DORSEY FIRED, Joe Brady Interim OC

Process

10 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I agree but I responded to a poster who specifically said Allen is a front runner and applied  that he turtles up when the Bills are trailing and can’t bring the Bills back. 

The evidence suggests otherwise.  He’s brought the Bills back just fine in a number of games. 

Which game winning drives this season?

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Exactly my point. He still would be injured here too. With a worse offense. Suddenly he is 8-2 though. He was bad because he was injured but being here injured he woulda won 3 more games. 

I think you missed my point. Allen is careless with the ball. Burrow is not. Allen has trouble reading defenses and throwing to the right guy. Burrow is a better processor and typically makes the correct read. These traits are why I think Burrow would win games where Allen cannot. You know…like the heads up games between them. 

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

I think you missed my point. Allen is careless with the ball. Burrow is not. Allen has trouble reading defenses and throwing to the right guy. Burrow is a better processor and typically makes the correct read. These traits are why I think Burrow would win games where Allen cannot. You know…like the heads up games between them. 

Burrow is a rocket scientist. Allen gets those National Geographic rock kits from Walmart.

• Haha (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

No, seriously. I think you think the Broncos and Patriots games had Allen game winning drives. How far into the delusional are we going here? 

Yes, I felt good whenever Allen had the ball late. I believed he’d get it done. Unfortunately his record in one score games is horrid. Yes, they are not all his fault. Can’t blame 13 seconds on Allen, obviously. But I’d argue the Broncos game was a one score game because of how Allen played all night, along with terrible McDermott, and terrible Dorsey, and terrible Davis..  

The whole thing is on Allen’s shoulders, right? Yes or no. 

At some point, Allen has to take control of this entire team and lead them. Go to McDermott and tell him, “I want JC4 back in the game” and walk away. Tell Dorsey, who you have on speed dial all game, what’s up. It’s like he seems content with being coached and on the field with whomever coaches decide. 

Every single great QB I’ve seen is caught screaming at their o-line, WRs, RBs, and coaches. Even Joe Montana, who may be the least vocal all time great quarterback ever. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I think Buffalo Bills fans are going to be disappointed if they think Sean McDermott is going at the end of the season regardless of what happens. Joe Brady is here on a OC try out. Looking at it objectively for Sean McDermott too have success he needs a strong OC and he needs to do a Chicago Bears Mike Ditka with DC Buddy Ryan. They both were on terrible terms but what made Mike Ditka a Super Bowl head coach. He stayed out of Buddy Ryan side of the building. Sean McDermott needs to think about that because if he keeps meddling in things like offense he will be fired after next season regardless of how Terry Pegula feels about him. Because the Bills aren’t selling 60,000 PSL’s with this current Bills product because Buffalo isn’t Dallas in size where Dallas Cowboys owner could stay loyal to a Jason Garret and still draw sellout crowds. Buffalo/Western New York/Southern Ontario doesn’t have the market size to do that look at the Buffalo Sabres.

Again no matter what Sean McDermott if he has a season like this season he won’t get a 2025 season because the Buffalo Bills will need to get the new coach ready selling hope and change a new beginning for 2026 when the new Bills season starts. Brandon Beane will bring the candidates for Terry Pegula to pick from. Brandon Beane I believe is safe for now he will get one coaching hire than he will be on the hot seat for being fired if it doesn’t turn out. But Sean McDermott can have success if he hires a strong OC with way more experience than Ken Dorsey and stays out of the way on offense in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Super Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

No, seriously. I think you think the Broncos and Patriots games had Allen game winning drives. How far into the delusional are we going here? 

Yes, I felt good whenever Allen had the ball late. I believed he’d get it done. Unfortunately his record in one score games is horrid. Yes, they are not all his fault. Can’t blame 13 seconds on Allen, obviously. But I’d argue the Broncos game was a one score game because of how Allen played all night, along with terrible McDermott, and terrible Dorsey, and terrible Davis..  

At some point, Allen has to take control of this entire team and lead them. Go to McDermott and tell him, “I want JC4 back in the game” and walk away. Tell Dorsey, who you have on speed dial all game, what’s up. It’s like he seems content with being coached and on the field with whomever coaches decide. 

