downhill skiing

Joe Ferguson forever

let's see if I can get this rolling....Taos in Feb.  my fav in US is Big sky.  racing cup run in wv in Feb.  can provide link if anyone interested.  it's 1.5 mile downhill course.  winner aves 60 mph.  I was a little more than 1/2 that fast last year but in the masters division (old guys).  + have repaired ACL and unfixed MCL on the other knee.  Park city a close second.

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Park City is beautiful. That was the last place I skied, and I’m OK if that was the last time I ski in my life.

I love the trips, the falling snow, tubing, snowmobiles and sitting by the fire with a beverage. It’s the actual skiing that I don’t love about “ski trips”. I have no desire to experience ACL surgery. I just had my annual eye exam and my Doc recently tore her ACL taking the kids skiing. I don’t want to join that club. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Augie said:

Park City is beautiful. That was the last place I skied, and I’m OK if that was the last time I ski in my life.

I love the trips, the falling snow, tubing, snowmobiles and sitting by the fire with a beverage. It’s the actual skiing that I don’t love about “ski trips”. I have no desire to experience ACL surgery. I just had my annual eye exam and my Doc recently tore her ACL taking the kids skiing. I don’t want to join that club.  .

yes, no fun at all.  but the adrenaline rush....live for it.  both injuries spring skiing hitting rocks under my skis...Davos is my all time fav.  12 mile trail thru 2 towns. One was an egg beater yard sale....u never want a sled to bring u down.  twang like breaking a guitar string.

I would have been highly active in this thread 5-10 years ago. Sadly I haven't skiied much the past few years.

I was never more than an upper immediate skiier and didn't start until my mid-20's. Our go-to mountain was Mt. Snow in Vermont - best combination of mountain size and distance from home for us. I've been to a number of resorts out west and there was something to like about each of them. Never made it to Taos, but that was definitely on the to-do list. Wasn't that one of the hold-outs that didn't allow snowboarders? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

I would have been highly active in this thread 5-10 years ago. Sadly I haven't skiied much the past few years.

I was never more than an upper immediate skiier and didn't start until my mid-20's. Our go-to mountain was Mt. Snow in Vermont - best combination of mountain size and distance from home for us. I've been to a number of resorts out west and there was something to like about each of them. Never made it to Taos, but that was definitely on the to-do list. Wasn't that one of the hold-outs that didn't allow snowboarders? 

and Breck

and Breck  Ok rossi 83 exp.  got annoyed when a lifty told me my bandits were antiques.  Head rock skis.  marker racing bindings and solomon boots.

1 hour ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

and Breck

and Breck  Ok rossi 83 exp.  got annoyed when a lifty told me my bandits were antiques.  Head rock skis.  marker racing bindings and solomon boots.

When I do go, I'm on old equipment (and wearing old clothing). Atomic Beta Ride circa 2000. Still love them. Before that it was Salomon Force 9, I still can't believe how long and skinny those were, definitely not made for the powder as I found out.

Vail was my favorite out west. Great combination of resort town, night life and the back bowls. Plus it isn't too far from Denver. But the best skiing I ever experienced was at Alta. Had a few epic powder days there. 

• Like (+1) 1

When I do go, I'm on old equipment (and wearing old clothing). Atomic Beta Ride circa 2000. Still love them. Before that it was Salomon Force 9, I still can't believe how long and skinny those were, definitely not made for the powder as I found out.

Vail was my favorite out west. Great combination of resort town, night life and the back bowls. Plus it isn't too far from Denver. But the best skiing I ever experienced was at Alta. Had a few epic powder days there. 

back bowls are a nightmare.  powder skis i don't have,

2 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

vail.  i lost a ski

I was at a sales meeting at work and they did a “guess who this was” thing.  Buried after an avalanche in Switzerland for some ridiculous time. 

Not sure if he got his ski back. 😂 Crazy story! 

1 minute ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

vail.  i lost a ski

Damn, how'd you get back? 

Had a friend who dropped a pole in the back bowls and we spent awhile looking for it in the powder. He finally decided to give up, let out a curse and slammed his other pole down. Clink! Right on the 'lost' pole. Good times. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I was at a sales meeting at work and they did a “guess who this was” thing.  Buried after an avalanche in Switzerland for some ridiculous time. 

Not sure if he got his ski back. 😂 Crazy story! 

got mine back.  never again.  grooming is good in this category even black ice with sharp edges,

3 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

i have atomics.  185's.  not powder skis for me.  Orange and black? first rossi racing were the same.

My son and myself 5 years ago... Lutsen Mountains, Minnesota... Between Duluth and Thunder Bay, Ontario.  That's the sunrise over Lake Superior in the Arrowhead of Minnesota @ almost -30°F... Why I covered my goggles going through the snow gun... Son went through woods to avoid the plastering... Coffee run cruiser on a flat hill... But Gitchee Gumee looks beautiful and we were basically the only ones out that early w/the snow patrol...

I got one comment a few months ago... Can anyone explain it, or make heads or tails of it... Is it religious???

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

My son and myself 5 years ago... Lutsen Mountains, Minnesota... Between Duluth and Thunder Bay, Ontario.  That's the sunrise over Lake Superior in the Arrowhead of Minnesota @ almost -30°F... Why I covered my goggles going through the snow gun... Son went through woods to avoid the plastering... Coffee run cruiser on a flat hill... But Gitchee Gumee looks beautiful and we were basically the only ones out that early w/the snow patrol...

I got one comment a few months ago... Can anyone explain it, or make heads or tails of it... Is it religious???

here's a comment:  ice box of N america,  Cool vid.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Powder straps are a must.

Ribbons work... You can spot the ski.

3 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

here's a comment:  ice box of N america,  Cool vid.

Coldest I ever skied. Actual temp was almost -30°F. Mid-January... Still open water on Lake Superior!

Not too much vertical in MidWest... Mount Bohemia on The Keweenaw in Michigan probably the biggest vertical. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.