Where is the data to suggest that things will change?

Virgil

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

"keep composure" ??? What does that mean?

People writing insightful posts pointing out flaws with our team's construct are not "losing composure" and even if they were, who the hell cares? This is a message board for Christ's sake, filled mostly with  low IQ posters.

If you can't B word and be stupid here, where can you!?

😂

You know the definition of being composed…I think.

So you come to this message board just to B word and be stupid?

If that’s who you are, more power to you?

1 minute ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

giphy.gif

Seasons done. time to find a new regime from top to bottom. maybe terry sells the team and the new ownership rights the ship? wonder what they could get for a JA trade? he obviously isn't the answer at QB. every phase of the game needs to be stripped and reset. special teams sucks, defense couldn't stop a nose bleed and the offense as a whole is a disaster. then you take coaching. get rid of the whole staff.

this team will be lucky to win 6/7 games and will be no fun to watch, like last night was no fun to watch. I'm sure I can find better things to do with my Sunday, like fishing.

team/organization has been snake bit. it started back when they went to 4 straight super bowls and lost every one, four straight. then this group, gets close but always manages to ***** it up. as a fan, one can really take only so much. I have a thick skin, not much bothers me but there is no sense in going through another game let alone season when the outcome is pretty evident with this losing bunch. JA should be embarrassed from his performance last night. but when a team is snake bit, those kind of nights will continue to happen. throwing 3 picks to same player, 3. that just doesn't happen unless the team is the buffalo bills. a team that has brought more pain to its fans then any other nfl fan base out there.

sure, it was one game and some will write it off as that but the reality is that game was a clear picture of what is to come.

bamboo pole, some shade, good music and catch a few fish on Sunday afternoon. nice relaxing days ahead and more entertaining than watching this team meltdown like it did last night.

GO *cough cough BILLS...👎

Not sure if serious....

41 minutes ago, Success said:

" Great, elite QB's, don't do what Josh did tonight"

I mean, I just started a thread earlier about Peyton Manning throwing 6 picks in a primetime game.  And they all have had games like that.

As to the main question of the OP: I was pretty encouraged by literally every other facet of the game for the Bills. I thought the pass rush was way better, the O-line was good, Bernard held up well, Kincaid looked like the guy we hoped he would be, Groot has taken a next step, et al.  

This is a better team than last year.  Josh just has to be better than he was last night.

I'm with you. The D looked good. The running game seemed serviceable-to-good.  No drops issues with the WRs like last year. Dorsey came with a good ball control gameplan.  Josh just decided to go off script and throw the game away.  That's really the only takeaway for me.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Oh I agree… I’m just saying it’s not like the short passing game was firing on all cylinders… the Bills lack of receivers with any sort of YAC ability play a part in that. 

I am not blaming the WR and their YAC ability yesterday.  They didn’t have room to move because they had someone on them immediately.  Even on Diggs slant routes, there wasn’t much separation.

The implosion on the board is absolutely hilarious. I've seen a topic complaining about everything from last night. It's absolutely hilarious. 

Like 2 years ago when we lost to the corpse of Big Ben... everyone thought the sky was falling and then Josh went on to have an MVP season taking second in voting..

Bills fans are actually the funniest group of people to watch complain after ANYTHING wrong happens. The most irrational people.

Week 1 in the NFL is a lie. It always has been. Teams look better than they are and most teams look worse than they are... cant tell that to the Bills fanbase though.. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

What's wrong with that, though? So the offense takes time to get down the field, that's fine. At least 4.8 YPT progresses the football and retains possession. And, with Rodgers down, the Jets would have started to worry had the Bills dink and dunked on them.

Yea and sometimes you just have acknowledge that a defense has your offensive personell outmatched. Outside of Allen and Diggs the jets certainly had that advantage.

Thats the other thing I’m finding disagreement with - attacking Dorsey. He did exactly what you’re supposed to when the Defensive front is better than your offensive line and has a great secondary to go with it. If Allen stuck with the game plan, we’re waking up in a much better mood

1 minute ago, warrior9 said:

The implosion on the board is absolutely hilarious. I've seen a topic complaining about everything from last night. It's absolutely hilarious. 

