What’s your opinion of Gabe Davis on this play?

Buffalo_Stampede

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Are you ok with the result or do you think this should’ve been a much bigger play?

To me this is exactly why I believe he’s not good enough. Davis runs a simple route vs zone. Allen makes an unbelievable throw setting up what I believe should’ve been a long TD.

There are a lot of examples of Davis being subpar. This to me isn't one of them. 

He actually found a good spot to sit in the zone, caught the ball and turned upfield for some YAC. This was a good play. 

The places where he HASN'T been good enough are when he's cutting off routes and Allen is seeing something different.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 10

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

There are a lot of examples of Davis being subpar. This to me isn't one of them. 

He actually found a good spot to sit in the zone, caught the ball and turned upfield for some YAC. This was a good play. 

The places where he HASN'T been good enough are when he's cutting off routes and Allen is seeing something different.

This to me is 100% why he’s not good. I think he simply ran his route. I don’t think this is an option or anything.

He’s not a quick twitch WR, but if Davis was faster and more explosive, he would’ve got away from #32, but #29 will catch just about every guy in the league since he had a head start. Maybe a freak like Tyreek Hill could run away from everyone there. Maybe. I think even he gets caught though.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

This to me is 100% why he’s not good. I think he simply ran his route. I don’t think this is an option or anything.

Against zone that is a read play. The odds that his route just happened to rest in the soft part of the zone are pretty obscure IMO. I'm not a huge Davis defender by any means...but this was a good play.

Your claim that he's not good because he ran his route is....weird. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BillsFan2313 said:

He did everything fine there, he just doesn't have the speed to do more

That’s the problem. 

Allen needs better from his WR here.

1 minute ago, somnus00 said:

To the people who don't think Josh is elite... this throw is ridiculous.

It’s an unbelievably difficult throw.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Against zone that is a read play. The odds that his route just happened to rest in the soft part of the zone are pretty obscure IMO. I'm not a huge Davis defender by any means...but this was a good play.

Your claim that he's not good because he ran his route is....weird. 

I didn’t say he’s not good because he ran his route. I called the route simple. If you think it’s an option then I’ll say it was simple recognition.

The point is how mediocre Davis is after the catch. After his QB set him up with an amazing throw.

11 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Exactly this. /thread

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, somnus00 said:

To the people who don't think Josh is elite... this throw is ridiculous.

The throw is elite. But we can pick nits here too. He bailed on a clean(ish) pocket early. He also had a really easy completion to Cook in the middle of the field to get a FD. It was an incredible throw, but the degree of difficulty on that is off the charts. But that's what you get with Josh.

Edited by Low Positive
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

That’s the problem. 

Allen needs better from his WR here.

It’s an unbelievably difficult throw.

I didn’t say he’s not good because he ran his route. I called the route simple. If you think it’s an option then I’ll say it was simple recognition.

The point is how mediocre Davis is after the catch. After his QB set him up with an amazing throw.

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It's literally what you said. Literally.

I will agree it was an amazing throw. It was also in front of him and he had to bring it in. As good of a throw as it was it was a nice snag. That slowed him up. And yes, he doesn't have the quick twitch that some have...but he still turned it up field and gained YAC. 

Point being this is an odd play to single out and try to make the point that Davis sucks. There are far better options to prove that point 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.