College football a joke for early season and bowl games

Radar

Welcome to preseason college football. Ranked teams paying lesser programs to beat up on them as glorified practices. Then season ends by a bowl game for any sponsor with money to fund the NCAA. Just my reason for next to no interest in a sport I used to follow closely.

5 hours ago, Dopey said:

#5 LSU is playing #8 FSU right now. Seems like a pretty good matchup for week 1. 

Brian Kelly is the most overrated coach in College Football......that is all.

Never liked him at Notre Dame...glad they let him go.

• Agree 1

“I hate college football so much that I’m going to start a thread, on a football message board, to tell internet strangers, how much I hate college football.” That’s sad. Anyways, for those paying attention, the first month contains weekly matchups with playoff implications: LSU - FSU, Texas - Alabama, and OSU - ND. OU - Tennessee and OU - UGA were both called off because of OU entering the SEC.

Speaking of which, conference consolidation will do wonders for college football. There will be more “best-on-best” matchups before determine the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

“I hate college football so much that I’m going to start a thread, on a football message board, to tell internet strangers, how much I hate college football.” That’s sad. Anyways, for those paying attention, the first month contains weekly matchups with playoff implications: LSU - FSU, Texas - Alabama, and OSU - ND. OU - Tennessee and OU - UGA were both called off because of OU entering the SEC.

Speaking of which, conference consolidation will do wonders for college football. There will be more “best-on-best” matchups before determine the playoffs. 

I agree. I don't think it is the ideal solution or the answer you would design if you were starting now with a blank sheet of paper and without the history, tradition and politics within the structure.... but I do think ultimately we are heading towards a situation where the Big 10 and the SEC are the Premier Division of conferences with, loosely, the Big Ten as the North and Western division and the SEC as the South and Eastern division. And I think that will make for better matchups although the scheduling will still need some work. 

You'd almost then have the ACC and the Big 12 as the second tier conferences. I know at the moment we have Clemson, Florida State and the U in the ACC and Oklahoma State still in the Big 12 etc and that might still need some shuffling.... but I do think those two conferences feel viable but not on the elite tier. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Special K said:

Brian Kelly is the most overrated coach in College Football......that is all.

Never liked him at Notre Dame...glad they let him go.

I can’t stand Brian Kelly.  Went from a hard-working head coach in Division II to a guy who just runs for the money and prestige, players be damned.  He has left not one, not two, but THREE programs prior to their bowl games to bolt for greener pastures.  Seeing him fail at LSU will be a joy to behold, and I’m so happy FSU put the beat down on them last night.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree. I don't think it is the ideal solution or the answer you would design if you were starting now with a blank sheet of paper and without the history, tradition and politics within the structure.... but I do think ultimately we are heading towards a situation where the Big 10 and the SEC are the Premier Division of conferences with, loosely, the Big Ten as the North and Western division and the SEC as the South and Eastern division. And I think that will make for better matchups although the scheduling will still need some work. 

You'd almost then have the ACC and the Big 12 as the second tier conferences. I know at the moment we have Clemson, Florida State and the U in the ACC and Oklahoma State still in the Big 12 etc and that might still need some shuffling.... but I do think those two conferences feel viable but not on the elite tier. 

The ACC is in trouble.  Clemson and FSU will be the first shoes to drop, then Miami, and Virginia, Carolina, and NC State won’t be far behind.  Adding Stanford, Cal, and SMU was all about the TV market, but the makeup of the “Atlantic Coast” conference now is laughable.

”Any College Conference” is more like it.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, eball said:

The ACC is in trouble.  Clemson and FSU will be the first shoes to drop, then Miami, and Virginia, Carolina, and NC State won’t be far behind.  Adding Stanford, Cal, and SMU was all about the TV market, but the makeup of the “Atlantic Coast” conference now is laughable.

