In a vacuum ... which 2024 candidate is your favorite?

I think of myself as a high-information voter. Probably most people here think of themselves the same way.

No 2024 presidential candidate fits perfectly with my policy preferences. And certainly they are very different in terms of experience, intellect, judgement, and demeanor. But some come far closer than others in my ideal blend.

As a high-information voter, I don't just take into account which candidate comes closest to my ideal. I also think about how that person would fit as a president with the likely Congress he/she will have, and with the composition of the Supreme Court. For example, I favor the right to an abortion, more or less along the lines of Roe v. Wade. When that was the law, I didn't concern myself too much with how a presidential candidate views the abortion question, other than how he would impact the composition of the Supreme Court. Now I can't ignore that. I'm also kind of middle of the road in my politics, so I worry about the consequences of giving one party too much power in Congress and the White House. For example, a far right/far left House and Senate (particularly a filibuster-proof Senate). That would encourage a wild swing in either direction.

With all that in mind, and in a vacuum (assume you have no idea about how the House/Senate/Supreme Court will be constituted in 2025), how do you rank the candidates now? Top 3, Bottom 3.

3 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I think of myself as a high-information voter. Probably most people here think of themselves the same way.

No 2024 presidential candidate fits perfectly with my policy preferences. And certainly they are very different in terms of experience, intellect, judgement, and demeanor. But some come far closer than others in my ideal blend.

As a high-information voter, I don't just take into account which candidate comes closest to my ideal. I also think about how that person would fit as a president with the likely Congress he/she will have, and with the composition of the Supreme Court. For example, I favor the right to an abortion, more or less along the lines of Roe v. Wade. When that was the law, I didn't concern myself too much with how a presidential candidate views the abortion question, other than how he would impact the composition of the Supreme Court. Now I can't ignore that. I'm also kind of middle of the road in my politics, so I worry about the consequences of giving one party too much power in Congress and the White House. For example, a far right/far left House and Senate (particularly a filibuster-proof Senate). That would encourage a wild swing in either direction.

With all that in mind, and in a vacuum (assume you have no idea about how the House/Senate/Supreme Court will be constituted in 2025), how do you rank the candidates now? Top 3, Bottom 3.

Is there a reason you didn’t start with your top and bottom 3?

Edited by JDHillFan
Horrific spelling error
  • Like (+1) 1

If Bernie were younger, it'd be him.  Since he's ancient, I'm going with Youngkin.  I think he's a pragmatist and could help heal the hemorrhaging wounds of the country.  I wouldn't likely agree with some of his agenda but I'd feel ok with him holding the nuclear football.   And I don't see him cozying up to hate groups.  Anyone know different?  If he doesn't run, then Haley would be a distant second.  Other D's just don't seem viable candidates right now.

• Eyeroll 1

Would.

Nikki Haley

Ron DeSantis

Would Never

Biden.

Trump.

Any other of the current Dem mentions.

Strongly consider moving out of the country.

Bernie Sanders.

Kamala Harris

Edited by sherpa
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

Is their a reason you didn’t start with your top and bottom 3?

I didn't want you to instinctively choose a different bunch!

20 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

If Bernie were younger, it'd be him.  Since he's ancient, I'm going with Youngkin.  I think he's a pragmatist and could help heal the hemorrhaging wounds of the country.  I wouldn't likely agree with some of his agenda but I'd feel ok with him holding the nuclear football.   And I don't see him cozying up to hate groups.  Anyone know different?  If he doesn't run, then Haley would be a distant second.  Other D's just don't seem viable candidates right now.

Well, your choice - Youngkin - is outside the scope. Current candidates only.

But let me expand the question: what unannounced candidate would you prefer?

• Like (+1) 1

Still undecided…

I was big on DeSantis 12 months ago…But ever since the campaign started, he doesn’t appear as confident in himself as he was during Covid…

I’m intrigued by RFK and Vivek and want to learn more…

However, if it came down to Nikki Hailey vs. Biden, I take Nikki all day long, even though I disagree with her Neo-Con foreign policy…At least her domestic policy would be anti-woke…

I also rock with Trump vs. Biden…

Never to Biden, Newsome, and Michelle Obama…Buttjudge is a joke…😉

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Still undecided…

I was big on DeSantis 12 months ago…But ever since the campaign started, he doesn’t appear as confident in himself as he was during Covid…

I’m intrigued by RFK and Vivek and want to learn more…

However, if it came down to Nikki Hailey vs. Biden, I take Nikki all day long, even though I disagree with her Neo-Con foreign policy…At least her domestic policy would be anti-woke…

I also rock with Trump vs. Biden…

Never to Biden, Newsome, and Michelle Obama…Buttjudge is a joke…😉

I think if you give DeSantis 10-12 more years he could be a good presidential candidate, he still needs to grow some more and hone his skills for the national stage. He's got great ideas and seems to be a natural leader. 

With the current climate he's not ready to overtake Trump as the nominee. Trump's personality is too overwhelming, larger than life and it's like he's a 500lb gorilla on the American political scene. 

• Like (+1) 1

My top 3, in order:

Haley

Christie

Scott

My bottom 3, in order (least bad to most bad):

Ramaswamy

RFK Jr.

Trump

A pure match-up, hold your nose and vote for him if the competitor is worse:

Biden

I'm starting to see that Haley probably isn't anyone's perfect candidate, but that she's acceptable to more people of many divergent views than anyone else.

• Like (+1) 1