Bills are adjusting to a lot and are going to get better

transplantbillsfan

Have we all taken our deep breaths yet?

Let's be honest, the Bills have wildly shifted their offensive philosophy. I understand it didn't necessarily look like that in the game against the Jets, but the Bills went from being the team with the lowest percentage of 12 personnel in the NFL last season to being the highest in week 1.

That signals a massive offensive philosophy shift.

But obviously it didn't look like that on the field, which was really just because of poor choices by Josh yesterday.

Josh played what I think was his worst game in the NFL yesterday.

So what? Disregard his previous 5 years? It took 5 years, but suddenly he's figured out?

Idiotic.

Josh will have bad games in the future obviously, but I think he needs to get his feet under him in this offensive philosophy. The Jets, in hindsight, may have been the worst team to trot out a new offensive philosophy and try to get comfortable against.

It was Monday night on September 11th in the general metropolitan area and the atmosphere was clearly electric. Hero Ball from Josh seemed almost inevitable looking back on it.

On top of all this, Sean McDermott is calling the defense (with a brand new young MLB) for the first time ever as Head Coach... mighta been an issue... particularly on an 83 yard run where everyone was misaligned.

I was actually impressed with the play of Bernard and especially Benford on our D.

I just think this idea that this national narrative in the offseason that "the Bills didn't improve because they stayed the same" is, at best, half true.

We still have to wait to see if the Bills improved... but a lot has changed:

Shift to 12 personnel 

All the offensive philosophies that go with that

Shift to HC as DC (How much is he in Josh's ear)

2 new OL

New QB of the Defense in Bernard 

New CB2

etc.

giphy.gif

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 4

• transplantbillsfan changed the title to Bills are adjusting to a lot and are going to get better
1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

Which one of those changes resulted in Hollywood lobbing bombs into double coverage 50 yards downfield and running straight into blocked defenders for the 6th year in a row?

Just added that to the post actually. I think the atmosphere there was huge. You could hear it during the National Anthem. I've never heard the National Anthem sung so loudly in unison by the fans. Have you?

I think the build up to that game all offseason and then the stage itself begged Josh to play hero and he tried to oblige, but failed miserably.

But Josh bounces back from his bad games in his career. And with this being maybe the worst he's ever played, I think it's more than 1 game.

• Like (+1) 2

I haven't had interest in watching one replay of any play in that game but was there a difference in how many times our offense played out of Shotgun?  Were we just running the same offense but with Kincaid as our slot guy instead of a WR so it was technically called 12 personnel instead of 11?  If so, that's not a major shift and is just another built in excuse trying to justify a poor game by Allen decision wise.

3 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

T.O. once said “That’s my Quarterback.”

Now that Allen is T.O. does he say that when he looks in the mirror? 

What in god's name are you talking about?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 6

25 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I haven't had interest in watching one replay of any play in that game but was there a difference in how many times our offense played out of Shotgun?  Were we just running the same offense but with Kincaid as our slot guy instead of a WR so it was technically called 12 personnel instead of 11?  If so, that's not a major shift and is just another built in excuse trying to justify a poor game by Allen decision wise.

Fair question because I would also like to see Allen under Center a lot more. That's a Dorsey issue. 

But I think you could see the shifts in alignment and run philosophy as well. Just don't love all the shotgun habdoffs.

• Agree 2

I agree OP. Jets are an elite d, as are we and a division rival, we'll get payback in a couple months. Look at Joey Burrow week 1, Chase 30 something yards, Higgins 0 yards, some teams just match up well. 

Even with a terrible game we were still a play or 2 from the W. 

Gotta get a nice rebound game vs Da Raiders, if the O looks bad again then I'd be ringing the alarm bells 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

for josh its pretty simple.  he's his own worst enemy.  this game required a patient methodical mistake free approach.  It goes against his very nature but he just needs to reset and just do some very simple things we all know he has to do in order to be successful.  First of stop taking those hits.  Slide or run out of bounds.  Second just take the easy completion and trust in your teammates.  Let them help you.  Ie stop with the hero ball.  Josh you are the franchise and you are irreplaceable.  It was one play and rodgers was done for the year.  please stop unnecessarily putting yourself in harms way.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

47 minutes ago, larrym said:

for josh its pretty simple.  he's his own worst enemy.  this game required a patient methodical mistake free approach.  It goes against his very nature but he just needs to reset and just do some very simple things we all know he has to do in order to be successful.  First of stop taking those hits.  Slide or run out of bounds.  Second just take the easy completion and trust in your teammates.  Let them help you.  Ie stop with the hero ball.  Josh you are the franchise and you are irreplaceable.  It was one play and rodgers was done for the year.  please stop unnecessarily putting yourself in harms way.

