Bills @ Bengals postgame thread

Simon

Man, there sure is a lot of glee nationally from other fanbases & pundits re: our perceived demise.

I find that kind of weird, personally.  I definitely like seeing teams like the Pats and Cowboys lose.  But they already have a ton of hardware in the trophy case.  

How enjoyable is it to see a fanbase that has arguably had more prominent heartbreak over decades than any other team continue to experience that?  It would be like being stoked if the Cubs hadn't pulled through and instead lost that World Series in a tough way....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Success said:

Man, there sure is a lot of glee nationally from other fanbases & pundits re: our perceived demise.

I find that kind of weird, personally.  I definitely like seeing teams like the Pats and Cowboys lose.  But they already have a ton of hardware in the trophy case.  

How enjoyable is it to see a fanbase that has arguably had more prominent heartbreak over decades than any other team continue to experience that?  It would be like being stoked if the Cubs hadn't pulled through and instead lost that World Series in a tough way....

I suppose some are tired of seeing the Bills make the playoffs. People tend to like new teams and new faces. The underdog story is always nice. Buffalo no longer fits into this category. Think the Detroit Lions. 

2 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

Our secondary plays so far off man that the flats and 1-8 yard past the LOS is seemingly always open.  The blitz seems to never work because the opposing QB sees a guy basically uncovered and makes the pass. 

McD zone scheme is a perfect fit for a QB like Burrow. 

• Like (+1) 1

In retrospect, I think we can finally put the '13 seconds would have won a SB' crap to bed because there was no way this team was beating this same Bengals team in the AFCCG that year either.

In fact here's a very sobering thing to consider....if not for the Hamlin incident this team would be 0-3 against the Bengals right now in a span of 11 months going back to that fateful MNF game at the beginning of this year.

I picked the Bengals to win the SB this year for a reason and sticking with that despite the fact that the Chiefs and Ravens will likely have something to say about it January.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Success said:

There were a lot of draft night hot takes that people hope to have proven correct in the end. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I hope we win next week, but if we lose it won’t be so bad. I’ll be able to emotionally release the expectations I had from before the season and accept we likely will not be making the playoffs.

I think you can do that now. It's not looking promising. What makes you think there will be a positive turnaround? The coaching staff?

Trust your eyes and believe what you are seeing. It's a mediocre team sadly. 

32 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Yes 1 in 5 games

You just can't expect much from this defense. Too many injuries to overcome. They play hard but just don't have the talent. 

35 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

There were a lot of draft night hot takes that people hope to have proven correct in the end. 

Come on now. All of us want the Bills to win and hoist a Lombardi. That's the goal and the desire by all of us. 

To throw mud at individuals that want to be right over the above desire is ridiculous. 

I feel I've been plenty right on criticizing the team. I feel no euphoria on being right. In fact, it's the opposite because the Bills are floundering. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Come on now. All of us want the Bills to win and hoist a Lombardi. That's the goal and the desire by all of us. 

To throw mud at individuals that want to be right over the above desire is ridiculous. 

I feel I've been plenty right on criticizing the team. I feel no euphoria on being right. In fact, it's the opposite because the Bills are floundering. 

Nobody was talking about you. It was in response to national media figures that seem to take glee in the Bills decline. I was arguing that it’s because they had hot takes on draft night in 2018.

Edited by FrenchConnection
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Nobody was talking about you. It was in response to national media figures that seem to take glee in the Bills decline. I was arguing that it’s because they had hot takes on draft night in 2018.

It cuts both way here. Do you remember when the national media was overwhelmingly picking the Bills to win the Superbowl? I guess that was OK in your eyes. 

The slamming of the media here is humorous. I guess it's easy for some Bills fans to get into the victim role. 

The Bills simple don't deserve accolades or pity especially from the national media. They have earned the harsh criticisms. 

6 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Sure Allen and Diggs are top 5 but who else on the O is even above average? And yes I have high hopes for Kincaid but he's not there yet.

The injury's on D suck but when you put so many eggs in one basket and then drop the basket what do you expect to happen?

