Rumors swirling that Elam will be a scratch tonight for Norman. Trade coming?

Roundybout

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Yeah he’d be great for sure.  But there were several good options and we took the worst one.  A guy that looks like he’s not even worthy of a 4th rd pick. 

I’d really like to know who was banging the table the hardest for Elam.

Elam wouldn’t hurt so bad if we hit on a budding star elsewhere. Benford looks to be an NFL player but I don’t think he’ll be much more than a solid starter. The 49ers have drafted more busts than us but they have drafted more difference makers as well.

Sometimes you draft the fifth CB on the board and they end up being the best, sometimes they suck. That’s the draft.

Edited by FireChans
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Actually, per the Athletic, Elam was a consensus first round pick. 

Completely correct he was by most pundits and mocks a firm first-round pick and at worst an early second-round pick. Many mocks and rankings had him as the 3rd or 4th corner off the board and he went right there as the 4th corner taken. I really wish it could have worked out Elam is very athletic and played decent at times last season. I don't know if his confidence was shot or what but he has looked mostly bad this season. Cutting losses on him and taking a 4th round pick or something may be what they have to do. 

The bottomline is that most projections of the draft had Elam drafted between picks 18-35. 

27 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Actually, per the Athletic, Elam was a consensus first round pick. 

As was Malik Willis-  drafted in which round?  Thanks.  

13 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Elam wouldn’t hurt so bad if we hit on a budding star elsewhere. Benford looks to be an NFL player but I don’t think he’ll be much more than a solid starter. The 49ers have drafted more busts than us but they have drafted more difference makers as well.

Sometimes you draft the fifth CB on the board and they end up being the best, sometimes they suck. That’s the draft.

Yeah, I think this is implied. The more great players you hit on, the better your team.  

• Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, I think this is implied. The more great players you hit on, the better your team.  

It’s implied, but I don’t think you need to harp on this autopsy of the Elam pick. We all just kinda agreed Cody Ford sucked and let it go. 

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Ahh, anyone who pays attention to nfl drafts knows that QBs are special cases, often going higher or lower than predicted. 

What we do know is that a consensus of 82 draft experts had Elam at 30. So a pick at 23 wasn’t a crazy reach. 

But I do think that giving up a 4th to go up to get him was a mistake. Let the draft come to you. 

1 minute ago, pennstate10 said:

Ahh, anyone who pays attention to nfl drafts knows that QBs are special cases, often going higher or lower than predicted. 

What we do know is that a consensus of 82 draft experts had Elam at 30. So a pick at 23 wasn’t a crazy reach. 

But I do think that giving up a 4th to go up to get him was a mistake. Let the draft come to you. 

I'm rather glad we paid a 4th to go get Kincaid. All depends on the player.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

It’s implied, but I don’t think you need to harp on this autopsy of the Elam pick. We all just kinda agreed Cody Ford sucked and let it go. 

This is a thread about Elam.  

I just stated that I thought he was a reach when we drafted him and that I think he would’ve been drafted in rd 2 if we didn’t reach for him (maybe even slip to rd 3).  I haven’t stated this opinion since we drafted him.  

Others then disagreed with my opinion and we’re not going back and forth with our opinions.  This is what’s called a message boards. It’s what people do here.  That’s not harping.  

You know a thing or 2 about harping.  Spewing jibberish about Kincaid week in week out until we started using him more.  

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I just stated that I thought he was a reach when we drafted him and that I think he would’ve been drafted in rd 2 if we didn’t reach for him (maybe even slip to rd 3).  I haven’t stated this opinion since we drafted him.  

Others then disagreed with my opinion and we’re not going back and forth with our opinions.  This is what’s called a message boards. It’s what people do here.  That’s not harping.  

You know a thing or 2 about harping.  Spewing jibberish about Kincaid week in week out until we started using him more.  

Yeah and if we passed on Josh Allen we could have had him as a UDFA.

Your claims about where Elam would have been picked are simply silly.  You have no idea whatsoever if he would have gone with the very next pick or not. 

