawing the KC defenders forward, but because our OL couldn't block for a half second Allen had to make a quick throw off his back foot to his first read.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 6

It was one of the first couple of drive that stalled out at the KC 40, why did McD not try a FG there? Also why not try a long FG with .03 seconds before the half instead of a hail mary? Does he not trust Bass just like he doesn't trust Josh with .20 seconds, paranoid coaching will not get desired results.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.