I think the difference between how I look at this and you do is that my expectation of the offense is a lot lower then yours is.  I can't help but notice that again our O line is below average; that we don't have any dangerous weapons beyond Diggs (Kincaid is getting close); the coaching is average at best and the franchise has made a conscious decision to focus more on the D then the O. 

Like a lot of Bills fans I was fooled by the sheer productivity and brilliance of Allen.  He fooled us into thinking we had a great offense instead of a unicorn at QB. And we've been warned by analyst after analyst who said that our inability to run the ball was not sustainable; that our over reliance on Allen was not sustainable; and that we had to improve our O line and get more play makers on the field.

We did try to address these short comings in the draft this year and it looks like it will pay off with Kincaid.  But it may be a case of to little to late.

Davis, Cook, and Knox are average to above average. The entire OL probably falls in that category too.

Not sure where you’re going with the egg basket metaphor. My expectations for the defense are around where they would be for the offense if it lost Diggs, Morse, and Cook for the year. 

We clearly did put resources into the OL having signed McGovern, drafted Torrence in Round 2, and our competition for Brown was injured. (Don’t get me wrong; I’ll almost never be upset at resource allocation toward either line.)

I’m not quite to Fire Dorsey but to me the talent is there on offense. The defense just got ravaged by injuries including Miller’s lack of return to form.

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks

11 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Davis, Cook, and Knox are average to above average. The entire OL probably falls in that category too.

Not sure where you’re going with the egg basket metaphor. My expectations for the defense are around where they would be for the offense if it lost Diggs, Morse, and Cook for the year. 

We clearly did put resources into the OL having signed McGovern, drafted Torrence in Round 2, and our competition for Brown was injured. (Don’t get me wrong; I’ll almost never be upset at resource allocation toward either line.)

I’m not quite to Fire Dorsey but to me the talent is there on offense. The defense just got ravaged by injuries including Miller’s lack of return to form.

I would agree with that, but (especially with Davis) they aren’t consistently average. I’ll take a guy who is always a 7/10 than a guy who is either a 4/10 or a 9/10. 

43 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I think you can do that now. It's not looking promising. What makes you think there will be a positive turnaround? The coaching staff?

I think it isn’t an unlikely outcome that the Bills beat the weaker part of their schedule, go 10-7 and sneak in. It won’t be impressive, but it wouldn’t surprise me either.

If we lose next week that is pretty much dead in my mind.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I think it isn’t an unlikely outcome that the Bills beat the weaker part of their schedule, go 10-7 and sneak in. It won’t be impressive, but it wouldn’t surprise me either.

If we lose next week that is pretty much dead in my mind.

I'm not going to hold on to a false belief that this team is playoff worthy. They aren't. They are bad on both sides of the ball. Not sure how any fan can't see this. To think this team will go on a run is borderline crazy. 

2 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Just listening to McDermott and Dorseys press conferences from today, we're done. Lots of "I have confidence in so and so" blah blah. Buckle up people. This team is gonna suck the rest of the way. Dorsey sounds like he has no plans of changing anything

There is no the lights are going to turn on here. The bulb is burned out. Believe what you see. This coaching staff is bad. 

9 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Just listening to McDermott and Dorseys press conferences from today, we're done. Lots of "I have confidence in so and so" blah blah. Buckle up people. This team is gonna suck the rest of the way. Dorsey sounds like he has no plans of changing anything

Well, if he does have such plans he’s certainly not talking about them at a press conference. 

25 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Frankly sounded like McD was okay with the offensive scheme but not it’s execution even though the scheme was primarily what sunk us. That is extremely concerning.

He seems to value his defense getting rest over actually scoring. It feels like punts are okay and the occasional 3 and out or 6 and out are fine as long as they eat some clock and don’t turn it over. Which inherently wrong; you play to win not to not lose

2 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Frankly sounded like McD was okay with the offensive scheme but not it’s execution even though the scheme was primarily what sunk us. That is extremely concerning.

He seems to value his defense getting rest over actually scoring. It feels like punts are okay and the occasional 3 and out or 6 and out are fine as long as they eat some clock and don’t turn it over. Which inherently wrong; you play to win not to not lose

Maybe the problem is that he never stopped thinking like a DC.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.