downhill skiing

Joe Ferguson forever

Here's the story.  20 years ago.  Vonn musta been around 20.

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/woman-dies-from-highlands-fall/

A 26-year-old German woman who tumbled down Steeplechase Wednesday has become the third person to die after a ski accident at Aspen Highlands in the last two weeks....The snowpack was hard Wednesday in Steeplechase, a double-black-diamond area. No new snow has fallen in at least a week, and the ski patrol posted signs this week warning skiers of the slick conditions in Highland Bowl, above Steeplechase.

so, anyone been to Taos?  even if not to ski?

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever

1 hour ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Anyone ever get frostbit?  Hurts like hell.  for months.   A lifty wouldn't let me up a T bar in college once.  Asked why and he said, "the tip of your nose is white".  Skiing in N New York is not for wimps.

Years ago we skiied on a brutally cold day at Mt. Snow. First lift up was notorious for being very cold and windy as you approached the summit. We all geared up covering every inch of exposed skin - except for one knucklehead friend who left his face exposed. They were checking every one getting off the lift pointed at my friend and told him to go inside the summit lodge. He protested until the guy whipped out a mirror and showed him the patch of skin on his cheek that had turned white.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Years ago we skiied on a brutally cold day at Mt. Snow. First lift up was notorious for being very cold and windy as you approached the summit. We all geared up covering every inch of exposed skin - except for one knucklehead friend who left his face exposed. They were checking every one getting off the lift pointed at my friend and told him to go inside the summit lodge. He protested until the guy whipped out a mirror and showed him the patch of skin on his cheek that had turned white.

sometimes the conditions are just too extreme.  mother nature can be tough!

Have u tried telemark skiing on crosscountry skis.  I haven't but I admire the movements and gliding.  Always watch those folks when I can.  Back towards the roots...

https://olympics.com/en/news/what-is-telemark

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever

1 minute ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

sometimes the conditions are just too extreme.  mother nature can be tough!

My 'too extreme' story was also at Mt. Snow. Woke up to sub-zero temps on Sunday morning. Went to the mountain and explained that we didn't like the snow conditions (you couldn't say weather) and asked for a refund. As we were walking back to our car we saw a group of 4 headed to the lifts that had to be in their 70's.  I felt shame. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

My 'too extreme' story was also at Mt. Snow. Woke up to sub-zero temps on Sunday morning. Went to the mountain and explained that we didn't like the snow conditions (you couldn't say weather) and asked for a refund. As we were walking back to our car we saw a group of 4 headed to the lifts that had to be in their 70's.  I felt shame. 

u should not.  they paid for it, I guarantee.  On that note, Beech gives free tix to anyone over 70.  took my contractor and gave him my old skis last year.  He does excellent work and we like each other.  Few years til I ski free at little beech mtn - talk about dangerous beginners...

Nothing beats eastern hardpack! Hey... If you don't like ice, just don't turn on it. LoL...

Babies... 

The headwall @ HolidayValley... I bypassed it to film my son attempt to ski that sheet of ice... Hey! He at least made it down on one ski!

5 years ago...

Then when he strapped the GoPro to revisit TheWall... He did make a good recovery on the first dump, but lost one pole on the second dump!  Should have had his pole straps on, wouldn't have need to go get the lost pole!

He caught up to me... Had some nice snow on EgoAlley. It's usually barespots with rock...LoL...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Nothing beats eastern hardpack! Hey... If you don't like ice, just don't turn on it. LoL...

Babies... 

The headwall @ HolidayValley... I bypassed it to film my son attempt to ski that sheet of ice... Hey! He at least made it down on one ski!

5 years ago...

Then when he strapped the GoPro to revisit TheWall... He did make a good recovery on the first dump, but lost one pole on the second dump!  Should have had his pole straps on, wouldn't have need to go get the lost pole!

He caught up to me... Had some nice snow on EgoAlley. It's usually barespots with rock...LoL...

good stuff!

11 hours ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

good stuff!

I never really figured out a good place for the GoPro.  Generally I like it on a chest harness. It ain't going on a helmet because I don't wear  helmet all the time. Kinda a fad we were using a few years back...

...I guess a drone would be the best.  I think all places are "no drone zones."

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/3/2023 at 8:49 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Just before covid there was a -25F morning at breck, it was magical, you see snow like you never see any other time, kinda like nanosnow. Refracts rainbows all around.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Just before covid there was a -25F morning at breck, it was magical, you see snow like you never see any other time, kinda like nanosnow. Refracts rainbows all around.

Yamma hamma, how much wind? I never experienced -25F. I don't think I have the gear for that. And if there was any wind fuhgeddaboudit - I'd be seeing rainbows, unicorns and who knows what else :)

5 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Yamma hamma, how much wind? I never experienced -25F. I don't think I have the gear for that. And if there was any wind fuhgeddaboudit - I'd be seeing rainbows, unicorns and who knows what else :)

It was still, very very still. The snow just kinda hung in the air like fine dust. There was more drag than you'd have thought, because I don't bring friggin' Antarctica wax. But temp-wise it wasn't really bad at all with full balaclava, hot-hands and hot-toes. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.