It's been six years and counting.

I just don't think Allen will suddenly start taking care of the ball and sliding. Nothing indicates this will happen!

Allen is feast or famine; mostly feast. There will be games he just gives away each year. Allen isn't going to change folks. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Just added that to the post actually. I think the atmosphere there was huge. You could hear it during the National Anthem. I've never heard the National Anthem sung so loudly in unison by the fans. Have you?

I think the build up to that game all offseason and then the stage itself begged Josh to play hero and he tried to oblige, but failed miserably.

But Josh bounces back from his bad games in his career. And with this being maybe the worst he's ever played, I think it's more than 1 game.

The atmosphere was DEAD after Rogers went down. That place was as silent as a morgue.  Oh and they were up 13-3 at half and no need for hero ball.

The truth is Allen just layer a big old fat egg on Monday night. IMO the Jets D either scares him or confuses the heck out of him. It also didn’t help him focusing on 1 receiver, hard see all the others when you just look at one.

All and all Allen will probably come out this week and throw for 400 yards and 4 TDS.. he just had a bad bad game all QBs have them.. 

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Let's be honest, the Bills have wildly shifted their offensive philosophy. I understand it didn't necessarily look like that in the game against the Jets, but the Bills went from being the team with the lowest percentage of 12 personnel in the NFL last season to being the highest in week 1.

But obviously it didn't look like that on the field, which was really just because of poor choices by Josh yesterday.

So what? Disregard his previous 5 years? It took 5 years, but suddenly he's figured out?

Idiotic.

Josh will have bad games in the future obviously, but I think he needs to get his feet under him in this offensive philosophy. The Jets, in hindsight, may have been the worst team to trot out a new offensive philosophy and try to get comfortable against.

It was Monday night on September 11th in the general metropolitan area and the atmosphere was clearly electric. Hero Ball from Josh seemed almost inevitable looking back on it.

On top of all this, Sean McDermott is calling the defense (with a brand new young MLB) for the first time ever as Head Coach... mighta been an issue... particularly on an 83 yard run where everyone was misaligned.

I was actually impressed with the play of Bernard and especially Benford on our D.

I just think this idea that this national narrative in the offseason that "the Bills didn't improve because they stayed the same" is, at best, half true.

Shift to 12 personnel 

2 new OL

New CB2

etc.

giphy.gif

With respect, this post really doesn't make a whole lot of sense. 

The offense and Allen were terrible. Yes, the Jets D had something to do with it. 

I fail to see how the Bills "new look offense" negatively effected the Bills O. Frankly, I didn't see a "new look offense." I saw a disjointed, frantic, out of rhythm, no synchrony, lack of run game, little motion, and a predictable offense.  I barely noticed 12 personnel and it had really no significant impact on the Jets defense.

Kincaid catches two balls and Bills fans are googly eyed over his performance. Really? Lots of Bills fans just see things through a weird lens. That performance was not anything to get excited about. Lions TE Sam Laporta on a real offense looked 5xs as good as Kincaid. Not because he's better but because the Lions offense with a mediocre  QB Goff and OC Johnson is better. That says a lot about the Bills and not in a good way. 

Allen sucked! It had nothing to do with a new offense. The crowd noise and 911 had nothing to do with it either. The crowd was stunned and in shock after the Rodgers injury. It sucked the life right out of the Jets. The Bills failed to pounce on the "mentally injured" Jets. 

Sure there were a few bright spots but overall this game was a collosal failure by the Bills. A failed opportunity to win. A game Allen gave away. An offense that looked anything but dynamic and innovative. It looked predictable, uncreative, and anything but explosive. The oline got pushed around pretty good. Dorsey did nothing to combat the Jets D. Little motion, little deception, didn't commit to the run game, etc...

This opening game was the opposite of encouraging. Hard to see how the most optimistic fans can see a lot good from this offense. Besides Diggs there wasn't much else to like. Cook looked OK but he's far from elite or a game changer, the WR core stinks, and Knox and Kincaid doesn't scare any defense. The oline is still subpar. The offense was painful to watch. 

