If the Bills Don’t Make it to the AFCCG, Should McDermott Be Fired?

Gugny

378 members have voted

1. 1. If the Bills Don’t Make it to the AFCCG, Should McDermott Be Fired?

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Lol

Broncos fans would know they fired John Fox after 4 straight division titles and early playoff exits, then hired Kubiak who won the Super Bowl the very next year

Wouldn’t have anything to do with a guy named Manning?  And ask them how they like Payton, who as I recall many here wanted to fire McD for.

3 hours ago, Simon said:

Mike McCarthy's intelligence and courage both resemble that of a chicken.

McDermott's do not.

I think that's largely due to personal preference tbh

Myself I do not find McDermott a particularly compelling intellectual figure nor do his words or actions lead me to believe he is more courageous than your average but that's just me

I was more talking about their respective career arcs and results

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

he could be like Dick LeBeau.  great DC, not there as a HC.  that’s not a bad thing, some people have diff talents.  if I’m McD I give Dorsey one more game, if we still look lost, Brady calls the plays.  off-season look for the best OC available.  

The argument here is Dorsey lost or is he just not capable of scheming an Offense for a QB who doesn't watch much film and seems at his best off script. 

Josh is a great QB but standard X's and O's I do not think is where he shines. Dorsey might be a great OC if he had a QB who could read the D pre-snap at a higher level. 

I love Allen and want his to coninue to be successful here.... Is there an OC out there that does best with a QB who does his best off script. I believe they're out there, unfortunately I don't know who they are, but that itself would be a interesting conversation.

I will say there is less that 1% chance Dorsey gets replaced this season. Just to late to draw up a new offense and teach it to the team

15 hours ago, Gugny said:

I’m not in the Super Bowl or Bust crowd, but I am frustrated with what feels like Josh Allen’s prime years being wasted. 

The question posed is assuming Allen starts/plays every game this season. 

My vote is yes. 

Maybe Josh Allen needs to stop wasting his prime and start winning some championships…. he’s got plenty more to contribute as the team’s highest paid player

I vote yes, but with a caveat.

If the 2024 Bills are the 2001 Bucs that fired Tony Dungy for Jon Gruden, they only fire McDermott if they've got a real plan with someone "better" in mind that they *firmly* believe takes this team from very good to great.  I, as a fan, don't have a ready answer to who that person could be at the moment.

You don't fire McDermott in a fit like the Bills did with Wade Phillips out of some desire to have a fresh start.  

Bottom line:  Both the Pegulas and the fans do not spend their money on the Bills because we're content with winning AFC East titles.   We also shouldn't have misplaced reverence for the Steeler or Ravens "way" either, hanging onto  "once great but now mostly good" coaches for 20 years to get that one SB ring.

Edited by dpberr

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Wouldn’t have anything to do with a guy named Manning?  And ask them how they like Payton, who as I recall many here wanted to fire McD for.

Manning could barely move during the Super Bowl run and had nearly nothing to do with them winning. 

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Not necessarily fired but he should be demoted in the sense that his is no longer in charge of the draft.

I know that most folks believe that he is not in charge but his first season here (before the arrival of Beane) was a clear indicator that he was/is and looking at his early round picks, nothing has changed.

Hey, jmo.

He was in charge of the 2017 draft. He has not been in charge of the draft since. You can think the opposite if you like, but you are wrong. Does he have a big influence, yes because he and Brandon trust each other implicitly and are absolutely aligned. But because he trusts Brandon implicitly he lets Beane run personnel. 

• Eyeroll 1

10 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Manning could barely move during the Super Bowl run and had nearly nothing to do with them winning. 

True.  But he helped get them there.

1 hour ago, Process said:

Ben Johnson would be a home run hire. Have to think Buffalo would be a desirable spot for him as well.

Great OC.  But will he be a great HC.  The NFL is littered with good coordinators that didn’t turn out to be good head coaches.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

And when one does, and then hire a former SB winner, they are seeing right now how that works out.

So your Broncos comparison is a situation not at all like the Bills current situation, but the very relevant Broncos comparison I gave you is ignored 

Well done

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He was in charge of the 2017 draft. He has not been in charge of the draft since. You can think the opposite if you like, but you are wrong. Does he have a big influence, yes because he and Brandon trust each other implicitly and are absolutely aligned. But because he trusts Brandon implicitly he lets Beane run personnel. 

I really do admire most of your takes about the Bills and football in general but I am not wrong just because you declare that I am.

After McDermott traded away the pick for Mahomes (being WAY undercompensated for moving down 17 spots), he of course used the first round pick on a corner to play in a zone. This in a QB driven league on a team with almost 2 decades of QB issues.

After this, most of his early picks were on the defensive side and he even traded up for another 1st round corner to play in a zone. He also gave huge extentions to defensive players and I'm quite certain that you know all of this. meanwhile we have Diggs at WR and who else? Of course there are also OL issues.

Disagreement is great but correcting someone as if you are a strict teacher isn't so great. Unless you were/are in the war room listening to Beane and McDermott, what you post on this issue is just like what I post.....an OPINION.  Did you catch the "jmo" after my post?

Just now, GoBills808 said:

So your Broncos comparison is a situation not at all like the Bills current situation, but the very relevant Broncos comparison I gave you is ignored 

Well done

Your described situation is like Gruden and Dungy in Tampa Bay.  It can happen.  I would argue the idea that firing a guy and assuming the replacement will be better, only to find out he isn’t, is more common.

A better poll question would be "how many years should Sean McDermott remain as the Bills head coach, if he never gets to a Super Bowl"

6 years, 2023 - Josh Allen is 27 

7 years, 2024 - Josh Allen is 28

8 years, 2025 - Josh Allen is 29

9 years, 2026- Josh Allen is 30

10 years, 2027 - Josh Allen is 31

11 years, 2028 - Josh Allen is 32 (final year of current contract)
16 years - 2033 Josh Allen is 38 

22 years - 2039 Jos Allen is 44

23 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I really do admire most of your takes about the Bills and football in general but I am not wrong just because you declare that I am.

After McDermott traded away the pick for Mahomes (being WAY undercompensated for moving down 17 spots), he of course used the first round pick on a corner to play in a zone. This in a QB driven league on a team with almost 2 decades of QB issues.

After this, most of his early picks were on the defensive side and he even traded up for another 1st round corner to play in a zone. He also gave huge extentions to defensive players and I'm quite certain that you know all of this. meanwhile we have Diggs at WR and who else? Of course there are also OL issues.

Disagreement is great but correcting someone as if you are a strict teacher isn't so great. Unless you were/are in the war room listening to Beane and McDermott, what you post on this issue is just like what I post.....an OPINION.  Did you catch the "jmo" after my post?

I haven't been in that war room but I have spoken to two separate people who have been in that building and have been in those rooms and have heard those conversations. Brandon Beane runs personnel. Of course he has input from Sean because they are basically joined at the hip. But the idea he is a puppet GM just picking who McDermott tells him to is just wrong. That is not how the building is run. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I haven't been in that war room but I have spoken to two separate people who have been in that building and have been in those rooms and have heard those conversations. Brandon Beane runs personnel. Of course he has input from Sean because they are basically joined at the hip. But the idea he is a puppet GM just picking who McDermott tells him to is just wrong. That is not how the building is run. 

Are you sure Beane had even been hired when the pick used on Mahome was traded away? 

Every season the Bills go through a rough patch and the sky is falling types come out of the shadows with these type of pronouncements.  It is a long season.   Injuries happen.   Players excel or wilt.  Coaches make bad calls.  At the end all you want is to make it into the play offs.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.