2024 Changes

TFBillsfan

I could certainly see the Bills drafting the punter from Iowa. (Tory Taylor)

Outside of Morse who will likely retire, the OL is much better.  RB will just be Cook remaining. 

IMO, WR, S, C are big positions of need. Depth at DE, DT, LB

The coaching staff gets really intriguing. Does McDermott get fired. No way they run it back with him as the DC. Who are potential DC  candidates? Who are potential candidates for the OC? Does McDermott let the coordinators put their own stamp on things?

If McDermott is back he needs to be mentoring with proven successful head coaches. The most frustrating thing is we are seeing ZERO growth or accountability from him.  That’s extremely troubling for anyone in a leadership position!

7 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

Outside of Morse who will likely retire, the OL is much better.  RB will just be Cook remaining. 

The coaching staff gets really intriguing. Does McDermott get fired. No way they run it back with him as the DC. Who are potential DC  candidates? Who are potential candidates for the OC? Does McDermott let the coordinators put their own stamp on things?

If McDermott is back he needs to be mentoring with proven successful head coaches. The most frustrating thing is we are seeing ZERO growth or accountability from him.  That’s extremely troubling for anyone in a leadership position!

They aren't going to bring in another DC to run a different system. They will likely promote from within and I would expect Babich to be the guy. The defensive side has alot of veteran coaching support on staff already.

I'm just not seeing a full coaching staff overhaul at all after this year.  Maybe that is a year or two away.

• Vomit 1

also need to bring back FLoyd on DL.  

13 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

hopefully McD is gone.  If we bring in an offensive minded OC (Johnson from Det) he may keep Brady as OC perhaps, or bring someone from Det.  I'd like to see Babbich as DC, barring that, there is likely another McD out there (bad head coach, good DC) we could poach.  

If McD stays, he MUST relinquish DC responsibilities.  

IT's a great time to get rid of McDermott, too, for this reason.  We are in for a period of upheaval no matter what.  Why not kill 2 birds with one stone and get it all done now, with the new guy making these decisions so he doesn't have to just reverse them next year when McD gets fired then.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, TFBillsfan said:

I would resign Matt Ariza,  current punter is a buddy of Miller's and it's fine to have him punting 1-2 times a game because offence is so explosive but now with offence struggling punting and field position are so important.

57 minutes ago, wppete said:

Try and trade Von Miller, first priority. And then extend Leonard Floyd. 

C’mon man!!!  

You think you are playing a video game? Miller is 100% untradeable both because of his contract and his decline in play. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

For better or worst the Bills have Von Miller next year. I really do think it's him recovering from an ACL tear versus decline with age so I think next year he'll be decent.

Gabe gone. Try and trade Knox. The whole draft needs to focus on: #2 WR and O-Line. 

I would like if McDermott was let go and the Bills get a new HC. I like Johnson a lot but that OC in Houston is looking pretty impressive

Just now, jlgarsh said:

Fire McDermott at the bye week if they don't win the next 2. 

I think it's game on for McDermott getting fired,  first he fires his buddy Dorsey and just now in his presser he went into detail about Allen and all of his turnovers killing the team.  Those are private conversations that he is getting out in public just in case he gets fired after the season.

For those thinking McDermott gets job for life for getting the Bills back on track. Just remember the Eagles fired Doug Peterson only 3 seasons after he won them a Super Bowl. McDermott already used his full Mulligan after 13 secs and contract extension means nothing because McDermott is young and will find another HC job,  meaning Bills would only pay salary difference.

I personally think if the Bills finish less then 5-2 in their final 7 games he is gone,  all contenders/good teams have dud games during a long season.  10 games into the season we have lost to the Jags/Jets/Pats and now the Broncos.  That can't happen and when you first replace your defensive cordinator with yourself and then fire offensive cordinator the target now goes on his head next.

5-2 and no less,  so that means beating either the Chiefs of Eagles on road and holding serve at home against Jets/Cowboys/Pats and then take one of either Chargers/Dolphins.

I think he needs to split KC/Eagles games because those two are top contenders

2 hours ago, BrooklynBills said:

To preface: I don't think they will be firing McDermott after this season. 

I think they will likely have to go with a younger group on defense based on the salary cap and simply where guys are in their careers.  They have 10 picks in the draft and I think that is something that wasn't an accident and I would expect alot of the picks to be dedicated to supplying that side with youth and cost controlled players. That said, this is a historically good WR draft and I'm expecting that to be a high priority pick.  If they finish 7-10 or 8-9, that would be roughly pick 12-16 which would a great spot to draft or even move up to take one of the top WRs in this class.

They are currently 30M over the salary cap for next year. I would expect the following changes:

Cuts/retirements: Mitch Morse, Tre White, Jordan Poyer, Deonte Harty, Siran Neal, Nyheim Hines, Rasul Douglas

Combined with restructures to: Ed Oliver, Connor McGovern, Tyler Bass

Gets us to roughly 20M in cap space.

Guys who won't be released or traded before June 1 because they would cost more to cut/trade than to keep on the team: Dawson Knox, Stefon Diggs, Von Miller, Kaiir Elam

They could also do things like extend Taron Johnson to reduce his cap hit (or cut him) which would free up more space.

So I would predict roughly 24M-27M in cap space heading into the offseason with 10 picks in the draft.  And thats without touching Allen's contract which I would hope they hold off on for now. I think thats plenty of cap space and picks to make some roster changes in the offseason and, if I'm being honest, I don't think they are losing much in the way of cuts as White hasn't been on the field consistently in 3 years, Poyer has aged, Hyde has aged (although I'd entertain him back on a modest contract), Douglas just got here (I'd also consider giving a new contract that lowers his cap #).

We are 42 million over the cap.  In your cuts/retirements you have 4 guys from the secondary,  we currently have 3 DL under contract,  we need to sign/draft/re-sign 6 guys there.  If you lost Harty which i would do tomorrow and lost Gabe theres 2 WRs spots to fill.  A center spot.  Guess Beane is going to find a bunch of great guys in rounds 5-7 and sign FAs in the 1-2 million range, good luck with that.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

C’mon man!!!  

You think you are playing a video game? Miller is 100% untradeable both because of his contract and his decline in play. 

You never know, some desperate team with  huge cap money to spend that needs leadership and some pass rush can be stupid enough to take on that contract. Even if it’s for a 7th round pick 🤷‍♂️. We were dumb enough to sign him. 

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, wppete said:

You never know, some desperate team with  huge cap money to spend that needs leadership and some pass rush can be stupid enough to take on that contract. Even if it’s for a 7th round pick 🤷‍♂️. We were dumb enough to sign him. 

Maybe Beane could give someone a 5th to take Von and his contract.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Love this, but I'm going to need the DT to be undersized.

The Corner needs to only have Man Coverage skills.

At Running Back, I'd like for him to be mediocre with us, but have success elsewhere. That would be what we need.

The corner needs to be on the third team in training camp until he “earns” it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.