Every single great QB I’ve seen is caught screaming at their o-line, WRs, RBs, and coaches. Even Joe Montana, who may be the least vocal all time great quarterback ever. 

“I haven’t seen Allen have a tantrum therefore he’s not a good QB” is right up there with the Bob from Cheektowaga WGR call ins. Congratulations.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Yes I watched both those games. Let’s take a look back at how bad it really was for Mahomes. 

Against the Jets…KC jumped out to a 17-0 lead before Mahomes got uncharacteristically careless with the ball and let the Jets back in the game. However, he was able to make those typical Mahomes plays that got his team a win in the end.

Against the Broncos…a division rival that Mahomes has never lost to prior including a win just two weeks ago. KC has beaten the Broncos 15 straight times! You don’t think the Broncos players wouldn’t put all their heart and soul into getting one over the Chiefs? Even with all that it took Mahomes visibly fighting a flu and Hardman muffing a punt at their 5 yd line for the Broncos to win. Even with the loss KC is still leading the conference. 

That’s why I was so confident in the Bills winning last night. Broncos had their personal SB against their biggest division opponent. They weren’t going to put in the same effort for the Bills. Then, of course, ints fumbles overall incompetence from everyone including Allen to give it to a Broncos team that didn’t even want to win up to the last missed fg. 

How was my recap? Did I missed anything? Have I made up any lies?

You didn't even mention their actual performance.

Against Denver:
Mahomes vs Allen:
24/38 (63%) --- 15/26 (58%)

240 yards passing --- 177 yards passing

6.3 YPA --- 6.8 YPA
0 passing TDs --- 1 passing TD

2 INTs --- 2 INTs

3 sacks --- 0 sacks
59 passer rating --- 59 passer rating
20 yards rushing --- 13 yards rushing

0 rushing TDs --- 1 rushing TD

1 lost fumble --- 1 lost fumble

^^^ Also Allen converted a 2 pt conversion. KC didn't score a TD this game. Slight advantage to Allen.

Against Jets:

Mahomes vs Allen:

18/30 (60%) --- 29/41 (71%)
203 passing yards --- 236 passing yards

6.8 YPA --- 5.8 YPA

1 passing TD --- 1 passing TD

2 INTs --- 3 INTs

1 sack --- 5 sacks

64 passer rating --- 63 passer rating

51 rushing yards --- 36 rushing yards

0 rushing TDs --- 0 rushing TDs

0 lost fumble --- 1 lost fumble

^^^ Slight advantage to Mahomes. KC was gifted a bogus defensive holding to end this game. They could have easily lost.

You could make the same "Biggest Division Opponent" argument for the Bills against the Jets. Mahomes was trash in both of these games and so was Allen. Mahomes was slightly luckier, so he won one of them. Allen was slightly unluckier (12 men on the field), so he lost both.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

You didn't even mention their actual performance.

Against Denver:
Mahomes vs Allen:
24/38 (63%) --- 15/26 (58%)

240 yards passing --- 177 yards passing

6.3 YPA --- 6.8 YPA
0 passing TDs --- 1 passing TD

2 INTs --- 2 INTs

3 sacks --- 0 sacks
59 passer rating --- 59 passer rating
20 yards rushing --- 13 yards rushing

0 rushing TDs --- 1 rushing TD

1 lost fumble --- 1 lost fumble

^^^ Also Allen converted a 2 pt conversion. KC didn't score a TD this game. Slight advantage to Allen.

Against Jets:

Mahomes vs Allen:

18/30 (60%) --- 29/41 (71%)
203 passing yards --- 236 passing yards

6.8 YPA --- 5.8 YPA

1 passing TD --- 1 passing TD

2 INTs --- 3 INTs

1 sack --- 5 sacks

64 passer rating --- 63 passer rating

51 rushing yards --- 36 rushing yards

0 rushing TDs --- 0 rushing TDs

0 lost fumble --- 1 lost fumble

^^^ Slight advantage to Mahomes. KC was gifted a bogus defensive holding to end this game. They could have easily lost.

