Is McD really a dictator?

RoscoeParrish

10 hours ago, cgg716 said:

This. And the thing I don't think gets talked about enough, is his defense, it's never actually been good. As a defensive hc, he's somehow gotten away with it never being good. Maybe if it was, his style of offense wouldn't be so obsolete 

Watching McD’s wretched defense has been the most painful part for me over the years.  It was never going to get it done.

• Like (+1) 1

any dictator that allows the same mistakes to occur again and again and again is not no dictator...

in relation to the term dictator and mistakes, mistakes would b the wrong terminology, but we can all agree the term dictator and full control goes hand in hand...

if one has control, one would think those same mistakes would end, cease to exist, yet they are common occurrence, hcnce no dictator, it seems he lacks control, the opposite imo 

20 hours ago, RoscoeParrish said:

The whole "McDermott is forcing the run" narrative and “is handcuffing the offense” is completely pulled out of thin air.  We have no idea what happened with him and past OC’s.  It's like people know McD is a defensive guy so we all automatically assume he has a 1970s view of the offense as a controlling hard nose dictator.

Nothing has ever supported that. 

If I am missing actual facts that support this bogus narrative, please share them. 

You cant blame McDermott for wanting to run the ball aswell when Allen is throwing constant picks.

8 hours ago, PBF81 said:

I know that you're a McD apologist, or at least lean heavily in his favor if you disagree with that, so take these comments in that context.  

The Ryan era was an unmitigated disaster, but there was some warning when Ryan said that his next coaching job would be his last.  That's not a trait of someone that cares whether or not he does a good job.  Not saying he didn't care, just saying that it wasn't a good sign.  

Having said, that, Ryan didn't have great talent either.  We can do a position-by-position analysis if you want.  Might be fun in these dry times.  

Here's the thing about "culture," it's somewhat of a nebulous thing.  The term gets thrown around, but how is it specifically defined.  But that appears to be his greatest achievement here as it's always the very first thing out the the mouths of McD apologists. 

Allow me to ask however, what's the "culture" right now, today, at this moment?  

I don't think that it can be defined as a "winning culture" as his apologists like to assign it.  

As to "winning games, breaking the drought and having a couple of good playoff runs," he was barely above .500 in his first three seasons.  25-23 

That Peterman thing hangs over him and have been rehashed now in the questioning of his leadership abilities.  As minor as it may be, it's become a black stain.  

We made the playoffs twice, but in 2017, two other teams had an identical 9-7 record that did not make it, and were both better teams.  We beat only two winning teams that season, both 10-6.  Otherwise we beat 7 bottom-dwelling teams.  We were embarrassed in the playoffs by a former Bills coach featuring a below-average QB.  We also needed help (aka luck) from something that we had absolutely no control over.  

In 2019 we made the playoffs, but lost a Wild-Card game, again, with McD once again being outcoached.  

So any "playoff run" boils down to 2020 - 2022 where we've only been able to win a Divisional game once, in that ill-fated '21 season where McD did anything but play up to "winning culture" in that 13-Seconds game. 

Keep in mind that we got lots of help in doing what you suggest, by Brady leaving New England, essentially leaving us to supplant New England as the only decent team in the division.  To wit, McD was 0-6 vs. NE with Brady until Allen's breakout season, and when Brady was no longer with the Pats.  So the skids were already greased for him there.  Our lackluster playoff outcomes are more indicative.  

So I'm not sure how you define playoff runs, but we've won only one divisional playoff game in his 6 seasons with his 7th likely not even making the playoffs.  

Again, where's that leave that "winning culture" thing?  

I'd suggest that the culture isn't positive right now.  Do you think it is?   

If Pegula even pulls the trigger, and I have my doubts that he will, where would that leave us from a "culture perspective?"   I'm not suggesting anything, seriously asking, but the word tentative comes to mind.  We likely won't know until things happen.  Pegula risks looking like the biggest incompetent in the mix if he does ditch McD given that he just signed him to four more seasons that haven't even begun yet, rather than waiting, which would have been very wise, to see whether what has happened might happen.  