Yea I think at some point Clemson, FSU and Miami end up in the SEC. But I think there is a viable second tier of conferences that is the ACC and Big 12 that still has some decent programmes in them. Though agree geographically there is nothing Atlantic about the ACC anymore. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Almost???? They are already second rate compared to the SEC and Big 10. Did you see what Georgia (and now Colorado lol) did to TCU? Did you see what a below their normal standard Alabama team did to Kansas State?

Dabo is very smart not to bring Clemson into the SEC. He has a very deep team every season. They only play 1 or perhaps 2 high quality teams per season. He gets to rest all of his starters and keep them fresh. If one of the starters does get injured, he will be replaced by an experienced backup. 

With the 12 team playoffs looming, teams will automatically get playoff spots for winning their weak conferences, including the virtually non-existant PAC 12.  Do you think that this is fair?

Edited by Bill from NYC

33 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Almost???? They are already second rate compared to the SEC and Big 10. Did you see what Georgia (and now Colorado lol) did to TCU? Did you see what a below their normal standard Alabama team did to Kansas State?

Dabo is very smart not to bring Clemson into the SEC. He has a very deep team every season. They only play 1 or perhaps 2 high quality teams per season. He gets to rest all of his starters and keep them fesh. If one of the starters does get injured, he will be replaced by an experienced backup. 

With the 12 team playoffs looming, teams will automatically get playoff spots for winning their weak conferences, including the virtually non-existant PAC 12.  Do you think that this is fair?

I didn't mean it like that. I meant you'd almost have a very clear organisational divide where all the big programmes play in the two big conferences. Not that the difference in standard between the SEC and Big 10 and the rest isn't already great. It is.

While for now I see the sense in Clemson staying put I think medium to long term to economic reality will be that they need to be in the SEC. Florida State getting back to something like competitive helps the ACC but long term it, like the Big12, is substandard in comparison to particularly the SEC but the Big 10 too. 

No I don't think winning the PAC12 should automatically get you in to a 12 team playoff. If we get to the two premier conference approach I talk about above my expectation is that the majority of the 12 team playoff would come from those conferences. It should take a kind of Cincinnati of two years ago season for other teams to gatecrash the party. If you want to make it from a non-SEC / Big 10 conference you should have to be a 0 or 1 loss team and have a quality win or two on your schedule. 

Equally, as you will no doubt recall, I have not been an advocate of the 12 team playoff. Personally I think there was a case for a smaller playoff expansion (I'd have gone to 6 with #1 and #2 getting a bye) but I think increasing to 12 just means playoff games for teams with no chance of a national title.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, eball said:

Someone had that for a sign on College Gameday.

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I didn't mean it like that. I meant you'd almost have a very clear organisational divide where all the big programmes play in the two big conferences. Not that the difference in standard between the SEC and Big 10 and the rest isn't already great. It is.

While for now I see the sense in Clemson staying put I think medium to long term to economic reality will be that they need to be in the SEC. Florida State getting back to something like competitive helps the ACC but long term it, like the Big12, is substandard in comparison to particularly the SEC but the Big 10 too. 

No I don't think winning the PAC12 should automatically get you in to a 12 team playoff. If we get to the two premier conference approach I talk about above my expectation is that the majority of the 12 team playoff would come from those conferences. It should take a kind of Cincinnati of two years ago season for other teams to gatecrash the party. If you want to make it from a non-SEC / Big 10 conference you should have to be a 0 or 1 loss team and have a quality win or two on your schedule. 

Equally, as you will no doubt recall, I have not been an advocate of the 12 team playoff. Personally I think there was a case for a smaller playoff expansion (I'd have gone to 6 with #1 and #2 getting a bye) but I think increasing to 12 just means playoff games for teams with no chance of a national title.

Just let him go on about until everyone recognizes Alabama is more important to college football than Sagittarius A* is to the Milky Way.

I usually do pretty good betting on college games. I went 2-7 week 0 (which wasn't good obviously). Usually make hay the first few weeks. Then went 3-0 Thursday. Vegas cleaned house week 0. Anyways, after looking at week 1 lines, I didn't bet one game. I've never seen so many huge spreads and then so many points scored. It was a wild wknd. And then, to finish it off on Monday night with Clemson getting blown out. Crazy.

