downhill skiing

Joe Ferguson forever

17 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Ribbons work... You can spot the ski.

did you have a block heater to stop your oil from freezing?  try snowshoe race= get a nice tee shirt too.  $50.  and north face bumper stickers..  see u there

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever

31 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

i have atomics.  185's.  not powder skis for me.  Orange and black? first rossi racing were the same.

My Atomics aren't strictly powder skis but they perform really well in the powder. Probably around 180-185. Which was a far cry from the Salomon's which were over 200. Those were a lot of fun for skiing in the east but unmanageable (at least for me) out west.

7 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

My Atomics aren't strictly powder skis but they perform really well in the powder. Probably around 180-185. Which was a far cry from the Salomon's which were over 200. Those were a lot of fun for skiing in the east but unmanageable (at least for me) out west.

skied a lot in Lake placid.  holding an edge on Niagara falls was crucial.  talk about N Face....F'in nets with rips on the corners,,,

17 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Ribbons work... You can spot the ski.

Yeah but if you just use ribbons then you miss out on overspending for powder straps at the base lodge. Same premise though.

4 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

skied a lot in Lake placid.  holding an edge on Niagara falls was crucial.  talk about N Face....

Lake Placid, so Iceface Whiteface? Never made it up there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Yeah but if you just use ribbons then you miss out on overspending for powder straps at the base lodge. Same premise though.

Lake Placid, so Iceface Whiteface? Never made it up there.

Ice face,  ncaa race,  geez did Bodie change the sport.

35 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

did you have a block heater to stop your oil from freezing?  try snowshoe race= get a nice tee shirt too.  $50.  and north face bumper stickers..  see u there

No. That trip I took my old 2006 Jeep TJ Wrangler... I got up every 2 hours or so to run it for a 1/2 hour.

Lots of practice doing that @ work with our old compressors years ago...

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

2008 in Baraboo, Wisconsin... People were bringing their batteries into the hotel. Screw that shi... I put an SAE pig tail connector on my batteries to facilitate charging it easier OR putting the pack on it.

Wv is not so cold...microclimate but still...pretty great

Wife and I bought a condo in Whitefish, MT a couple years ago so it’s been hard to go anywhere else since then. Last year I got three trips in, probably only two this season. Will be heading out there this weekend though to work on a couple projects so I’m sure looking up at the mountain every day will have me chomping. 

Our place is only like 10 minutes from the ski resort so it’s super convenient.  5-6 minute walk through our neighborhood and can catch a free bus up to the mountain or into downtown (bout a mile). Even though it’s so close, we’ve done a bit of exploring. Did a day trip up into Fernie, BC last year (2 hrs) which was pretty cool. Conditions were brutal (horrible vis & light rain) but we still had fun. The bowls there are no joke, pretty steep stuff. 

Also checked out a locals hill about 45 minutes away down near flathead lake called blacktail mountain. It was a real hidden gem, especially with our 6 year old. Old school, family friendly, no frills type place with friendly workers and great runs. Had perfect weather and incredible views all the way to Glacier National Park. 

Have some friends that live out in Tahoe that we will probably get out to try and see next year so should be able to check out Palisades. 

Also high up on my list of places to try is Sun Valley. Columbus is getting nonstops to SLC back next year I believe so probably will try to get out to one of the Utah resorts at some point as well. I could spend every day on the mountain and be happy. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

have u done cloud heaven in

whistler?  not a fav,  banff?

Have not. Fernie was actually the first time I’d ventured north of the border to shred. Would definitely go back for a day trip but would probably do it on a whim when conditions were good. Banff is like 4.5 hrs from our place, will probably have to do an overnight up there sometime. Would love to take a couple weeks and do a big circle on the powder highway, looks like an absolute blast. 

2 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Have not. Fernie was actually the first time I’d ventured north of the border to shred. Would definitely go back for a day trip but would probably do it on a whim when conditions were good. Banff is like 4.5 hrs from our place, will probably have to do an overnight up there sometime. Would love to take a couple weeks and do a big circle on the powder highway, looks like an absolute blast. 

yup,  not been to banff either.  looks amazing,  Taos looks tough tho...groomers

I used to ski straight Olins. Comp SL... With a wood core. 210cm.  That was their slalom ski.  😆🤣😂... Even took 'em to Jackson Hole... 

HOLY MOLY did tech ever change in 40 years!!!!

Last pair of straights, circa 1990... Atomic Arcs... Turned them into a dog sled for my son's Boy Scout troop... Tore up the competition @ the Klondike Derby! 😆  These flatlanders here never seen anything like those Arcs... 😆 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I used to ski straight Olins. Comp SL... With a wood core. 210cm.  That was their slalom ski.  😆🤣😂... Even took 'em to Jackson Hole... 

HOLY MOLY did tech ever change in 40 years!!!!

if your'e in the southeast,  great club, races, parties   cheap

https://www.facebook.com/NashvilleSkiClub/

• Like (+1) 1

For many years, I had a job out west with frequent last-minute schedule changes, so it was hard to plan vacation travel.  The one exception was the week between Christmas and New Year's when I knew I could get away.  Used that week to try out new places, usually with my significant other:  Snowbird, Breckenridge, Park City, Taos, Northstar, Whistler, Angel Fire, Heavenly Valley, Squaw Valley, Vail, Lake Louise, Sun Valley, Mammoth.  Lots of great memories - - loved leaving big city air pollution and getting up into the pristine mountains.

Favorite was probably Snowbird - - learned to ski there at the age of 27 while skipping classes for a week with some grad school buddies and was hooked.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Heavenly is pretty damn good.  //still have a long term sleeve shirt- with holes,  not going anywhere.  great deals if you're not a gambler.  Some random degenerate said to me in the elevator at 6 am     - oh.it's the ski team.   said random degenerate... my 205 rossi rocs are likely still hanging in an Aspen shop as art.  traded for the fattys (at the time)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.