Letting Josh coach himself was the incorrect decision

Sharky7337

9 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Dorsey is a bad, bad offensive coordinator. It’s just that simple. Josh wanting him as OC means nothing really with regards to scheme. He picked him because he was familiar with Daboll’s system and the team. 

This. He’s also a proven elite QB coach. Dorsey was the right hire for a magnitude of reasons. Dorsey hasn’t put it all together as an OC and likely will run out of time in Buffalo. We compare him to Dabs all the time but it’s unfair. This was Dabs 3rd stint as an OC and wasn’t elite until year 3 in Buffalo, and that was just the greatness he got from Allen.

Bills couldn’t run or block with Dabs coaching the offense, and the drops had been much worse. 

Dorsey, eventually, will be a great OC. It’s pointless to keep him because once he is great, he will have 3-5 years experience at that point and will get called up to be a HC someplace. 

5 hours ago, Billever76 said:

McDermott is done here..whether you want to believe it or not...he has systematically ruined this team and is in way over his head....stay loyal to McDermott at the expense of allen 

This is a great point - I wonder what Allen really thinks of the offensive struggles, the heavy focus on defensive players, and McDermott overall. In the end, Josh is the franchise - not McD. 

12 hours ago, pocoboy said:

That has seemed to be indicated from the media types who have spoken of the dynamic. McDermott ought to have some leash to figure this out, and hopefully he would consult Beane on ways to "fix" the offense (including play-calling duty changes or outright personnel moves). There's also a case to be made for stability, but it seems that particular approach has run its course. Sure they might beat a Denver team at home, but I could also envision a scenario where that entire stadium starts chanting for an ouster.

Fire Dorsey is an easy chant.

16 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Josh saying post game that he’s “just running the plays that were called” is mind-blowing to me.  This is HIS offense.  HIS offensive coordinator.  He’s in Year Six of this offense basically.  Is he not part of the weekly install?  Wtf is going on there?

Stop protecting coaches Josh and trying too hard to be the nice guy. Come forward and tell the truth. Say what you feel and what we've all seen in living color since the Cincy/Diggs blowup......  "the plays and coaching are holding us back".....the time for protecting Dorsey & Dermott are over.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Josh saying post game that he’s “just running the plays that were called” is mind-blowing to me.  This is HIS offense.  HIS offensive coordinator.  He’s in Year Six of this offense basically.  Is he not part of the weekly install?  Wtf is going on there?

Josh has said some odd things in post game pressers all season. His overall behaviour and demeanour continue to be a little strange. He definitely sounds and looks like at the very minimum he has lost confidence in Dorsey. 

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Number 2 QB in passing yards in the NFL:

Sam Howell

Eric Bienemy creeping up my list btw.  

Meanwhile the offense he left is stuck in 2nd gear....

7 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Dorsey, eventually, will be a great OC. 

Not sure I believe this.

13 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

This. He’s also a proven elite QB coach. Dorsey was the right hire for a magnitude of reasons. Dorsey hasn’t put it all together as an OC and likely will run out of time in Buffalo. We compare him to Dabs all the time but it’s unfair. This was Dabs 3rd stint as an OC and wasn’t elite until year 3 in Buffalo, and that was just the greatness he got from Allen.

I’m not a Daboll apologist, but I think this is a bit much. Outside of coaching Cam Newton, a freak of an athlete, Dorsey had zero experience developing QBs coming to Buffalo. He was QB coach under Daboll, but now it’s obvious that success was more Daboll and less Dorsey. Outside of Newton, who probably would’ve been successful with whomever, his major qualification was that he was from Carolina. Let’s see Dorsey make a purse out of a pigs ear before calling him “elite”. 

The decision to let Josh take on a coaching role certainly had its pros and cons, and it's clear there were varying opinions on Dorsey as an offensive coordinator. Coaching careers can have different trajectories, just like Daboll's. Comparing Dorsey to him may not be entirely fair, as each coach has their unique path. The performance of the Bills can be influenced by coaching changes, impacting aspects like running and blocking. Dorsey might have needed more time to grow into the OC role. In the grand scheme of things, coaching decisions can made with the help of a coin flipper sometimes.

Edited by Steinsman1981

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.