You could make the same "Biggest Division Opponent" argument for the Bills against the Jets. Mahomes was trash in both of these games and so was Allen. Mahomes was slightly luckier, so he won one of them. Allen was slightly unluckier (12 men on the field), so he lost both.

I see what’s going now. You look at stats while I actually watch the games to see their ebbs and flows. No wonder we’re not seeing the same things.

I didn’t realized Allen had an undefeated stranglehold over the Jets until that game. It’s not really apples and oranges between the two scenarios when you take the dominance into consideration. 

Anyway, we’re drifting further and further away from the crux. Which is Allen has played poorly thus far this season and that has affected the Bills chances of doing anything significant this year. This is my view. It’s ok if you or others don’t see the same thing. In the end we’re all getting the same results…another season goes by without a championship for the Bills. That I’m confident we can all agree on. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

I see what’s going now. You look at stats while I actually watch the games to see their ebbs and flows. No wonder we’re not seeing the same things.

I didn’t realized Allen had an undefeated stranglehold over the Jets until that game. It’s not really apples and oranges between the two scenarios when you take the dominance into consideration. 

Anyway, we’re drifting further and further away from the crux. Which is Allen has played poorly thus far this season and that has affected the Bills chances of doing anything significant this year. This is my view. It’s ok if you or others don’t see the same thing. In the end we’re all getting the same results…another season goes by without a championship for the Bills. That I’m confident we can all agree on. 

I watched all 4 of the games, and both QBs looked like garbage in both games. Not sure how you could see it any differently. Congrats to Mahomes for having slightly better luck to go 1-1 instead of 0-2 though.

My view is Allen has had some issues, but his output is right there with other QBs that have teams with 8-2 or 7-3 records. This is because the Bills defense has been hot garbage since the Jacksonville game, and a little bit of luck.

Historically, 1 score games should be about 50-50 regardless of how good/bad the teams playing are. The Chiefs are 4-1 in one score games. Bills are 2-5 in one score games. That’s just the kind of sport this is. Sometimes you get a bounce and sometimes you don’t.

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

We may never see that from Josh.  I don't think it's in his nature.  I wish he would get pissed and show some passion (in any direction) on the sidelines. If you think the coaching sucks (which it does) then say something.  Don't just sit there on the sideline like the "good soldier" and not make waves.  This team is a mess.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We may never see that from Josh.  I don't think it's in his nature.  I wish he would get pissed and show some passion (in any direction) on the sidelines. If you think the coaching sucks (which it does) then say something.  Don't just sit there on the sideline like the "good soldier" and not make waves.  This team is a mess.

I personally think, in terms of Josh's attitude, that he is someone who only feels comfortable rallying at others if he himself is having a great game. If he is making errors then he doesn't feel in a position to moan at the OC, or shout at his WRs, or have a go at his OL, as he sees it as hypocritical. And if he's having a good game it usually means the units have shown up, so he has no reason to shout at them.

• Like (+1) 4

6 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

One, vs the Giants.   But late TD vs the Pats in the 4th to take the lead, one vs the Broncos to take the lead.    14 fourth quarter points and a game winning drve vs the Giants.  Technically he gets no credit for 2 TD's in the last two minutes of the 13 seconds game.  But Josh has performed really well in 4th quarters, that is a positive that has happened this season.  The fact the defense has failed in all these cases sucks and you can say he has none if you want to play it that way.  Pro Football Reference lists 16 game winning drives for Allen over his 5.5 years.  Allen is off this year but he has been good late in games.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlleJo02.htm

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, henry jones said:

Definitely not ideal.  Would’ve been better to at least wait til the bye week but this couldn’t be delayed any longer.  Should’ve happened a lot sooner honestly 

Thanks for your helpful input. The thing for me this year is before the season I head top national sportscasters saying the Bill are the best team in football. I don;t remember hearing that in over 20 years. Sure didn't expect this! I think the best team in football could put together a 6 game win streak go 11-5, and maybe make the playoffs so I guess we'll see!

12 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

One example was the Ravens fired Cam Cameron mid season And replaced him with Jim Caldwell. 