Clemson is my favorite college team. I wouldn't touch that game last night. They have no QB and I'm not sure if Dabo will make it through the season. How do you not fix the QB problem? They've had no answer since Trevor.  

3 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

Clemson is my favorite college team. I wouldn't touch that game last night. They have no QB and I'm not sure if Dabo will make it through the season. How do you not fix the QB problem?

image.thumb.jpeg.1e44d86380967cd6dd79593284756a3f.jpeg
"I can play QB!  I can even scheme some plays!  And my brother can play OL...all of it at once!  We'll even share a dorm room!"

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

I usually do pretty good betting on college games. I went 2-7 week 0 (which wasn't good obviously). Usually make hay the first few weeks. Then went 3-0 Thursday. Vegas cleaned house week 0. Anyways, after looking at week 1 lines, I didn't bet one game. I've never seen so many huge spreads and then so many points scored. It was a wild wknd. And then, to finish it off on Monday night with Clemson getting blown out. Crazy.

Clemson is my favorite college team. I wouldn't touch that game last night. They have no QB and I'm not sure if Dabo will make it through the season. How do you not fix the QB problem? They've had no answer since Trevor.  

Recruiting is a crap shoot... But to say they have no quarterback is hindsight

Cade was literally the number one high school quarterback recruit coming out of high school... Every single college in America wanted him

So if he sucks it's because the entire scouting industry missed

Usually massive growth from your freshman to sophomore year

Edited by Buffalo716

51 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Recruiting is a crap shoot... But to say they have no quarterback is hindsight

Cade was literally the number one high school quarterback recruit coming out of high school... Every single college in America wanted him

So if he sucks it's because the entire scouting industry missed

Usually massive growth from your freshman to sophomore year

They also recruited DJ Uiagalelei to replace Trevor. He was a major swing and a miss. But they stuck with him. They dug their own hole. I'm still gonna root for them every week. 

2 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

They also recruited DJ Uiagalelei to replace Trevor. He was a major swing and a miss. But they stuck with him. They dug their own hole. I'm still gonna root for them every week. 

It might be more scheme than player talent

DJ looked great for Oregon St... Dabo hasn't been able to protect any of his quarterbacks recently... Or scheme WRs open 

Cornerbacks were Manning up against Clemson wide receivers at duke

That's a long fall for Clemson wide receivers

DJ clearly wasnt the problem either ... It seems all of Clemson is falling apart

Edited by Buffalo716

10 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It might be more scheme than player talent

DJ looked great for Oregon St... Dabo hasn't been able to protect any of his quarterbacks recently... Or scheme WRs open 

Cornerbacks were Manning up against Clemson wide receivers at duke

That's a long fall for Clemson wide receivers

DJ clearly wasnt the problem either ... It seems all of Clemson is falling apart

Yes they are. They were too used to a stud QB, with a stud RB and great WRs with Vanables great defense. It all went to crap real quick. The whole system never seemed to plan for life without Lawrence. They're not Alabama where the name recruits itself. 

2 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

Yes they are. They were too used to a stud QB, with a stud RB and great WRs with Vanables great defense. It all went to crap real quick. The whole system never seemed to plan for life without Lawrence. They're not Alabama where the name recruits itself. 

Absolutely

I called it a few years ago... Clemson doesn't have the staying power of Alabama or Ohio State

Dabo built a great program... But he's been coasting on his past success

He hasn't been developing at the same rate he used too ... And he's not maximizing his Blue Chip talent

Edited by Buffalo716

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Absolutely

I called it a few years ago... Clemson doesn't have the staying power of Alabama or Ohio State

Dabo built a great program... But he's been coasting on his past success

He hasn't been developing at the same rate he used too ... And he's not maximizing his Blue Chip talent

You couldn't be more spot on. They have one of the top LB's in the country. I'm blanking on his name right now. But he was so out of position all night against Duke. Not happy days in Death Valley anymore. 