If you recall however, following the 2019 season there were plenty of questionmarks and criticism of McD and his "Process," which to date still hasn't even remotely been defined.   It's nothing more than a meaningless buzzword.  

It wasn't until 2020, when Allen broke out, not McD, Allen, that our "winning culture" became prominent, and again, that also coincided with the Brady-less Pats.  The three other QBs in our division that season were the rookie Tagovailoa, Darnold, and Newton.  ... for about half of our wins.  

Now, look where we are.  Can it be overemphasized where our culture is at the moment?  There's a major pall over Bills fandom and the coverage of the team, and clearly somethings' going on in the lockerroom as well, not positively.  

The point, the point is that if he, not Allen, actually created it, he's also equally responsible for destroying it now, which raises that chicken/egg aka McD/Allen question.  

Anyway, food for thought.  

Agree with your statement.  As a long time Bills fans, i absolutely know i'm not in a winning culture.  

We're a good team and after those 17 years, it seems to be enough.

Our window are -was- open and we all know we're not that far. 

But, for us, it seems to be an accomplishment. Even this year, we're not playing good football but we're still in the hunt.

For a team in a winning culture,it's not enough and it's a failure to not win the last game when that window is open.

One thing is sure: A winining culture just cant  even tolerate a mistake like the 13 seconds when the window is open. 

I'm not better than any fan: i'm the first one who wanted to give a chance after that mistake. 

At least, we're a good team now i guess.

They turned it around. Finally. Then, this program is clearly - play to not lose- year after year, week after week, except for some games. 

It's so conservative.

We'll have some good seasons by playing like that but we'll not win our last game if we tolerate so easily the same mistakes week after week, year after year.

I'm just a fan. It's just how i see it and I really hope i'm wrong.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Governor said:

Watching McD’s wretched defense has been the most painful part for me over the years.  It was never going to get it done.

It has generally speaking been wretched in the playoffs.  

Another indication of his having hot a ceiling is that a a supposed defensive expert, he's constructed a fast-paced attacking D.  But when it's getting abused or the situation doesn't call for it, we can't generally seem to do much else.  

He is the head coach. Has there ever been a head coach who doesn't have their fingerprints on both sides of the ball? That's their job. They make the decisions in critical situations. They direct their coordinators, who are their subordinates, on what they want to see.

I think he’s just incompetent, especially when it comes to in-game coaching. 12 players on the field to lose the game? Inexcusable. And it’s only the most recent head coaching failure he’s had. He is notorious for poor challenges, failing to challenge when he should, taking ill timed or unnecessary defensive timeouts especially late in games (that often help the opposing offense), etc. And this is just what we can plainly see as fans on the field. How much more does he screw up behind the scenes? 

In no other NFL organization would this be tolerable for so long. He has a proven track record of failure in pressure situations in games. The bigger the moment, the more he shrivels up and collapses. How much more of that do you really need to see to be convinced he’s not the guy to lead the team on game day? Yeah he did some good things to turn things around when he got here, but he was part of the reason for the turnaround, not the sole cause of it. It’s time for a new leader who doesn’t crap his pants in pressure gameday situations. It’s absurd what he’s gotten away with. He should have been fired on the spot for not having the right personnel on the field for that FG attempt after all those timeouts.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/16/2023 at 7:16 AM, BillsFan130 said:

We know for sure that McDermott had his fingerprints on the offence in some degree.

Dorsey and McDermott admitted so in an article about a month back.

How much? That we don’t know.

I think we can also read between the lines a little as well.

MCD all off season preached about how Josh needs to be smart and not take big hits.

”Coincidentally “ , this is by far Joshs lowest rushing totals/attempts of his career.

Just read a article in Buffalo news with Frazier he said Josh has changed from a running QB  to a pocket passer & teams no longer have to worry about him running which makes scheming against the Bills easier when you don't have to worry about Josh taking off .

Seems not only him but the rest of the D coordinators have noticed as much when coming up with their weekly Defense when they are to play the Bills .

• Like (+1) 1

What’s interesting is McDermott is always talking to someone in the head headset between offensive and plays. Go back and rewatch the Broncos game. Who could he be talking to and what is he talking about? 

Edited by wppete

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.