Unleash Josh Allen...stop trying to change him

Alphadawg7

47 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You mean the offense that was also one of the most productive...more productive actually...before Dorsey.

Just curious, by what criteria the offense was more productive "before Dorsey"?

Per game stats, which is 2021 and which is 2022?

PPG 28.4 28.4
YPG 397.6 381.9
TD 3.13 3.30
rush ypa 5.2 4.8
pass ypa 6.8 6.3

• Thank you (+1) 1

As it stands, Josh almost sustained serious shoulder injuries from pocket pressure, why would we encourage QB running. What we need is the OC to make the rushers a real consistent part of the offense,sprinkling in some short crossers with Knox and Kincaid, with Sherfield and Harty getting 5 targets combined. That’s a multidimensional offense with an occasional sliding Josh for short yardage 1st downs.

Just now, Eastport bills said:

Josh almost sustained serious shoulder injuries from pocket pressure

Why do people think the best way for QBs to avoid injury is to stand in a pocket behind an inconsistent/crappy online and get crushed several times a game. 

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

Why do people think the best way for QBs to avoid injury is to stand in a pocket behind an inconsistent/crappy online and get crushed several times a game. 

Our O -line has not been bad this year. Josh just likes to hold the ball and make throws as he’s flushed. Our new guards are above average and the tackles are average. About league average quality.

Just now, Eastport bills said:

Our O -line has not been bad this year. Josh just likes to hold the ball and make throws as he’s flushed. Our new guards are above average and the tackles are average. About league average quality.

Why were the Giants instantly in the backfield over and over again last night? Did they not get the memo, that the Bills were above average?

To address the OP's point, I say there needs to be a happy medium.

I'd be happy with a situation where Josh takes off running again more (still sliding where needed) on passing plays where nobody gets open in time, but to keep all of the designed Josh runs out of the play book. I feel like this would fill the current void in their rhythm.

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

Watch the ALL-22 and you will find this to be not as accurate as you would hope.

Are there plays where they get separation? Sure. Is it common? No.

My hypothesis is that this happens because Diggs is the only receiver Allen trusts to get separation. 

Diggs got little to no separation on many of those passes.

Josh can't go back to being a one check rookie...

6 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

There has to be some happy medium between reckless Josh and tame Josh, and that's what HE needs to find.

See, now that's a play where he should run.

If all the receivers are blanketed, he can REALLY punish a defense with his legs. Whoever's telling him NOT to do that is wrong.

I agree....it's finding that perfect combination of reckless and conservative that still allows Josh to be the superstar he is. Go too far reckless and it's a loss. Go way too conservative (take what they give you) and you lose 100% of his athleticism. Finding that middle ground will be his challenge for the rest of his career.  Right now because of incredibly poor playcalling by KD and a struggling OL, Josh is a more castrated check down version. 

2 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Could it be that Josh has the utmost confidence that Diggs WILL make the play for him? Not be a drive killer. That's what I'm starting to wonder. Kinda like Mahomes and Kelce

See above.  If so, Josh needs to fix his thinking.

Diggs, despite only playing 1 more game than Kelce this year, already has 20 more targets than he does.  Mahomes isn't leaning on Kelce like Josh is Diggs

32 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I think we have a better than average line but haven't watched that many other teams.  They're opening holes we didn't have last year.

52 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Just curious, by what criteria the offense was more productive "before Dorsey"?

Per game stats, which is 2021 and which is 2022?

PPG 28.4 28.4
YPG 397.6 381.9
TD 3.13 3.30
rush ypa 5.2 4.8
pass ypa 6.8 6.3

Again, I said the Bills were the highest scoring team over the 2 year period in the NFL prior to Dorsey arriving.  You are comparing something different here that I didn't say.  From 2020-2021 the Bills scored the most points in the NFL which were Allens first 2 years as an elite QB and the last 2 years Daboll was here.  

38 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Why were the Giants instantly in the backfield over and over again last night? Did they not get the memo, that the Bills were above average?

Wink Martindale mixed up the pressure packages and Lawrence is really good., but Josh bails when he senses pressure because he makes big plays on the run to his right. The 1st half they abandoned the run and Wink pressured him into some erratic throws. If you disagree about the quality of the O-line just say so.Did you think they sucked against the Dolphins or Vegas or Washington?

• Vomit 1

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Making plays outside the pocket is what Josh does. He doesn’t “stand” in the pocket. You fail to realize, this O-line is what we will be going to war with. The pressure is neutralized by protection packages, like two TEs or keeping a back in on the side of an O-lineman is getting abused. My problem was with excessive hits he absorbed running QB draws  and RPOs with him taking on LBs.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Again, I said the Bills were the highest scoring team over the 2 year period in the NFL prior to Dorsey arriving.  You are comparing something different here that I didn't say.  From 2020-2021 the Bills scored the most points in the NFL which were Allens first 2 years as an elite QB and the last 2 years Daboll was here.  

The post to which I'm responding, you made the statement that the Bills offense was one of the most productive, more productive actually, before Dorsey.

Since you can't pull 2 full years of Dorsey yet, it seems reasonable to look at 2021 (Daboll's last year) and 2022 (Dorsey's first year) and compare - no?

Or how else are you comparing, to be able to make that statement, since (again) you don't have 2 full seasons of Dorsey to compare?

15 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson said:

Josh never get hurt when he's running. Watch him get a major injury if he stays in the pocket all the time.

False.  Josh has gotten hurt when he's running.

He's also gotten hurt outside the pocket, but  behind the LOS, trying to extend the play.

Edited by Beck Water

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.