12 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

You couldn't be more spot on. They have one of the top LB's in the country. I'm blanking on his name right now. But he was so out of position all night against Duke. Not happy days in Death Valley anymore. 

Listen even Alabama wasn't the same after the bear left

The most consistent programs over the last 50 years like Ohio State and Oklahoma

Even Alabama's had more losing season post bear

Dabo build that Clemson program and is a Hall of famer in his own right

Even though he's Young for coaching standards time has caught up ... He's gotta adjust

He had a phenomenal run

Edited by Buffalo716

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Listen even Alabama wasn't the same after the bear left

The most consistent programs over the last 50 years like Ohio State and Oklahoma

Even Alabama's had more losing season post bear

Dabo build that Clemson program and is a Hall of famer in his own right

Even though he's Young for coaching standards time has caught up ... He's gotta adjust

He had a phenomenal run

He almost seems lost without Brent Venables. But like you said, he needs to adjust. I hope he figures it out. If Dino Babers can do it with less talent, I think he could figure it out. But maybe not. Idk!!

18 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

He almost seems lost without Brent Venables. But like you said, he needs to adjust. I hope he figures it out. If Dino Babers can do it with less talent, I think he could figure it out. But maybe not. Idk!!

Brent Is the only person who's been able to slow down Alabama in a national championship

And there's a reason why Oklahoma paid him the money they did for him to come back

he's a hell of a coach and let dabo focus more on offense than the entire team

Edited by Buffalo716

9 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Brent Is the only person who's been able to slow down Alabama in a national championship

And there's a reason why Oklahoma paid him the money they did for him to come back

he's a hell of a coach and let dabo focus more on offense than the entire team

They definitely miss him and it shows. But I wish him nothing but success at OU. 

I truly enjoy college football but  the rankings are beyond stupid. In the coaches poll the undefeated Blue Devils are behind the winless Tigers when they played and Duke won 28-7. There is not any logical argument you can make except that the results on the field are less important than an opinion formed before the season. 

On 9/5/2023 at 4:28 AM, Bubba Gump said:

As a lifelong Alabama Fan I understand how you feel. I'm not accustomed to The Tide losing many games but that said, perhaps you might be overreacting. Dabo is a great, championship winning coach. He (imo) is a fantastic game manager. Where he may lack is his ability (or perhaps even will) to adapt to NIL, but this can be fixed imo.

Dabo is in a great situation down there. His competetion is virtually non existant, in that Clemson usually seems to have a very weak schedule. Clemson teams are deep with talent and they have 10x the athletes than almost any team they ever face.

When Saban retires (and trust me I dread that ugly day), Dabo would be on or near the top of the list of who I would want to replace him.

And btw, your season is FAR from over. Now would be a good time to bet on Clemson. They are about to crush the so-so ACC teams that they play, and I do mean CRUSH them.

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2023 at 8:25 AM, Bill from NYC said:

As a lifelong Alabama Fan I understand how you feel. I'm not accustomed to The Tide losing many games but that said, perhaps you might be overreacting. Dabo is a great, championship winning coach. He (imo) is a fantastic game manager. Where he may lack is his ability (or perhaps even will) to adapt to NIL, but this can be fixed imo.

Dabo is in a great situation down there. His competetion is virtually non existant, in that Clemson usually seems to have a very weak schedule. Clemson teams are deep with talent and they have 10x the athletes than almost any team they ever face.

When Saban retires (and trust me I dread that ugly day), Dabo would be on or near the top of the list of who I would want to replace him.

And btw, your season is FAR from over. Now would be a good time to bet on Clemson. They are about to crush the so-so ACC teams that they play, and I do mean CRUSH them.

You pretty much nailed it with this. I agree with you, I just hate losing. Like the Bills against the Jets. I thought the season was over, lol. Clemson is looking good against Florida State, but as I was typing this, Seminoles picked up a fumble, as Clemson was driving again, and took it to the house. Should be 27/31 to 17. But that play changed everything. 24 - 24. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.