Fitzy for new QB coach anyone??

Bubba Gump

If I'm targeting a former player it's Peyton Manning for sure- it's not really a possibility but he is pure football genius and could maximize JA17 IMO. Not saying Fitz is an awful idea though.

Tangent-The thought that has crossed my mind is that Josh might of reached his maximum gain from Palmer and perhaps needs to expand his tree.

Edited by BlazinBill

Why would Fitz EVER consider coaching in the NFL? 

As the maxim goes: "Playing is a job. Coaching is a lifestyle." 

Rich former players who transition into media careers have no need for the insane grind of coaching. If they wanted to coach, they'd coach. But they can make a lot of money working only part-time, part of the year, having fun and increasing their marketability. 

6 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

He's obviously smart enough. I'm not sure if anyone knew this, but he went to Harvard. He loves the game and loves Buffalo. I'd give him a shot. Maybe he could get Josh's head back in the game instead of in his ass.

Lets see...what was Fitz #1 comparison when he played?  Farve minus the talent.  What is the number 1 comparison right now with Allen?  Farve minus the MVP's and SB trophy.  

The last thing we need is a turnover prone gunslinger type like Fitz to try and fix the turnover issues with Allen.  I love Fitz, and love the idea of Fitz on this staff, but this just doesn't feel like the solution to the areas Allen needs to most improve on given they were the same issues Fitz had, he just didn't have the talent and gifts Allen has to over come them as much as Allen has.  

And we need to not waste Allens prime anymore an inexperienced people.  Get Allen a PROVEN OC who fits his game and this team if Joe Brady doesn't prove he is the guy the rest of the season. 

• Like (+1) 1

Fitzy for OC you mean.  Fitz has the Gailey playbook memorized already. Great leadership abilities. Fearless when he played.

Bills players including Josh would respond very well under him.

I've been preaching this idea until I'm Buffalo blue in the face. The Perfect Fit/z.

Amen

I don't want to hear about all the $$$ Fitzy makes with his cushy job on Thursday night football.

Buffalo needs you!!!  

The bearded one needs a call from Pegula...

Edited by Figster

6 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

He's obviously smart enough. I'm not sure if anyone knew this, but he went to Harvard. He loves the game and loves Buffalo. I'd give him a shot. Maybe he could get Josh's head back in the game instead of in his ass.

I don't think this idea is as bizarro as it seems at first.  

Yeah, he probably doesn't want the job.  But you don't know until you ask.

As the OP says, Fitz is smart.  He's played for so many different teams in his career against so many different teams that he's familiar with a bunch of different offensive schemes and techniques and a bunch of different defensive philosophies.

And he has a good relationship with Josh.

Fitz made a good career despite not being gifted with tremendous natural talent.  Josh could learn from him.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I don't think this idea is as bizarro as it seems at first.  

Yeah, he probably doesn't want the job.  But you don't know until you ask.

As the OP says, Fitz is smart.  He's played for so many different teams in his career against so many different teams that he's familiar with a bunch of different offensive schemes and techniques and a bunch of different defensive philosophies.

And he has a good relationship with Josh.

Fitz made a good career despite not being gifted with tremendous natural talent.  Josh could learn from him.

It literally is a kick in the nuts to a professional athlete to call them not tremendously naturally gifted

You don't have to be Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson to be gifted

Ryan Fitzpatrick was a division 1 scholarship starting quarterback which only Less than 1% of players accomplish.... Then got drafted 

Then he threw for 30,000 yards in the league....  He has a lot more talent than people give him credit for

The unassuming look is part of his success because people don't think he can ball... He has more talent than 99% of quarterbacks alive

That's gifted

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BlazinBill said:

If I'm targeting a former player it's Peyton Manning for sure- it's not really a possibility but he is pure football genius and could maximize JA17 IMO. Not saying Fitz is an awful idea though.

Tangent-The thought that has crossed my mind is that Josh might of reached his maximum gain from Palmer and perhaps needs to expand his tree.

If Fitz, like some have implied, would be unlikely to leave a comfortable gig hosting TNF then why would Peyton leave the slew of things he has with ESPN and Omaha Productions???

