downhill skiing

Joe Ferguson forever

2 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

the steep is pretty cool tho.  where I tore my ACL,,,,,eggbeater yard sale.

Noooo!

Back in the 90s I went to Park City with two friends and my then gf. First day I go off by myself while everyone else does their thing. One friend, Bill, went to take a lesson. While I’m getting on my second lift I see a sled dragging someone and think - that hat looks like Bill’s, but he’s in a lesson. Ha, wouldn’t that have sucked? Eventually I come off the slopes to the lodge looking for my friends. Bill is sitting at a table. I get to him and his leg is in a brace. ****! He had time for a run before his lesson and blew his ACL out. First run of the first day of a week skiing. Now that sucked. Lotta weird things with that trip but I won’t bore you with them all.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

Noooo!

Back in the 90s I went to Park City with two friends and my then gf. First day I go off by myself while everyone else does their thing. One friend, Bill, went to take a lesson. While I’m getting on my second lift I see a sled dragging someone and think - that hat looks like Bill’s, but he’s in a lesson. Ha, wouldn’t that have sucked? Eventually I come off the slopes to the lodge looking for my friends. Bill is sitting at a table. I get to him and his leg is in a brace. ****! He had time for a run before his lesson and blew his ACL out. First run of the first day of a week skiing. Now that sucked. Lotta weird things with that trip but I won’t bore you with them all.

I skied on my busted MCL for a day.  then it blew up.  seems ok now.  it's dangerous but so f'in fun.

• Agree 1

Lots of places mentioned here out west, We have done a few out west, if you find yourself in Jackson hole, try Gran Targhee, its on the backside of JH. The day we ventured there, we had excellent powder and a fantastic day (Except my brother in law who was the first patient at the newly opened Driggs Idaho Emergency Room). When we got back to the condo in JH everyone was sharing their day and those that went to Jackson Hole were grousing and complaining about conditions, while we were waist deep in gorgeous fluff. Word of advice, make sure the weather is clear since the mountain pass to get there can get closed down with any significant snow. 

I am also a big fan of Mt. Tremblant if you are in the east. Great long cruisers, some nice steeps but can get very cold if that is an issue. 

my fav ski resort was Steamboat. Skiing on what we used to call champagne powder. I haven't skiied in several years. But I LOVE the sport . I love the vibe, the weather, just being in the mountains

I had white rossignol falcon skis. And me picking Steamboat as my fav was because it was the day I skiied the bwst I ever had. I was on a roll fearless in control good form LOL Steamboat Springs CO and muppy what a pair 🙂

I lived in Colo Spgs CO  so there are not many front range ski areas have I haven't skiied. The most common for us was Breckenridge. Also great. I was novice-medium ability skiier and they offered some great easy blue runs loved it.

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

10256196_10152365038905991_2215888511760

The idea of skiing is growing on me again.   😋

Somewhere above is a comment about some place being too flat. THAT would be my kind of place! My sister is partner in a big ski house in Killington. It was brutally cold, and the snow wasn’t great on my couple trips there, but they had the longest greenest trail I’ve ever seen. Loved that!  I want nothing death defying, I just want a nice easy glide for gentle pleasure. 

I do not ski or snowboard, however, I live about 10 minutes away from Pico and Killington Mountains.  My daughter is on the Pico ski race team, and my wife/daughter/son all have season passes to Pico.  They go to Killington 4-5 times a season, and sometimes venture out to Sugarbush, Stratton and Okemo.  I get lots of peace and quiet on the weekends during the winter time which is fine by me!  😉 

33 minutes ago, Augie said:

The idea of skiing is growing on me again.   😋

Somewhere above is a comment about some place being too flat. THAT would be my kind of place! My sister is partner in a big ski house in Killington. It was brutally cold, and the snow wasn’t great on my couple trips there, but they had the longest greenest trail I’ve ever seen. Loved that!  I want nothing death defying, I just want a nice easy glide for gentle pleasure. 

My recommendation would be Breckenridge. I recall it being known for a good beginners intermediate type mountain. This is from my experience having skied at  Breckenridge, Copper Mountain, Keystone, Crested Butte, Steamboat Springs, Monarch which may or may not even be still open. I think that's it. 

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, muppy said:

My recommendation would be Breckenridge. I recall it being known for a good beginners intermediate type mountain. This is from my experience having skied at  Breckenridge, Copper Mountain, Keystone, Crested Butte, Steamboat Springs, Monarch which may or may not even be still open. I think that's it. 

We were in Breckenridge for the kids first ski trip during March Madness. They were big AAU Hoops kids and used to go to UNC camp in Chapel Hill each summer. I hope I NEVER forget the night we watched UNC play at some place (Eric’s Down Under?) while we played games in the arcade section and ate. The kind of night that can choke you up. One of those great memories. 

My problem with Breckenridge was the altitude. We were coming from about 12-14 feet. (We could hear the boats, but seeing the boats costs a tad bit more.) Breckenridge was significantly higher. The town (I just peeked) is 9,600 feet. I hate math, but I think that is exactly……..a LOT!  It got us.  The youngest bent over to make his first snowball and I barely caught his hood before his face hit the sidewalk. 

We spent $400 at Main Street Oxygen, like many people before us, and spent the first day or two in the condo with tubes up our noses!  YAY!!! What fun!  😂 

EDIT for PSA reasons: We’ve learned since then, from people who made the same mistake we did, is you fly into Denver and spend a night a mile up, before going up to almost double that. 

Edited by Augie
  • Shocked 1

51 minutes ago, muppy said:

What was Crested Butte like? That place always looked intriguing - but maybe hard to get to.

