2024 Changes

TFBillsfan

2 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

I think it's game on for McDermott getting fired,  first he fires his buddy Dorsey and just now in his presser he went into detail about Allen and all of his turnovers killing the team.  Those are private conversations that he is getting out in public just in case he gets fired after the season.

For those thinking McDermott gets job for life for getting the Bills back on track. Just remember the Eagles fired Doug Peterson only 3 seasons after he won them a Super Bowl. McDermott already used his full Mulligan after 13 secs and contract extension means nothing because McDermott is young and will find another HC job,  meaning Bills would only pay salary difference.

I personally think if the Bills finish less then 5-2 in their final 7 games he is gone,  all contenders/good teams have dud games during a long season.  10 games into the season we have lost to the Jags/Jets/Pats and now the Broncos.  That can't happen and when you first replace your defensive cordinator with yourself and then fire offensive cordinator the target now goes on his head next.

5-2 and no less,  so that means beating either the Chiefs of Eagles on road and holding serve at home against Jets/Cowboys/Pats and then take one of either Chargers/Dolphins.

I think he needs to split KC/Eagles games because those two are top contenders

That 5-2 mark is really a high bar at this point.  We have barely been able to beat the Giants and Tampa at home.  Right now beating the Jets and Pats at home is not a given.  Losing last night at the end was crushing.  5-2 would put us at 10-7 for the season.  If we can get there, that would be a huge accomplishment.  

If we lose to the Jets on Sunday we could finish 6-11 or 5-12.  We will be dead man walking.  We beat the Jets with a strong performance (which it will take) anything is possible.  But finish with a losing record, and McDermott needs to go for sure!!

4 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

That 5-2 mark is really a high bar at this point.  We have barely been able to beat the Giants and Tampa at home.  Right now beating the Jets and Pats at home is not a given.  Losing last night at the end was crushing.  5-2 would put us at 10-7 for the season.  If we can get there, that would be a huge accomplishment.  

If we lose to the Jets on Sunday we could finish 6-11 or 5-12.  We will be dead man walking.  We beat the Jets with a strong performance (which it will take) anything is possible.  But finish with a losing record, and McDermott needs to go for sure!!

I am not saying it will be easy but to make up for 4 duds against Jets/Pats/Jags and Broncos that is what it will take

Well for one..McDermott will be back. That’s a certainty. His seat maybe a lil warmer but it’s not hot. 4 straight double digit win seasons. 3 division titles in 4 years. They not firing him. 

These next 7 games will us tell what we need to know. They fired Ken Dorsey at the right time because now there is going to be a decent amount of a sample size to see if Joe Brady is the guy for the job. If he is..the Bills could possibly still make the playoffs. If the offense still struggles..there will be an extensive search for a new OC. I’m good with McDermott still running the defense. The defense despite all the injuries is still playing some good football and keeping us in these games. 

1 hour ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Well for one..McDermott will be back. That’s a certainty. His seat maybe a lil warmer but it’s not hot. 4 straight double digit win seasons. 3 division titles in 4 years. They not firing him. 

These next 7 games will us tell what we need to know. They fired Ken Dorsey at the right time because now there is going to be a decent amount of a sample size to see if Joe Brady is the guy for the job. If he is..the Bills could possibly still make the playoffs. If the offense still struggles..there will be an extensive search for a new OC. I’m good with McDermott still running the defense. The defense despite all the injuries is still playing some good football and keeping us in these games. 

I agree that McDermott most likely is back next year. I’m not sure which offensive coordinator they could bring in that would be exciting, especially if McD has started to get a reputation (fired Rick Dennison after 1 year, rumors that Daboll hated him by the end of his tenure, Dorsey not making it two full seasons). 

I do think that McD needs a DC tho. He is a good DC, but at least part of the game mismanagement this year I think is from him trying to hold both HC and DC responsibilities.

9 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

With Dorsey relieved as the OC, Brady will now audition for the role, but barring this team valuing the ball I don’t anticipate much changing this season. It’s more likely they have a losing record than a winning record when the season concludes. McDermott and Beane will need to select an OC and DC which will be critical hires.  McDermott is and should be on the hot seat. His teams under his leadership are outcoached, unprepared, undisciplined and continue to find new games to lose they have no busy losing.

Big changes coming on D!

YTD, Von has ONE tackle and an assist. Honestly, I don’t see why he’s even active on game days. Big cap hit if released but his game looks down.

SECONDARY: Tre, Poyer and Hyde likely gone. That leaves Rapp, Benford, Douglas, Elam, Jackson and Johnson. Will need to add a safety.

LB: Milano, Bernard and D Williams. Need to add LB depth

DL: Gotta get DQ and AJE resigned. Ed, Groot and I’d resign L Joseph. Most likely moving on from Settle and Phillips.

Punter: Martin probably won’t be back

Offensively: Don’t expect Morse to be back. Will need a center. Most importantly will need to upgrade the WR with additional playmakers. 

Josh needs to spend the offseason working on fundamentals and improving his craft.

Will be a defining offseason for Beane and McDermott. They squandered three seasons in a row now!

And they gave away the 2nd round pick for a 35 year old DT

Beane is an Idiot

16 hours ago, billsfan714 said:

We are 42 million over the cap.  In your cuts/retirements you have 4 guys from the secondary,  we currently have 3 DL under contract,  we need to sign/draft/re-sign 6 guys there.  If you lost Harty which i would do tomorrow and lost Gabe theres 2 WRs spots to fill.  A center spot.  Guess Beane is going to find a bunch of great guys in rounds 5-7 and sign FAs in the 1-2 million range, good luck with that.

Not sure where you are getting the 42M number from. We are 29M over the cap fro next year.

And yeah, there is going to be some significant turnover in the secondary.  You have White (29 next year - multiple major injuries), Hyde (34), Poyer (33), and now Douglas (30).  Hyde has a cap hit of 3.5 next year because of the void years so i could them working out a contract to bring him back. Douglas is a 9M hit and I could see them giving him a short extension to lower his number. I don't see how White is back on a 16M cap hit. They save 5.5M cutting Poyer.

Yes, cutting guys creates holes but they will need to fill those holes with draft picks and mid tier FAs, and maybe some re-signings.  FAs will have cheaper cap hits in year one than alot of these aging defenders will have next year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BrooklynBills said:

Not sure where you are getting the 42M number from. We are 29M over the cap fro next year.

And yeah, there is going to be some significant turnover in the secondary.  You have White (29 next year - multiple major injuries), Hyde (34), Poyer (33), and now Douglas (30).  Hyde has a cap hit of 3.5 next year because of the void years so i could them working out a contract to bring him back. Douglas is a 9M hit and I could see them giving him a short extension to lower his number. I don't see how White is back on a 16M cap hit. They save 5.5M cutting Poyer.

Yes, cutting guys creates holes but they will need to fill those holes with draft picks and mid tier FAs, and maybe some re-signings.  FAs will have cheaper cap hits in year one than alot of these aging defenders will have next year.

From Spotrac:

BUFFALO BILLS CAP TOTALS

Adjusted Salary Cap$244,047,903

Active Contracts:$285,607,804

Dead Cap:$574,960

2023 Rollover:$3,547,903

Total (All):$286,182,764

Total (Top 51):$286,182,764

Est. Cap Space (All):$-42,134,861

I didn't make that number up obviously.   Even if I take your 30 mill number, the draft class is probably going to be 8-9 million and will go up with each loss.  So clear 50 mill from the cap and that would leave 12 for FAs.    Again, good luck with that.  Maybe Beane can restructure Von so we have  him all 6 years of that albatross contract.

Edited by billsfan714

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.