It would be awesome if possible but that’s as much of a long shot as McClap getting canned tomorrow…

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It literally is a kick in the nuts to a professional athlete to call them not tremendously naturally gifted

You don't have to be Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson to be gifted

Ryan Fitzpatrick was a division 1 scholarship starting quarterback which only Less than 1% of players accomplish.... Then got drafted 

Then he threw for 30,000 yards in the league....  He has a lot more talent than people give him credit for

The unassuming look is part of his success because people don't think he can ball... He has more talent than 99% of quarterbacks alive

That's gifted

You're right of course.

But "gifted" is a relative term.  The first time I saw Fitz play with Cinci, I thought: this guy won't be in the league very long.  It wasn't one of my better calls.

When he played for the Bills and was miked up, I was amazed how he grunted just to throw the ball 50 yards.  Sometimes on his long balls to Stevie, I felt like he was just throwing it up for grabs and hoping Stevie would make the play which he often did.  

Fitz didn't have anywhere near the talent of some of his contemporaries: Brady, Brees, Rodgers, etc.  And he didn't have Josh's natural talent. 

But he lasted 17 years and had some good seasons.  So, yeah, he was better than 99% of the QBs in America.  

13 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

You're right of course.

But "gifted" is a relative term.  The first time I saw Fitz play with Cinci, I thought: this guy won't be in the league very long.  It wasn't one of my better calls.

When he played for the Bills and was miked up, I was amazed how he grunted just to throw the ball 50 yards.  Sometimes on his long balls to Stevie, I felt like he was just throwing it up for grabs and hoping Stevie would make the play which he often did.  

Fitz didn't have anywhere near the talent of some of his contemporaries: Brady, Brees, Rodgers, etc.  And he didn't have Josh's natural talent. 

But he lasted 17 years and had some good seasons.  So, yeah, he was better than 99% of the QBs in America.  

Your right he doesn't have as much arm talent as most of his starting contemporaries

But he has a better arm than career backups like Barkley or chase Daniels 

He has accuracy with anticipation and barely crosses the NFL threshold of arm strength to play consistently... But he also has huge balls , an underrated scrambler and processes better than most 

It adds up to a good QB with flaws , but will give a fan base hope with some good performances 

• Like (+1) 1

If Amazon would let him do it for the rest of this season and allow him to come back to his commentating job next season, I think he might be able to be talked into taking a 10 week assignment to come in and hang with the boys and write some poetry and get the mojo back. The boys need to figure out how to have fun again and Fitz can teach them that.

I like it.

It wont happen. Similar to my Fitz for HoF campaign. But I like the thought.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

I mean.... the biggest problem Allen has right now is turnovers.... and someone thinks Ftiz is the answer? Lol

Totally different issues.

Josh throws picks off bad decisions. Fitz's picks were mainly because of his weak arm and inability to get the ball there on time. Especially at the end of the game when his shoulder is tired from putting his whole body into every throw the entire game. He'd see a window flash open for a split second and try to get the ball there, but didnt have the zip.

Josh has the zip. Heck, he's got the zap. He just needs to get back to playing loose and being the Beast again. Get some of that open shirt chest hair Fitzmagic swag going.

• Haha (+1) 1

Fitz could help Josh with the picks as in how to throw more.

Josh is now the first Buffalo qb to throw a pick in six straight games since ... wait for it ... not EJ Manuel, not Kyle Orton, not Tyrod Taylor, not Nathan Peterman, not Derek Anderson  ... it's Fitz.

No thanks.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Vomit 1

8 hours ago, BBFL said:

If Fitz, like some have implied, would be unlikely to leave a comfortable gig hosting TNF then why would Peyton leave the slew of things he has with ESPN and Omaha Productions???

It would be awesome if possible but that’s as much of a long shot as McClap getting canned tomorrow…

No, no he would not- my take anyway - he has the dream set up currently and not needing to be in such a grind - I just would absolutely be ecstatic if he did though 

9 hours ago, Chaos said:

Does anyone know where Fitz went to college?

It's a dirty secret that it was Harvard's night school division.  He worked days at a 7-11.

Boss: "We need more hot dogs on the rollers!"

Fitz: "Me with a degree in economics..." 🤨

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
Needed dialogue. 😁
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.