Like 2 years ago when we lost to the corpse of Big Ben... everyone thought the sky was falling and then Josh went on to have an MVP season taking second in voting..

Bills fans are actually the funniest group of people to watch complain after ANYTHING wrong happens. The most irrational people.

Week 1 in the NFL is a lie. It always has been. Teams look better than they are and most teams look worse than they are... cant tell that to the Bills fanbase though.. 

Can't thank this post enough. This board is INSANE today.  People talking about trading Josh and firing everyone.  

I mean, spoiler alert:  we'll still get double digit wins, and make the playoffs, and JA is likely to have a great season and be a top 5 QB at the end.  It will never be enough for some.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I agree with you that signing Daniel Jones to that large contract was a very poor idea and may end up being what dooms Brian Daboll’s tenure in New York (eventually).

But back to Daboll as an offensive coordinator, he excelled at finding a way to scheme wide receivers open. He gave Allen easy decisions. Dorsey seems to struggle with this. 

Think back to our time with Daboll. Do you recall the amount of times that Josh had an easy read, with an open receiver? It was quite often. We rarely ever see this now Instead, we see Alan having to fit balls into extremely tight windows far more often than was done under Daboll.

I won't argue about Daboll and him scheming more open WR's.  We've seen it from Dorsey but it's much more inconsistent...something is going on there.

Even on the Davis big gain, Diggs was in the area.  As Aikman said, Diggs needed to clear out more but didn't.  There was a miss communication or something.

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Exactly they all struggle with separation outside of Diggs.… no speed. 

Diggs wasn't separating last night either.  

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I won't argue about Daboll and him scheming more open WR's.  We've seen it from Dorsey but it's much more inconsistent...something is going on there.

Even on the Davis big gain, Diggs was in the area.  As Aikman said, Diggs needed to clear out more but didn't.  There was a miss communication or something.

Diggs wasn't separating last night either.  

Diggs should not be mentioned as a problem in any capacity

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, Virgil said:

For the first time in Josh's career, I feel like he's peaked.  Great, elite QB's, don't do what Josh did tonight.  It's not the 3 interceptions and fumble, but it kind of is.  It's the fact that everyone knew how the Jets were going to play him.  Hell, even Josh knew and admitted it.  What does he do with this information?  The same thing he always does against defenses like this.  Take the underneath stuff to start the game, get frustrated, and then start pushing it downfield.  The first interception, I gave a pass.  He couldn't have ran with it like some people think because alternate camera angles showed a player waiting for him 7 yards downfield.  That interception was basically a punt.  The second interception was just plain stupid and potentially cost us at least 3 points, as we were a first down away from being in range.  The last two turnovers were all Josh and his lack of concentration.  You want to be elite?  We can't be talking about your ability to think in the 4th quarter.

Agree to a degree here. For the first time since 2019 I looked and said "well I know when he is good we can win a lot with him BUT he has to play in himself more". Right now I feel he has regressed back to being a top 10-12ish guy who when its good its good, but you can frustrate him into mistakes. 2020 Josh was special because he played the entire year within himself and didn't force the ball or mistakes that we have seen creep back for the last two years. The last three years the roster basically was able to be invested in without removing pieces, this is the first year where while draft additions were made some actual attrition has occurred and the core has aged so it is on Josh to a degree hold a high standard. Additionally the division even with Rodgers out is a real challenge as Miami looks ready to go, NE has a competent OC, and the Jets just took one of two PLUS the AFC itself even if the Jets fall away is really good. The Jets game in 2020 I loved because it was a six FG game, but Josh just took what he had and did not force it. You will not win every week bombing 30+ pts as much as Josh and we all want to. The most maddening thing last night was the 2nd INT for me. 2nd and 13 at the Jets 41 up 7 and the Jets on offense were not doing anything threatening. He could've done a dump off, could've thrown it away, could've done a lot of things to give a 3rd down so at least your in FG range and if nothing else can make it again a 10 pt lead. He did the single worst thing possible and threw into double coverage. That was a killer and the same on the 3rd INT where again a forced pass when we needed 2 yards to just go and keep moving the ball where a FG wins it basically.

