What do you think is the dumbest rule in any sport

LabattBlue

Most rules are made/changed/more-closely-enforced so the the product is improved or protected. They have to keep the game interesting so people will watch. Passing is fun to watch, so the NFL wants to remind the DBs (this means you Ty Law) that you're not supposed to touch the receiver after 5 yards. It's not much fun to watch a guy step up to the plate against major league pitching since the last real pitch he saw was in high-school, so hey, let's have someone bat for him.

I agree with AD that the two pass rule in hockey should probably be eliminated. The instigator rule walks a fine line as was pointed out. The NHL wants to reduce the fighting, but it has the undesired consequences of increasing the clutching/grabbing that effectively makes the game boring. That's not good. Right now, hockey is in a bad situation. The lockout is looming and no one really seems to care.

These things evolve. The front-office types will always try to tweak the product to make it better or to insure they keep the interest of the fan from wandering.

I'd like to see the NBA do something to change the game so that it is more team oriented. Maybe a switch to the international rules would do it. They've made all these changes over the years to promote the stars of the game (3-step travelling rule to make them look better, 6 fouls to keep them in the game), but it's boring basketball. These are some of the best athletes in the world and they've got six guys standing outside the arc so that four other guys can play 2-on-2.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pass Interference should be like roughing the kicker. If it is minor and not intentional and just may have disrupted the route, it should be five yards. If it is intentional, and harsh, and clearly stopped a receiver from catching a ball he likely would have caught, it should be spot of the foul. They have two roughing the kicker calls (okay, wiseguys, one is running into the kicker), they should have two PI calls.

College B-ball three pointers shouldn't be 19'.

Red lines should be eliminated in hockey.

Id like to get rid of the rule that states an unconcious guy laying out of bounds with his big toe touching the ball has possession of the ball. I think there is a sub-section of this rule that states it is only in effect when it benefits the NE Patriots.

RunTheBall

2 line pass in hockey.  Want to eliminate the neutral zone trap?  Get rid of the red line.

I'd say the offsides rule in soccer, but soccer would still suck if they eliminated it.

26323[/snapback]

yes yes..nothing like a sweet pass whistled dead b/c the D-man was 3 inches inside of the blue line and the forward was three icnhes over the center Red Line...Awful..Touch up icing also sucks

The Illegal Formation rule in football. You should be allowed to line your team up any way you like, as long as they're onsides. If they want to line the whole team up to the right of the center, or have all the receivers 5 yards off the line, so what. It's a petty rule.

Pass Interference should be like roughing the kicker. If it is minor and not intentional and just may have disrupted the route, it should be five yards. If it is intentional, and harsh, and clearly stopped a receiver from catching a ball he likely would have caught, it should be spot of the foul. They have two roughing the kicker calls (okay, wiseguys, one is running into the kicker), they should have two PI calls. 

College B-ball three pointers shouldn't be 19'.

Red lines should be eliminated in hockey.

26704[/snapback]

No way do I want to give the zebras anything else to interpret.

The Illegal Formation rule in football.  You should be allowed to line your team up any way you like, as long as they're onsides.  If they want to line the whole team up to the right of the center, or have all the receivers 5 yards off the line, so what. It's a petty rule.

26801[/snapback]

Except it's not a petty rule. It has everything to do with who is eligible to run a pass route and who isn't.

With out a DOUBT, pass interference!

Let them fight for the damn ball!

Fine, a CB is literally riding the WR like a horse. Does that deserve a spot of the foul penalty?

So, the QB can see a WR getting mugged, simply throw the ball at his feet and get a 50 yard penalty resulting in a HUGE gain? B.S.!!!!!

First of all, why does ANY football player deserve to go down field un freakin touched? This IS a contact sport!

Secondly, What gaurantees that the WR will actually CATCH the ball anyways? They drop all KINDS of balls!

Thirdly, Who says the pass is on target? QB's throw off target all the time.

Finally, penalize a standard yardage for each infraction. Why is a 50 yard pass interference worth more than a 2 yard pass interference? Whats to say the 2 yards throw wouldnt be caught and run for 50 yards? Holding penalties count a straight amoutn whether it would have resulted in a loss of yards on the run or a TD.