It's one game and a lot has to change for the good. Sure it's possible and likely to happen. It's nothing but upwards because it can't get much worse. 

This team needs a new offensive philosophy and a new coaching regime from top to bottom. Monday night showed the flaws of the team, players, and coaching. 

It wasn't the loss it was the way they lost. It was the examination of a lack of player talent and a flawed roster. It was a lack of coaching adjustments . It was a lack of killer instinct and the sighting of a soft team. It was the epiphany of a coach McD team. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

With respect, this post really doesn't make a whole lot of sense. 

The offense and Allen was terrible. Yes, the Jets D had something to do with it. 

I fail to see how the Bills "new look offense" negatively effected the Bills O. Frankly, I didn't see a "new look offense." I saw a disjointed, frantic, out of rhythm, no synchrony, lack of run game, little motion, and a predictable offense.  I barely noticed 12 personnel and it had really no significant impact on the Jets defense.

Kincaid catches two balls and Bills fans are googly eyed over his performance. Really? Lots of Bills fans just see things through a weird lens. That performance was not anything to get excited about. Lions TE Sam Laporta on a real offense looked 5xs as good as Kincaid. Not because he's better but because the Lions offense with a mediocre  QB Goff and OC Johnson is better. That says a lot about the Bills and not in a good way. 

Allen sucked! It had nothing to do with a new offense. The crowd noise and 911 had nothing to do with it either. The crowd was stunned and in shock after the Rodgers injury. It sucked the life right out of the Jets. The Bills failed to pounce on the "mentally injured" Jets. 

Sure there were a few bright spots but overall this game was a collosal failure by the Bills. A failed opportunity to win. A game Allen gave away. An offense that looked anything but dynamic and innovative. It looked predictable, uncreative, and anything but explosive. The oline got pushed around pretty good. Dorsey did nothing to combat the Jets D. Little motion, little deception, didn't commit to the run game, etc...

This opening game was the opposite of encouraging. Hard to see how the most optimistic fans can see a lot good from this offense. Besides Diggs there wasn't much else to like. Cook looked OK but he's far from elite or a game changer, the WR core stinks, and Knox and Kincaid doesn't scare any defense. The oline is still subpar. The offense was painful to watch. 

It's one game and a lot has to change for the good. Sure it's possible and likely to happen. It's nothing but upwards because it can't get much worse. 

This team needs a new offensive philosophy and a new coaching regime from top to bottom. Monday night showed the flaws of the team, players, and coaching. 

It was the loss it was the way they lost. It was the examination of a lack of player talent and a flawed roster. It was a lack of coaching adjustments . It was a lack of killer instinct and the sighting of a soft team. It was the epiphany of a coach McD team. 

Harsh, but fair. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, larrym said:

This a 1000%

Idiotic.

Shift to 12 personnel 

2 new OL

New CB2

etc.

giphy.gif

Interesting narrative. It’s not remotely close to reality, but there are probably some fanboys you can sell it to. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

The atmosphere was DEAD after Rogers went down. That place was as silent as a morgue.  Oh and they were up 13-3 at half and no need for hero ball.

The truth is Allen just layer a big old fat egg on Monday night. IMO the Jets D either scares him or confuses the heck out of him. It also didn’t help him focusing on 1 receiver, hard see all the others when you just look at one.

All and all Allen will probably come out this week and throw for 400 yards and 4 TDS.. he just had a bad bad game all QBs have them.. 

Partly true but there's more to the story. I'll try to elaborate. 

Diggs is the only reliable passing target in the team. The rest of the WR core isn't very good. 

The Jets D dominated the predictable and uncreative Bills offense. The Bills can't match up with their defense. The stats back that up from last year to the Monday night game. 

Allen gave the game away. I suspect he feels like he's on an island with a unreliable oline, a lack of explosive offensive weapons, and an OC that stinks. He's lost his trust in the offense. He's mentally fragile. His eyes and feet were roaming wildly in a bad way which result in happy feet, panic, and horrific decisions. It's not the first or last time Bills fans will see this. 

The team is likely on a descending decline and we saw a glimpse of that in Monday night. This team isn't as good as many think. 

• Sad 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

Sorry Transplant but nothing killed the atmosphere more than Rodgers getting hurt on the 4th play.  It was dead.

We were up by 10 at one point during the game.

If this opening day atmosphere for this was too huge for Allen, are you confident he would play well in a Super Bowl?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.