Article on Josh Allen's state of mind

Drew21PA

9 hours ago, SD_Dog said:

Allen’s first quarter careless stare said it all and his play shows the results. The Second half come backs of the last three games he is a wide eyed focused QB. Keep the low positive BS on the sidelines.  

If Josh comes out with the 100 mile stare and starts with a couple 3 and out drives then put his ass on the bench for the rest of the quarter to get his attention.  That might get his full focus on the game and not this Jedi Mind Trick stuff. 

Nothing should be taken for granted and if you're not producing you're not playing.  Same as applies to every teammate.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Last Guy on the Bench said:

Idiotic take (not you, the article). Clearly Josh is working on the mental side of his game and always has been. But the idea that reflection, experimentation, trying to grow and evolve (which of course will come with ups and downs) is somehow weak or confused or unhelpful is absurd. Sure overthinking things can be a problem in any area of life, but if that's happening, continued reflection will help him see that too. The article could have been interesting; the topic is interesting. But it's such a knee-jerk and/or clickbait angle. 

Here is what concerns me, year 6 and he still hasn't figured it out.

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Only real disagreement I have is those playoff games were losing the defense is not playing like the #1 or #2 defense.

Great and accurate post.  You nailed it right there.  That's the point.  

If the primary thing that someone, McD in this particular case, brings, isn't apparent when it matters most, what's the point.  Everyone gets giddy about our #1/2 ranking unit that plays like the 32nd ranked unit at the most critical point.  

One has to at least begin questioning the wisdom of having someone that "specializes" in that area when it ultimately and regularly fails to assist the team in achieving it's ultimate goal.  

Which raises another point.  Some here have sincerely stated that they're quite content with simply having an "entertaining" regular season.  So it stands to reason when they say that they don't care about playoffs or a Lombardi.  I don't get it, but if that's their level of satisfaction, who are we to argue.  

No one cares about "culture" come playoff time.  Every team deep in the playoffs has a winning culture.  Nor every team has the coaching required to win it all.  We're one of 'em.  

But for the team, that is the goal, as they say so every year.  Getting back to the above, it should be obvious that McD is holding them back in that regard, not providing that "extra" that Super Bowl winning coaches typically bring.  

After seven seasons, waiting around to see whether a leopard is going to change it's spots doesn't seem like an odds-on strategy to me.  

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

R-E-L-A-X !

Oh, we're relaxed.  

A little too relaxed now.  

😁

19 hours ago, Roundybout said:

we get it, you hate Allen for some reason. you don’t have to keep posting the exact same thing over and over.

It's a weird hate too, not the usual "hate" like "I was wrong about him and now I look silly", but more like a hate breeding from jealousy(not something I usually think when I see people hating). It makes it even more uncomfortable.

3 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

If Josh comes out with the 100 mile stare and starts with a couple 3 and out drives then put his ass on the bench for the rest of the quarter to get his attention.  That might get his full focus on the game and not this Jedi Mind Trick stuff. 

Nothing should be taken for granted and if you're not producing you're not playing.  Same as applies to every teammate.

Seriously.  Jimbo wasn’t the brightest bulb either but he won on grit and toughness. Watching Josh talk in press conferences and after games has become cringeworthy.  Your game ain’t out-thinking the opponent. Do what you do best.  Sling it and run it when it’s there.  

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It's really hilarious the weird narratives that form because of what the broadcast footage doesn't show.

I used to be ceaselessly amused by the nonsense people came up with from 4 seconds of video but it's reached the point of being stupidly annoying. :(

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/25/2023 at 7:39 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

Interesting. And confirms some suspicions/issues I've been having.

For the first few years of his career, Josh was a dedicated, laser-focused work horse during each offseason. It seemed every year he would come back having worked on one specific area (footwork, upper body mechanics, etc) that really helped him dial in and show up with at least a 33% improvement in his game (which is huge).

By the end of 2021, he had his mechanics figured out and imo really only had one last hole in his game to address: his mindset.

After the 13s KC game, I thought he had enough inspiration to figure it out. He needs to be the fierce, almost angry competitor that we saw that the end of that KC game. It reminded me very much of how Brady plays every game. I was hoping he'd come into 2022 with a focused, killer mindset. And in the Rams opener, it kinda looked like he might have figured it out.

Unfortunately, by the Packers game it was apparent that mindset wouldnt stick, or was never really there to begin with.

And now, this new "low positive" sounds like the opposite of where I want him to be.

I love that Josh is a lovable goofball at heart, but I need a cold-blooded killer and fierce competitor.

I think he wants to obey McDermott. Who does not want to take undue chances of injury to Josh Allen. We all know this team is toast without him.  SO where is the balance between preserving your most valuable asset vs allowing he to play as his instincts tell him. Which is the OMG he is a BEAST Josh Allen.

For me it becomes a risk reward ratio. There are clearly pros and cons to each side of that "freeing Josh" vs a more conservative approach

What he needs to find is the perfect balance. And get time to do what he does best, make plays and great decisions.

easy right? lol

WE WISH 

Josh seems to be the incarnation of "momentum QB". When he is in rhythm, everything clicks, he plays loose, has fun, seems to see everything. If he and  the offense are not clicking, everything is a drag, he overthinks, blablabla. Now, of course ALL QBs are like this, but the so-called  "momentum QBs" a tad more. As usual with QBs, pressure them, make them uncomfortable in the pocket, and you beat them.

The thing is, Josh is good on the move. So first, they need to pick the blitzes better. They have been weak against it so far this year. Move the pocket on purpose, and have designed Josh "running to his right but passing" plays. With the usual misdirection plays, play action, sweeps, short passes mixed in. They were doing a great job of this weeks 2-3-4. 

Obviously the over-thinking and low key vibe is not helping in the first half, when things are more calm and scripted.  When Josh enters crisis mode in the 4th Qtr, when there is no time to think....he just plays the game on instincts and makes some great plays.

Remember when Allen participated in The Match, made for TV golf event?  I'll never forget this.  While watching Mahomes and Allen putt out, Brady was telling Rodgers that they need to plant some doubt into Josh Allen's head.  Rodgers made a little snide remark and told Brady, "don't worry about it, Josh will get into Josh's own head".  or something like that.  Rodgers knows.

7 hours ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

The article makes it appear that Josh is overthinking.

Simple solution: stop overthinking. Overthinking is harmful anyway.

Just play. Just do it. Let his arm do the talking.

AND his LEGS!!!  There’s a risk, but I feel the more he runs, better things happen.

After reading all the comments here and listening to the WGR morning show today where they discussed Josh and took some listener comments, I kind of feel like we're experiencing a football version of Talladega Nights.  Ricky Bobby, NASCAR driver, through a series of unique circumstances is transitioned from top professional driver to pizza delivery guy. 

In the case of the Bills, Josh Allen, highly effective and intense gunslinger QB running one of the league highest scoring and exciting offenses is transitioned by the HQ's timid ball control strategy into a boring and disinterested game manager.  Josh needs the football version of the speech the character Susan (played by Amy Adams) gave Ricky near the end of the movie.  Ricky needs to drive fast on the edge.  Josh needs to play QB fast on the edge.  Enough of this milking the clock stuff.  If you're going down, the go down swinging, not covering up and cowering in the corner pissing your pants afraid to make a mistake.

Part of the problem is the HC is under a delusion that if he plays ball control offense he can protect his defense.  But let's face the reality that if this defense is facing a QB that has a pulse and is still breathing and he gets the ball with a couple time outs and a few minutes on the clock you're defense isn't going to stop them anyway.  With 2 minutes left and the opponent with the ball the Bills need at least a 9 point lead.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.