26298[/snapback]

From the opposite perspective, not necessarily mine though, one can make a strong arguement that there has to be a sliding scale on the length of the penalty for pass interference. If there wasn't, what would stop a beaten DB from simply going right after the WR and flattening him so he can't catch a 50 yard bomb? If the penalty was only 10 yards, just think of how many times the DB would not give the ball a second thought.

making women beach volleyball players wear clothes.

26928[/snapback]

Aw, what's wrong with a little mystery. And don't they need a little something to keep the sand out of...well...uh hum....what if you had a shot at getting one drunk after the match?

i dont like holding in football,i say let em battle it out on the line.i also dont like pass interference.even if you mug the receiver i have no problem with that.i say let them battle for the ball.on a 40 yard bomb if the defender gets there and knocks the receiver down...so be it!boy that would be really fun to watch! go bills in'04

no thats a good one, it forces pitchers to use up thier arm strength(no matter how minor it may be) rather than let them prolong thier outing, if they are gonna bail out on pitching to a barry bonds then by god make them use up some energy doing it.

Four pitches for an intentional walk is assinine IMHO.  Just say...."Put him on"

26252[/snapback]

Good One, I too hate that one! Knock on wood I have never had to be PENAL-ized but it has been close.

This is an easy one.

The "Dick-Out" rule.  You know in golf when your playing from the Men's tees.  You get the big dog out, step up to the tee box, take a hack like Tiger, and sure as stevestojan........your ball goes 20 yds and doesn't make it past the women's tee. 

This is where the "Dick Out" rule comes into play.  Section IV, rule 36B, paragraph 3.  When any male playing from the white tees fails to hit his drive farther than the ladies tee box, he must finish the hole with his dick out. 

Fortunately I have never had to do this myself, although many of my golf partners have.  :doh:

26547[/snapback]

This is an easy one.

The "Dick-Out" rule.  You know in golf when your playing from the Men's tees.  You get the big dog out, step up to the tee box, take a hack like Tiger, and sure as stevestojan........your ball goes 20 yds and doesn't make it past the women's tee. 

This is where the "Dick Out" rule comes into play.  Section IV, rule 36B, paragraph 3.  When any male playing from the white tees fails to hit his drive farther than the ladies tee box, he must finish the hole with his dick out. 

Fortunately I have never had to do this myself, although many of my golf partners have.  ;)

26547[/snapback]

not sure partners was the best choice of words there :doh:

I meant to post this yesterday. Hopefully it doesn't just sound like sour grapes now but:

A receiver is pushed out of bounds before he lands, but the pass is ruled complete if he "would have" come down inbounds had the defender not pushed him out. HELLO?!?!?! As long as you dont hit the guy before he touches the ball, thats called playing defense. If he comes down out of bounds, he should be ruled out of bounds.

Yeah, nothing better than ridiculously obese sweaty men wearing only  :doh: thongs (and who actually have other people wipe their ass because they can't)  running into each other after throwing salt in the air.  What's not to like about that?  :lol:

26348[/snapback]

:D

Well, for me the Shinto trappings (like the salt and the mawashi and the fun little dance that the Yokozuna does :) ) are not particularly relevant. That's not what I'm looking at. As a student and teacher of Japanese martial arts I am intrigued by the techniques used by these big, strong fighters. It isn't always easy to see the techniques hidden under all the fat, but believe me, they are highly skilled. Personally I am built like the antithesis of a rikishi, but I try to watch and learn from skilled fighters wherever I may find them.

:)

Well, for me the Shinto trappings (like the salt and the mawashi and the fun little dance that the Yokozuna does  :doh: ) are not particularly relevant. That's not what I'm looking at. As a student and teacher of Japanese martial arts I am intrigued by the techniques used by these big, strong fighters. It isn't always easy to see the techniques hidden under all the fat, but believe me, they are highly skilled. Personally I am built like the antithesis of a rikishi, but I try to watch and learn from skilled fighters wherever I may find them.

29562[/snapback]

There is something to be found in each sport, I don't disagree with that. I don't think anyone that can lift 400 pounds off the ground (even if it is one's own fat ass) can be considered weak. :lol:

What is your specialty? I've been contemplating taking Wing tzun from a master here...

