Allen designed running and scrambling…

LabattBlue

It should be made clear to Allen that running is an important part of his game and needs to continue.  At the same time, it should be made clear to him unless the game is on the line, he needs to avoid getting hit as much as possible.  

Either the coaches, Allen or both are making a mess of this, and it needs to be fixed.  

Allen without the running part of his game, makes him a lesser QB.  

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

• LabattBlue changed the title to Allen designed running and scrambling…
5 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

It should be made clear to Allen that running is an important part of his game and needs to continue.  At the same time, it should be made clear to him unless the game is on the line, he needs to avoid getting hit as much as possible.  

Either the coaches, Allen or both are making a mess of this, and it needs to be fixed.  

I agree with the bolded. However, until Allen can do what even he admits he needs to do to protect himself physically, they need to pump the breaks on him running by design. And it's not just for the physical well being.

How many times in the last few years have we seen him try and absorb a shot to fight for an extra yard or two and lose the ball? Turnovers have and will cost this team.

I get it. It's awesome to sit home and watch our actual buffalo of a QB plow guys over. Win Angry Runs awards. The media hype and pleasure many get from the media types replaying the "ohhhhhhh" moments he provides. But it all comes at a cost because his situational awareness is sometimes paused and it hurts the team. 

• Agree 2

I have no problem with designed QB runs. They are highly effective.  No issue if they call them.  Many times they result in a TD.

Just be smart at the end of any run be it by design or a scramble.  Get down or go out of bounds. Learn to live and come back next down.

Josh has had two elbow injuries and both were in the pocket.  Not running is not the correct answer. Running smart and not stupid is the right answer.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

• Eyeroll 1

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.  

:D 

you can’t call the runs if he acts like he did in the first quarter. If he sneaks out of bounds for the first, and gets down on third and a mile… I think the game flow might’ve been very different (more runs planned and improv, instead of heaving a few of those… and possibky more comfortable on the fumble)

I think it’s best to just acknowledge that Allen isn’t going to suddenly change who he is 6 seasons into his career.  Let him stop worrying about it and just do what he does.  Yes, it will probably shorten his career, but it is what it is.  His willingness to take one in order to give one is part of what makes him effective.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

You saw McDermott pointing to his head as of to say "be smart and think!" on that one scramble where he had a chance to go out of bounds and instead went back towards the middle of the field and took a good hit.

3 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

I don’t think this is news.  I think McDermott and Beane have both talked about limiting designed QB runs and building a running game that does not depend upon Josh Allen.  Whether they will accomplish both, I don’t know.

I thought that Dorsey had the mien of a guy who has been to the Prinipal’s Office - but then I thought that about Daboll at times as well. 

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

I don’t think this is news.  I think McDermott and Beane have both talked about limiting designed QB runs and building a running game that does not depend upon Josh Allen.  Whether they will accomplish both, I don’t know.

I thought that Dorsey had the mien of a guy who has been to the Prinipal’s Office - but then I thought that about Daboll at times as well. 

They clearly have not on his last int it was 3rd and about 1 and 1/2 Dorsey didn’t feel his line could get a 1 yard push to run to get a first down. So they put Josh in the shotgun. 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

That's nice what an interesting and unique thought.   McDermott has said that dozens of times publicly but Josh does what Josh does.  It s crystal clear what the coaches want, go back and watch his interview after the Thursday game last year....Allen said yep the coaches say that, but I'm a football player first.

Go to 1:40

When it comes to certain things, like avoiding contact based on down and distance, Josh has proven to not be coachable.  He needs some humble pie, hopefully the coaches can muster the strength to put him in his place to a degree, it risks the team's goals.  He needs to play smarter than he did last week.

Edited by Matt_In_NH
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

This is what running backs are for I agree 💯% . This administration doesn’t know what running back looks like if one ran them straight over… I’m tired of McBeane and the Carolina connection they need to get the F out of Buffalo. These same clowns ruined Cam Newton with there stupid QB draws . I don’t mind the scrambles that’s fine but the called draws are borderline insanity. Get a top flight elite running back if you want to run not these Tinys u been bringing us since u have come to Buffalo McBeane! Btw these guys also need to take some draft school lessons because they stink at that as well… 

Good article on the athletic that touched on some of this:

https://theathletic.com/4867821/2023/09/16/josh-allen-bills-quarterback-turnovers/

“You don’t just have to run around willy-nilly,” Gilbride said. “That’s kind of what I’m seeing with Allen. He’s looking to take off too early. Sometimes you have no choice and that’s a great weapon. He’s a big, powerful, courageous kid. Sometimes that becomes almost a crutch that’s overused.”

“Aaron Rodgers a few years ago, he had gotten to the point where he was so good at the secondary phases of the routes and scramble mode that I got the sense that’s what he was looking for rather than throwing the ball on time,” Gilbride said. “He had a terrible year and I was breaking down the games for Sunday Night Football for Cris Collinsworth. I just said, ‘He’s all out of whack here. He’s all out of rhythm. He’s trying to make a big play on every play.’ That’s kind of what Allen is doing. But he’s doing it more with his running or running around and then throwing.”

Gilbride said when he watched Allen in the playoffs against the Chiefs two years ago, he saw a quarterback in rhythm, one who was looking to beat Kansas City from the pocket first and run if he had to. When he watched toward the end of last season and even in the preseason this year, something had changed.

“He wasn’t in rhythm,” Gilbride said. “He wasn’t looking to make the throws all the time. He wasn’t getting the ball out on time.”

Gilbride said Allen needs to get back to being a point guard, where he’s distributing the ball to his playmakers. Right now, he’s not trying to solve his problems by throwing, and that’s throwing the offense off. It’s also providing a blueprint for defenses.

“I would take away the quick throws outside,” Gilbride said. “Right now he’s much more comfortable throwing the clear, easy-to-read stuff outside the numbers. I would play as much quarters coverage (as I could) to force him to read stuff in the middle of the field, force him to see the high-low stuff and make decisions. I’m not sure he’s reading those things at all. That’s what I would do to slow him down.”

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.