38 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I was right. We did need to use him more. That’s why I’m an oracle

28 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Yeah and if we passed on Josh Allen we could have had him as a UDFA.

Your claims about where Elam would have been picked are simply silly.  You have no idea whatsoever if he would have gone with the very next pick or not. 

My claim that “I think elam would’ve been a 2nd round pick if we didn’t draft him” is silly?  Lol.  

There are many analysts that didn’t see him as a first rd pick…..every mock draft that had him as a second round pick is silly?  It’s a prediction…..predictions are silly then.  So silly, that you shouldn’t waste your time calling them silly.  Because there are predictions everywhere on message boards.  

meanwhile-  the next CB off the board went in the 2nd round.  But I’m sure the nfl GMs got their hands on The Athletics consensus 1st rd pick list and would’ve thought better than to let him slip to rd 2.  

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

I was right. We did need to use him more. That’s why I’m an oracle

O

• Haha (+1) 1

I’m going out on a limb and guessing be doesn’t get moved. Dane Benford Lewis Elam Norman will sort out CB the rest of the year. 

I think keeping him is more about future contributions that current. It ain’t looking pretty, but McBeane has a history of not giving up on high draft pics (see Cody Ford) too quickly 

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

My claim that “I think elam would’ve been a 2nd round pick if we didn’t draft him” is silly?  Lol.  

There are many analysts that didn’t see him as a first rd pick…..every mock draft that had him as a second round pick is silly?  It’s a prediction…..predictions are silly then.  So silly, that you shouldn’t waste your time calling them silly.  Because there are predictions everywhere on message boards.  

meanwhile-  the next CB off the board went in the 2nd round.  But I’m sure the nfl GMs got their hands on The Athletics consensus 1st rd pick list and would’ve thought better than to let him slip to rd 2.  

O

It’s a prediction?

In the English language, what does the prefix “pre” signify?  

I will mow predict that the Chiefs would have been Super Bowl I champions if the Packers didn’t score any points.

Edited by 4merper4mer

7 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

It’s a prediction?

In the English language, what does the prefix “pre” signify?  

I will mow predict that the Chiefs would have been Super Bowl I champions if the Packers didn’t score any points.

Whichever alternate term you’d like to use is fine by me.  Doesn’t change anything.  I’m just stating my opinion.  I thought he was pretty crappy in his last year at Florida.  Didn’t look like a first rd pick to me.  I thought we reached and I don’t think he would’ve been a first rd pick if we didn’t draft jinx. 

I’m sorry that you think that’s silly.  

Edited by NewEra

On 10/26/2023 at 12:56 PM, Roundybout said:

Cover1 had it first, then saw this report that Josh Norman is gonna be activated tonight: 

https://x.com/thebillsguys/status/1717597828724531307?s=46&t=RLsRhQJBb5vROsgfJWkwSw

If it’s true you have to think that’s the end of Elam here. A colossal waste and I’m not really happy with how we handled him at all. 

There must be some kind of disconnect between Elam & the coaching . This staff  is considered very good at player development and last season in the Miami game people were celebrating how good he was doing only to go to where he is now something is weird . 

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Whichever alternate term you’d like to use is fine by me.  Doesn’t change anything.  I’m just stating my opinion.  I thought he was pretty crappy in his last year at Florida.  Didn’t look like a first rd pick to me.  I thought we reached and I don’t think he would’ve been a first rd pick if we didn’t draft jinx. 

I’m sorry that you think that’s silly.  

You’re right.  Stupid is a more accurate word.

9 minutes ago, T master said:

There must be some kind of disconnect between Elam & the coaching . This staff  is considered very good at player development and last season in the Miami game people were celebrating how good he was doing only to go to where he is now something is weird . 

He doesn’t even have any character red flags out of college.   By all accounts he’s a great person who works really hard. 

I completely agree though, that something happened/is happening behind the scenes, because weird Jags/London game aside, his play isn’t indicative of a guy who gets publicly embarrassed by being benched for Josh Norman. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.