With out a DOUBT, pass interference!

Let them fight for the damn ball!

Fine, a CB is literally riding the WR like a horse. Does that deserve a spot of the foul penalty?

So, the QB can see a WR getting mugged, simply throw the ball at his feet and get a 50 yard penalty resulting in a HUGE gain? B.S.!!!!!

First of all, why does ANY football player deserve to go down field un freakin touched? This IS a contact sport!

Secondly, What gaurantees that the WR will actually CATCH the ball anyways? They drop all KINDS of balls!

Thirdly, Who says the pass is on target? QB's throw off target all the time.

Finally, penalize a standard yardage for each infraction. Why is a 50 yard pass interference worth more than a 2 yard pass interference? Whats to say the 2 yards throw wouldnt be caught and run for 50 yards? Holding penalties count a straight amoutn whether it would have resulted in a loss of yards on the run or a TD.

26298[/snapback]

why is Offensive pass interference, only a 10 yard penalty?? i mean most of the time the defensive player would have intersepted the ball. and they take the interference call to prevent the turn over. it should be 15 and loss of down.

and cliping should be an ejectable offense in some cases. i saw one play (it was called a penalty), where a O-Lineman got beat, and ran after the DE, and dove at his legs. just intentionaly cut this guy to protect the QB. the DE had to be carried out off the field. (may have been the colts game) that O-Lineman should have been ejected and fined. insted its just 15 yards, and the D is out a player (maybe for the season).

Nothing against our Japanese friends, but I know you spent some time there. Folks think Bills fans get crazy. That has got to be the biggest reaction to the most amazingly strange sport in the world...except possibly the Canadian fascination with Curling.

26357[/snapback]

Last Spring I went to the Osaka grand Sumo tournament. That was my first time to see it live. It was a lot of fun. Great food, great beer, great action. What's not to like? :)

And btw, although somewhat odd to outsiders, there is no way in hell Sumo can compete in strangeness with this :doh:

Last Spring I went to the Osaka grand Sumo tournament. That was my first time to see it live. It was a lot of fun. Great food, great beer, great action. What's not to like? :doh:

And btw, although somewhat odd to outsiders, there is no way in hell Sumo can compete in strangeness with this :doh:

29598[/snapback]

I am pokin' 'em for sure.

:D:flirt::flirt:

after that "sport" i dont think hes "pokin" anything... :):lol:

Last Spring I went to the Osaka grand Sumo tournament. That was my first time to see it live. It was a lot of fun. Great food, great beer, great action. What's not to like? :D

And btw, although somewhat odd to outsiders, there is no way in hell Sumo can compete in strangeness with this :)

29598[/snapback]

........ :lol::doh: ........... This is a sick world. Maybe this should be included as an olympic sport?

I'd hafta say the worst rule is almost anything the NCAA makes up...one of the worst sports governing bodies in all od sports...and 2 things come to mind

1. a buncha of jackasses and computer nerds decide that this team shoudl play that team for the title, even though 3 other teams are just as good

2. pre-season rankings...just because a team was good last year means the same this year?...colleges lose players all the time...hold off on rankings until after about a month...this way when a team ranked 20 goes 11-0, then are ranked high, and not hafta wait until some other team loses to move up...

this goes hand in hand with a college football loss counting for more at the end of the season than the beginning...my noles lost to miami friday...chances are if we run the table and go 11-1, we'll have a good shot at the title game...but if we started 11-0, and lost our last game of the season, we'd be completely out of contention for any title shot whatsoever...

GET A FUGGIN PLAYOFF SYSTEM NCAAF!!!!!!!

That the loser in a one on one game of basketball has to play the rematch "buck naked"....now that rule has to go....P.S. I would like to thank stevestojan for teaching me the rules of 1 on 1 basketball.....you were real helpful :D

Sincerely, Jerry Sullivan

Dumbest rule is when the QB hits the WR right in the numbers and the WR drops it so the rule applies it is an INCOMPLETION for the QB.  The QB did his job.  It should be an incompletion for the WR.

31223[/snapback]

The other side of the fence is...what about when the QB makes a crappy throw that should have no business being caught, but the WR makes a highlight reel catch???