Josh will have more good games then not, but he basically averages 2-4 games a year like this where he gets way out of whack and it costs them dearly outside of 2020 where he was perfect in that regard. This year the rope for mistakes is far shorter for the division and the playoffs even with the AFC more competitive then it has been. He has to regain that patience and willingness to take the shorter easier plays then constantly going for the homerun or big play. Most teams don't have the Jets defense either, but it doesn't matter if you keep forcing it as they will bait him.

Right now and going back into last year a bit I think the talent and ability is there for him top be a top 3 guy, but the performance is not at that level right now. Kincaid and Knox looked really good last night and I feel if he can attack more with them in middle like he use to with Beasley you will see more of his patience return a bit. Overall I absolutely believe he can and hopefully will lead the Bills to a title, but some mental adjustments and scheme to lock what made him what he did best are needed if you want his best version, otherwise prepare yearly for a bunch of games like this and a top10 guy not elite top3.

Edited by corta765
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Success said:

Can't thank this post enough. This board is INSANE today.  People talking about trading Josh and firing everyone.  

I mean, spoiler alert:  we'll still get double digit wins, and make the playoffs, and JA is likely to have a great season and be a top 5 QB at the end.  It will never be enough for some.

I completely agree.  But why do you believe we will win the whole thing?  What's different than the last 3 years?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, corta765 said:

Agree to a degree here. For the first time since 2019 I looked and said "well I know when he is good we can win a lot with him BUT he has to play in himself more". Right now I feel he has regressed back to being a top 10-12ish guy who when its good its good, but you can frustrate him into mistakes. 2020 Josh was special because he played the entire year within himself and didn't force the ball or mistakes that we have seen creep back for the last two years. The last three years the roster basically was able to be invested in without removing pieces, this is the first year where while draft additions were made some actual attrition has occurred and the core has aged so it is on Josh to a degree hold a high standard. Additionally the division even with Rodgers out is a real challenge as Miami looks ready to go, NE has a competent OC, and the Jets just took one of two PLUS the AFC itself even if the Jets fall away is really good. The Jets game in 2020 I loved because it was a six FG game, but Josh just took what he had and did not force it. You will not win every week bombing 30+ pts as much as Josh and we all want to. The most maddening thing last night was the 2nd INT for me. 2nd and 13 at the Jets 41 up 7 and the Jets on offense were not doing anything threatening. He could've done a dump off, could've thrown it away, could've done a lot of things to give a 3rd down so at least your in FG range and if nothing else can make it again a 10 pt lead. He did the single worst thing possible and threw into double coverage. That was a killer and the same on the 3rd INT where again a forced pass when we needed 2 yards to just go and keep moving the ball where a FG wins it basically.

Josh will have more good games then not, but he basically averages 2-4 games a year like this where he gets way out of whack and it costs them dearly outside of 2020 where he was perfect in that regard. This year the rope for mistakes is far shorter for the division and the playoffs even with the AFC more competitive then it has been. He has to regain that patience and willingness to take the shorter easier plays then constantly going for the homerun or big play. Most teams don't have the Jets defense either, but it doesn't matter if you keep forcing it as they will bait him.

Right now and going back into last year a bit I think the talent and ability is there for him top be a top 3 guy, but the performance is not at that level right now. Kincaid and Knox looked really good last night and I feel if he can attack more with them in middle like he use to with Beasley you will see more of his patience return a bit.

I agree that he will win more than he loses.  I still expect playoffs and a double digit win.  

However, I still expect him to have one of these games in the playoffs to end our season.  I was hoping to see something to prove me wrong in the opener against a team he's struggled against, but didn't see it.  He actually played worse.  Which is why I'm not optimistic that we can push further in the postseason

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Josh was something like 18/22 with an average of 4.8 YPT… let’s not act like the short passing game was going great… it was going exactly as the Jets planned… that type of production just encourages mistakes which is what the the Jets got.

If the Bills had RAC beasts like, say, Tyreke Hill and Jaylen Waddle, then throwing short all day would be more viable and no doubt Josh would do it more consistently.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.