Ravens won the Super Bowl

Hey!! 😃 That's cheerful news! All that came to my mind was those coaches who fire coordinators for a couple years before being shown the door themselves. Thanks for telling me that.🙂

12 hours ago, Patrick Duffy said:

I don't know the stats, but in this particular case I'm not sure it can get but so much worse. Imo it's better it happened now than sticking it out til later.

Reason I say that is because it's early enough that you still have time to make a run so why not since you know all you need with Dorsey, so there's a chance players respond differently for the guy taking over. 

When I look at it your way, I agree.

You know Dorsey is near sure gone one way or the other. This way the team still has a chance to make a run. It might shake the mental fog off the players. And Dorsey himself is probably better off because he has that 13-3 record last year and this year isn't his fault for certain, 5-5 is not hat bad, and it's unknown if he could have pulled off a turnaround., He will get good shot at being on the OC track somewhere else.

1 hour ago, DJB said:

Has there been a post about how J Brady likes to run his offense?

No one knows. He’s not very experienced. He had the year as passing coordinator at LSU and then sucked in the NFL for 2 years.

If I were to guess expect a lot of deeper routes.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

I think Buffalo Bills fans are going to be disappointed if they think Sean McDermott is going at the end of the season regardless of what happens. Joe Brady is here on a OC try out. Looking at it objectively for Sean McDermott too have success he needs a strong OC and he needs to do a Chicago Bears Mike Ditka with DC Buddy Ryan. They both were on terrible terms but what made Mike Ditka a Super Bowl head coach. He stayed out of Buddy Ryan side of the building. Sean McDermott needs to think about that because if he keeps meddling in things like offense he will be fired after next season regardless of how Terry Pegula feels about him. Because the Bills aren’t selling 60,000 PSL’s with this current Bills product because Buffalo isn’t Dallas in size where Dallas Cowboys owner could stay loyal to a Jason Garret and still draw sellout crowds. Buffalo/Western New York/Southern Ontario doesn’t have the market size to do that look at the Buffalo Sabres.

Again no matter what Sean McDermott if he has a season like this season he won’t get a 2025 season because the Buffalo Bills will need to get the new coach ready selling hope and change a new beginning for 2026 when the new Bills season starts. Brandon Beane will bring the candidates for Terry Pegula to pick from. Brandon Beane I believe is safe for now he will get one coaching hire than he will be on the hot seat for being fired if it doesn’t turn out. But Sean McDermott can have success if he hires a strong OC with way more experience than Ken Dorsey and stays out of the way on offense in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

You're giving Sean a do-over which means you won't have a new coach here until Josh's age 30 season.  I think there needs to be more urgency than that around this issue.

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

I personally think, in terms of Josh's attitude, that he is someone who only feels comfortable rallying at others if he himself is having a great game. If he is making errors then he doesn't feel in a position to moan at the OC, or shout at his WRs, or have a go at his OL, as he sees it as hypocritical. And if he's having a good game it usually means the units have shown up, so he has no reason to shout at them.

Yeah, I think this is spot on. 

He looked like he wanted to cry on Monday night. That's the sign of someone who takes it all on board. He's emotional. And he plays like he's emotional. 

He's not a machine like Brady. He's a lot more human than most. It's not a great quality in a top-class QB., unfortunately, but I like him for it all the same. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

We can't ignore that he's fired an OC and an ST coach to cover up his own deficiencies, plus lost another OC and DC because they hated him, and is probably on track to fire another ST coach by season's end.

Marv had Walt Corey, Ted Marchibroda, and Bruce DeHaven throughout his entire tenure, pretty much, except that Marchibroda left amicably to be a HC elsewhere.

Be the guy that people want to work for.  He's not.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Bill Grundy said:

Yeah, I think this is spot on. 

He looked like he wanted to cry on Monday night. That's the sign of someone who takes it all on board. He's emotional. And he plays like he's emotional. 

He's not a machine like Brady. He's a lot more human than most. It's not a great quality in a top-class QB., unfortunately, but I like him for it all the same. 

I think that is Allen’s biggest flaw; he’s human.  Also maybe it’s the hair. I feel like this all started when he changed his hair!

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.