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

What was Crested Butte like? That place always looked intriguing - but maybe hard to get to.

we won a weekend there including  condo after winning a radio station contest. It was in the spring and people were literally skiing in shorts. Gorgeous sunny day. We were having such a good time we barely stopped all day. I paid for it later than night.  The sun was so bright reflecting off the snow my eyeballs got sunburned. We didn't even ski the 2nd day. We needed ER prescription for eye drops to help. The pharmacy said we took the last dose they had. Oh My

What I do remember distinctly was how many deer we saw in that area . Notably so. It was a road trip for us but we loved it. 

• Shocked 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, muppy said:

we won a weekend there including  condo after winning a radio station contest. It was in the spring and people were literally skiing in shorts. Gorgeous sunny day. We were having such a good time we barely stopped all day. I paid for it later than night.  The sun was so bright reflecting off the snow my eyeballs got sunburned. We didn't even ski the 2nd day. We needed ER prescription for eye drops to help. The pharmacy said we took the last dose they had. Oh My

What I do remember distinctly was how many deer we saw in that area . Notably so. It was a road trip for us but we loved it. 

What a great story - obviously the eyeballs and missing a ski day sucked - but in my experience the best memories weren't when everything went according to plan. Thanks for sharing.  

On 11/1/2023 at 1:21 PM, Joe Ferguson forever said:

who's into it?  any exciting trips planned.  fav mountain.  equipment etc.....

Got some Volkl's arriving tomorrow

Heading to Colorado and Tahoe this year. Maybe Whistler if I can convince my bud.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, muppy said:

Snowblind!

One gets a better tan in mountains than the at the beach.  Snow reflects the most light... More than sand...

Next time glacier glasses!

il_fullxfull.270453754.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Augie said:

We were in Breckenridge for the kids first ski trip during March Madness. They were big AAU Hoops kids and used to go to UNC camp in Chapel Hill each summer. I hope I NEVER forget the night we watched UNC play at some place (Eric’s Down Under?) while we played games in the arcade section and ate. The kind of night that can choke you up. One of those great memories. 

My problem with Breckenridge was the altitude. We were coming from about 12-14 feet. (We could hear the boats, but seeing the boats costs a tad bit more.) Breckenridge was significantly higher. The town (I just peeked) is 9,600 feet. I hate math, but I think that is exactly……..a LOT!  It got us.  The youngest bent over to make his first snowball and I barely caught his hood before his face hit the sidewalk. 

We spent $400 at Main Street Oxygen, like many people before us, and spent the first day or two in the condo with tubes up our noses!  YAY!!! What fun!  😂 

EDIT for PSA reasons: We’ve learned since then, from people who made the same mistake we did, is you fly into Denver and spend a night a mile up, before going up to almost double that. 

low dose prednisone can help.

8 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Snowblind!

One gets a better tan in mountains than the at the beach.  Snow reflects the most light... More than sand...

Next time glacier glasses!

il_fullxfull.270453754.jpg

I was the fool with zero eye protection. I learned a lesson that day. It's very painful. And especially that first night until the drops started to soothe  the room had to be curtains closed lights off. By the next day we were fine to drive back to Colo Spgs. (home)  at the time

11 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

What a great story - obviously the eyeballs and missing a ski day sucked - but in my experience the best memories weren't when everything went according to plan. Thanks for sharing.  

eyewear protection FTW. Frankly that day was a blast but in retrospect  I was an idiote' 🙂

20 hours ago, muppy said:

my fav ski resort was Steamboat. Skiing on what we used to call champagne powder. I haven't skiied in several years. But I LOVE the sport . I love the vibe, the weather, just being in the mountains

I had white rossignol falcon skis. And me picking Steamboat as my fav was because it was the day I skiied the bwst I ever had. I was on a roll fearless in control good form LOL Steamboat Springs CO and muppy what a pair 🙂

I lived in Colo Spgs CO  so there are not many front range ski areas have I haven't skiied. The most common for us was Breckenridge. Also great. I was novice-medium ability skiier and they offered some great easy blue runs loved it.

Ever go over the back at Steamboat and feed the jays off the Morningside lift? Of course, like anything else that's cool the ptb's want to ban it https://www.steamboatpilot.com/news/steamboat-resort-asks-guests-to-stop-feeding-birds-near-morningside-lift/

Breck I like to turn laps at Peak 7 to warm up and then head to Peak 6 on the Kensho lift for a little adventure. You notice exactly where the tree line is on that chair lol, not for windy days.

Edited by Ralonzo
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

Ever go over the back at Steamboat and feed the jays off the Morningside lift? Of course, like anything else that's cool the ptb's want to ban it https://www.steamboatpilot.com/news/steamboat-resort-asks-guests-to-stop-feeding-birds-near-morningside-lift/

Breck I like to turn laps at Peak 7 to warm up and then head to Peak 6 on the Kensho lift for a little adventure. You notice exactly where the tree line is on that chair lol, not for windy days.

I took a lesson on Steeplechase run at Aspen Highlands 10-15 years ago.  wanted to do a "real" double black and made it with 1 small fall.  Reading some ski news on Aspen, a German  woman in a group lesson died the next week while the class watched her tumble down that run.  Freaked me out.  No more "real" double blacks for me.  as an aside, met Lindsey Vonn on the slopes that day.  She was a friend of my Canadian instructor.  Was very nice.

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

I’ve been to the top of peak 6 on a windy day when they literally stopped the lift a few chairs after we got off. Wind was almost blowing us over up there. Thought my wife was going to kill me for dragging her up there 😂. Loved the runs though!

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.