Per Benjamin Allbright, McDermott's "seat is warm"

HappyDays

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

1. You argue variance which typically does exist with one-score games.  Teams that win a lot of one-score games one season are sometimes bad the next.  

They were 6-2 in one score games last year.

2. The injuries to 3 major contributors on the defense.  Yes injuries occur but few teams suffer 3 season-long injuries to starters on every level of the defense.  

3. Offensive struggles under Dorsey.  When the Bills need to the offense to pick up the slack they were struggling to score more than 20 points until he made the switch as OC.

4. Track record.

Not saying this is what I want but there are arguments to be made and either way the decision won’t be easy

McD is 28-28 in one score games

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

McDermott's cowardly tendencies when managing games is reflective of Beane? Do they share a brain or something?

I don’t really get how he’s cowardly.  I mean I’m not saying he’s good by any means but he’s been bringing arguably too much heat on those game winning drives for the other team 😂

is he cowardly for not going for that 4th and medium in ot?  I don’t think any coach is going for that in that spot.  The eagles would only be in 4 down territory until field goal range and if you hold them to a fg the next score wins 

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

Like I said, variance is high.  Kyle Shannahan is 25-28.  Dan Campbell is 9-13.  Typically the one-score games even out 

This is why we were never as good as our record showed last year. The eyeball test told everyone we were mediocre from Green Bay 2nd half onwards. And this year we are better than our record. the problem isn't necessarily losing the close games. It's losing those games to the jets, patriots, denver, etc. that should never be that close. 

That game against the Eagles should have come off as a mildly disappointing, turn the page, get em the next time type of thing. But it has kind of taken on a life of it's own because we are almost in a playoff situation  at this point. The game was way more important than it ever should have been, so now emotions are boiling over. 

Edited by Man with No Name
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Terry has a horrendous track record of hiring leaders.  

Take a look at the long list of Sabres coaches that he hired and fired.  Granato is the most successful one and he doesn’t have a .500 record.   

Then look how Terry has fired almost all of his upper management since buying the Bills and Sabres.  

He is not good as a sports owner.  The only thing he’s done well is let Beane and McDermott run the show 

All true, but even "better owners" haven't had much better success either. Certainly having Allen on the roster makes  things easier for a new coach coming in.

Question to is what is better to hire an up and coming coordinator who has never been a HC, or a college HC as he at least has head coaching experience.  Maybe the ideal would be a coordinator who at one time was a HC or a college HC who use to be an NFL coordinator.  But even then have to ask why isn't he still a HC?

5 hours ago, Yobogoya! said:

Yeah but no you haven't, actually. You just keep giving me your opinion, and that's fine. But you haven't refuted my argument at all, because you can't. 

True or false: if Tyler Boyd drops a last ditch effort pass on 4th and 12 at the end of the Bengals/Ravens game, the Bills do not make the postseason in 2017? 

That's not "logic" or an "opinion," by the way. That's just a fact of reality. 

It's actually amazing how that all played out. In the event the Ravens and Bengals played in Week 3 that year and Tyler Boyd caught a game winning TD on 4th and 12, nobody would ever point to that and say the BIlls lucked in. It's all because of the timing of it. 

18 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

It's actually amazing how that all played out. In the event the Ravens and Bengals played in Week 3 that year and Tyler Boyd caught a game winning TD on 4th and 12, nobody would ever point to that and say the BIlls lucked in. It's all because of the timing of it. 

If you want to go back in history and take away accomplishments because of events that happened in the past, you’d have hundreds of events like this.  That’s why his original premise was straight up foolish

11 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

If you want to go back in history and take away accomplishments because of events that happened in the past, you’d have hundreds of events like this.  That’s why his original premise was straight up foolish

So a retelling of what actually happened is straight up foolish but rearranging past events to suit your narrative is logical

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

So a retelling of what actually happened is straight up foolish but rearranging past events to suit your narrative is logical

Again, if want to play the “if-then” game we would be here all day.  It’s just futile.  We could do the same thing to nearly every Super Bowl winner.  

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

the premise that the Bills were incredibly lucky to make the playoffs in 2017 is totally reasonable

Right but how is that different than any other team’s season.  You need the breaks to fall your way.  You can argue that KC was lucky to win the SB because of the holding penalty. 

Just now, JohnNord said:

Right but how is that different than any other team’s season.  You need the breaks to fall your way.  You can argue that KC was lucky to win the SB because of the holding penalty. 

the Bills needing the breaks to fall their way to lose 10-3 in the wildcard vs KC needing the breaks to fall their way to win the SB does not help your argument imo

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

the Bills needing the breaks to fall their way to lose 10-3 in the wildcard vs KC needing the breaks to fall their way to win the SB does not help your argument imo

Counterpoint: every team that has ever made the postseason without a franchise QB has needed to be lucky. 

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Counterpoint: every team that has ever made the postseason without a franchise QB has needed to be lucky. 

100% no doubt about it

But it is a function of some measure of luck. Heck this season 2-3 AFC teams might get in that fit that criteria...and I dunno if we'd use it as reasoning why their HCs shouldn't be let go if they found themselves in McDermott's position 5odd yrs down the road w a top QB

15 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

100% no doubt about it

But it is a function of some measure of luck. Heck this season 2-3 AFC teams might get in that fit that criteria...and I dunno if we'd use it as reasoning why their HCs shouldn't be let go if they found themselves in McDermott's position 5odd yrs down the road w a top QB

Why not? Tomlin has made a career on being the “never worse than .500” coach. Talk about low expectations lol

If we put the McD criteria on some of these guys, they stop smelling so sweet. 

20 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Why not? Tomlin has made a career on being the “never worse than .500” coach. Talk about low expectations lol

If we put the McD criteria on some of these guys, they stop smelling so sweet. 

Tomlin has a super bowl is the criteria, if Richardson blossoms into Allen 2.0 but the Colts are sliding backwards by year6 I doubt folks would be pointing to 2023 playoffs as reason to keep Steichen

8 hours ago, JohnNord said:

3. Offensive struggles under Dorsey.  When the Bills need to the offense to pick up the slack they were struggling to score more than 20 points until he made the switch as OC.

McD promoted Dorsey even though he had no experience as an OC.  This was a bad hire and another mistake by McD.  Not a firable offense by itself but just one more reason to make a change at HC. 

My biggest issue with McD is he loses too many games that they should win.  Over his entire tenure as coach.  Too many turnovers, penalties, mistakes, missed assignments, dropped passes, wrong use of timeouts, bad challenges, and too many men on a missed GWFGA. 

A few isolated losses here and there where a player blows it, ok that happens to every team, but there is just too much overall inconsistency with this team.  This team has talent and should be playing at a higher level of play.  They are underperforming and that is the HC's fault.  He's gotta go.

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Tomlin has a super bowl is the criteria, if Richardson blossoms into Allen 2.0 but the Colts are sliding backwards by year6 I doubt folks would be pointing to 2023 playoffs as reason to keep Steichen

BB has 6 of them and he's on the hotseat.  And he has 2 Superbowl wins since Tomlin's last playoff win lol.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.