Realistic Trade Prediction: Levi Wallace

BillsFanForever19

There's been so many "Trade for this guy" posts being made lately. And while it's fun to think of a Davante Adams, Derrick Henry, or Saquan Barkley on the team - it's very unrealistic.

With the amount of available cap space we have right now, next offseason, and the amount of FA's we have to re-sign or replace, Beane's not going to spend a lot of money AND give up prime Draft picks. We can argue over whether that's wise or not. But it doesn't change the fact that it's simply not how Beane operates.

Which led me to thinking, knowing their MO - who would be the most realistic Trade option for this team? And to me, like it or not, it's clearly Levi Wallace.

We're thin at CB. McDermott (for whatever reason) seems to believe that it's impossible for a new player to come on to this team and get his Defense down. Time and again, if we make a move on Defense, it's for someone who's been here before.

Last season, when we needed help, we traded for Dean Marlowe and brought back A.J. Klein. This season with everyone available to us we chose to bring back... Josh Norman. 

Levi was moved on from because we wanted to get better on the opposite side of Tre White. But with Tre going down and Kaiir Elam downright unplayable, I envision them turning back to Levi to provide, at least, another CB to the rotation of Dane and Kaiir. 

Taking into account how he's performed in Pittsburgh, Joey Porter Jr. starting to come into his own, and what he's paid, the cost would be in the area that Beane would feel comfortable and I'd bet McDermott would welcome his return, given the situation.

I'm sure this will be met with vomit emoji's and eyerolls. But when it comes to how they operate and where we need help, I expect this will be a move they'd want to make. Again... like it or not.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

There's been so many "Trade for this guy" posts being made lately. And while it's fun to think of a Davante Adams, Derrick Henry, or Saquan Barkley on the team - it's very unrealistic.

With the amount of available cap space we have right now, next offseason, and the amount of FA's we have to re-sign or replace, Beane's not going to spend a lot of money AND give up prime Draft picks. We can argue over whether that's wise or not. But it doesn't change the fact that it's simply not how Beane operates.

Which led me to thinking, knowing their MO - who would be the most realistic Trade option for this team? And to me, like it or not, it's clearly Levi Wallace.

We're thin at CB. McDermott (for whatever reason) seems to believe that it's impossible for a new player to come on to this team and get his Defense down. Time and again, if we make a move on Defense, it's for someone who's been here before.

Last season, when we needed help, we traded for Dean Marlowe and brought back A.J. Klein. This season with everyone available to us we chose to bring back... Josh Norman. 

Levi was moved on from because we wanted to get better on the opposite side of Tre White. But with Tre going down and Kaiir Elam downright unplayable, I envision them turning back to Levi to provide, at least, another CB to the rotation of Dane and Kaiir. 

Taking into account how he's performed in Pittsburgh and what he's paid, the cost would be close to nothing. 

I'm sure this will be met with vomit emoji's and eyerolls. But when it comes to how they operate and where we need help, I expect this will be a move they'd want to make. Again... like it or not.

The Steelers won again yesterday and are a 1/2 game out of first in their division at 4-2. Why would they be sellers and trade a guy who got 72% of their defensive snaps? Why are the Bills more natural buyers than them?

4 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

The Steelers won again yesterday and are a 1/2 game out of first in their division at 4-2. Why would they be sellers and trade a guy who got 72% of their defensive snaps? Why are the Bills more natural buyers than them?

They've been ramping up Joey Porter Jr. to take over that spot. And although Wallace started yesterday, Porter received more snaps than him yesterday for the first time.

Fans in Pittsburgh are starting to turn on Wallace (much like we did). If they feel their 4th CB can take on the role of 3rd, he may be expendable to them with Patrick Peterson and Joey Porter Jr. as starters.

https://stillcurtain.com/posts/steelers-levi-wallace-shows-why-most-unplayable-cornerback-in-nfl-01hdcmdtj3z5

3 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

We did but he's better than Dane Jackson who has regressed. Toss in no Tre White we've got questions on both outside CBs.

If he has his nose in front of Jackson then it’s a photo finish….… The Steelers fans don’t rate him….

If they want to bring him in for a swap  of 2025 Day 3 picks. then so be it … I don’t expect it to be a needle mover ..

Edited by Aussie Joe

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

If he has his nose in front of Jackson then it’s a photo finish….… The Steelers fans don’t rate him….

If they want to bring him in for a swap  of 2025 Day 3 picks. then so be it … I don’t expect it to be a needle mover ..

Levi isn't great but better than what think have now plus he'd be a plug and play since already knows system. Is he my top move? No as that be adding Bourne. 

I think Benford and Jackson are just as good or better.

CB trade isn’t even on my radar. Safety falls somewhere between meh and maybe? But adding another guy that’s about the same player as the guys we already have in house just doesn’t feel like something we need to move assets for. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think Benford and Jackson are just as good or better.

CB trade isn’t even on my radar. Safety falls somewhere between meh and maybe? But adding another guy that’s about the same player as the guys we already have in house just doesn’t feel like something we need to move assets for. 

7 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

He's not an upgrade from Benford or Jackson 

May not be an upgrade, but we're 1 injury away from a guy we don't want to even put on the field.

And if that happens, we're putting who in when Benford and Elam need a breather? Ja'Marcus Ingram? Josh Norman?

And with a rotation we can rely on, we can keep Benford and Jackson fresh. Jackson hasn't been performing at a real high level either. If Wallace isn't an upgrade, it's at least another CB at around the same level as him.

Not every move is made as an upgrade or replacement over Starters. And we tend to make more moves as insurance and depth than we do those kind of moves.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Doesn’t make us better in the starting lineup. Helps depth.

I don't even think he is better than Elam from what I have seen as his total body of work. Sure he didn't look great covering Ridley in his first game action in months but I don't think a lot of corners look good covering Ridley.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.