Linebackers needed

Clearly, with the middle of the defense being decimated, it seems like a priority to get some linebacker talent in here asap, to keep the defense together otherwise this is becoming a monumental problem.

when your 200 lb vet safety is playing linebacker in a reg season game, there are personnel issues that aren’t getting solved by the current roster. 

so to all the maine sux, easily replaced… here we are. Now what?

We need a linebacker or two. Any thoughts or ideas? 

obvi Kirksey hanging it up stinks, he’d help. 

• Disagree 1

Who

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

They had a plan to replace Edmunds and it seemed to be working …It’s now Milano they are struggling to replace …

Add him to the list …

It did till it didn’t. I had a sneaking suspicion Belichick would expose this safety sized  linebacker thing. I heard a talking head suggest a huge number of pats completions attacked the LBs and nickel with wild success 

Oh and Dorian was benched 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Who

It did till it didn’t. I had a sneaking suspicion Belichick would expose this safety sized  linebacker thing. I heard a talking head suggest a huge number of pats completions attacked the LBs and nickel with wild success 

Oh and Dorian was benched 

None of that changes what I said ..

46 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Clearly, with the middle of the defense being decimated, it seems like a priority to get some linebacker talent in here asap, to keep the defense together otherwise this is becoming a monumental problem.

when your 200 lb vet safety is playing linebacker in a reg season game, there are personnel issues that aren’t getting solved by the current roster. 

so to all the maine sux, easily replaced… here we are. Now what?

We need a linebacker or two. Any thoughts or ideas? 

obvi Kirksey hanging it up stinks, he’d help. 

Maine and Kirksey are MLB's. Bernard isn't the problem back there. It's Dorian Williams and Tyrel Dodson at OLB that's the real problem. Neither Maine nor Kirksey are fixing that.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. Good luck finding any linebacker who can hold up when guards are getting to him untouched consistently. The defensive tackle play Sunday was as bad as you will see anywhere.

Yes if they can find suitable 1T come the trade deadline they should jump on it. Our LBs will be better as a result. I am less worried about the linebacking group which I think you can get by with. DT and CB on defense and WR on offense are the positions I would be focusing on.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. Good luck finding any linebacker who can hold up when guards are getting to him untouched consistently. The defensive tackle play Sunday was as bad as you will see anywhere.

Down to back ups there too. It was stated somewhere Tampa has an excellent o line, so more to come? 

4 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Disagree, Bernard has been great and Williams has shown promise, Settle, Phillips, and Ford just cannot get it done in the middle at 1T (other than just spelling someone) which is causing major issues. 

I don't like the benching of Williams. Let him play through the mistakes because his talent and ability to make splash plays far out weights whatever Dodson brings to the table.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I don't like the benching of Williams. Let him play through the mistakes because his talent and ability to make splash plays far out weights whatever Dodson brings to the table.

It sucks, but it makes sense. The healthy DTs in that game struggled badly, letting OL get to the LBers to neutralize them. Dodson is better at disengaging and is further along in the mental game. 

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Have those guys been bad all year?  They're a part of the rotation and don't remember them being this bad when Oliver and Jones were healthy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.