trey lance traded to cowboys

richNjoisy

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

Not sure if posted already. But apparently we made an offer for Lance. The Cowboys got him for a 4th so, what were we offering?

I would guess a 6th that could conditionally go to a 5th or 4th based off performance. Maybe a 4th in 2025?

I think he would’ve been a good addition  

Edited by Breakout Squad

15 hours ago, MJS said:

Why did the Cowboys do this, I wonder?

I think Dak has this season to produce.  If he doesn't, he will probably be somewhere else for the 2024 season.  Taking a chance on Lance makes some sense.  They will have a year to coach him and see him work in practice.  If they think his ceiling is higher than an aging Dak, then it will be goodbye Dak.  There is also very little chance that the Cowboys have a record bad enough to draft one of the top guys.  If Lance does not develop, then it only cost them a 4th round pick.  Clearly worth the gamble for them.

• Agree 1

The trade up for Lance has to be one of the worst in modern NFL history. They traded THREE 1sts and a 3rd for Lance, just to give up on him 2 seasons later after he played (parts of) 8 games for them. Two of the three 1sts were late picks but still…

I am a bit surprised they are giving up on him before seeing Purdy start another season for them. They better hope he’s legit. I guess they feel like if he doesn’t work out they still have Darnold? Shanahan must be pretty convinced that Lance is never going to be able to excel in the 49ers system.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, davefan66 said:

It’s not often a guy like him makes it.  I h  ope he does, seems like a good dude.  

Would be something if he fails.

I wasn't knocking Purdy but Lynch and Shanahan.   Very few college QBs, including those drafted in the first round, actually become top NFL QBs no matter where they were drafted, much less from day 3 of the draft.   Since 2000, you can count on the fingers of one hand the ones from Day 3 who've become top NFL QB and have a couple of digits left over: Tom Brady (2000 - 6th round), Dak Prescott (2016 - 4th round), and Kirk Cousins (2012 - 4th round).   There have been several notable late rounders like Ryan Fitzpatrick, Matt Cassel and Gardner Minshew but none of them would be considered "top NFL QBs".

I think it's incredibly arrogant of Lynch and Shanahan to bank on Purdy joining Brady, Prescott and Cousins after only 8 starts, especially since they haven't demonstrated that they actually can evaluate QBs, given that they felt they whiffed  on Lance after giving up 3 first round picks to get him.

25 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I think Dak has this season to produce.  If he doesn't, he will probably be somewhere else for the 2024 season.  Taking a chance on Lance makes some sense.  They will have a year to coach him and see him work in practice.  If they think his ceiling is higher than an aging Dak, then it will be goodbye Dak.  There is also very little chance that the Cowboys have a record bad enough to draft one of the top guys.  If Lance does not develop, then it only cost them a 4th round pick.  Clearly worth the gamble for them.

His salary cap number guarantees he will be on the team next year and he has a no trade clause.  he is set to count 59 million against the cap next year so he will end up getting an extension to lower that number which means they are tied to him for at least the next 3 to 4 years.

the flip side of that is that Dak running the offense got shut down two years in a row and looked horrible last year in the loss to the niners and mccarthy cleared everyone out.  he fired his own hirings like philbin who coached the line and Jerrys pet project Kellen Moore who was calling plays.  Mike now is in charge of the offense with Schottenheimer.  So if it goes south again for Dak and the offense costs them another playoff game they are probably going to have that discussion about what do we do here.

in the end The Jones Family just wants to be relevant and in the media 24/7 so that is all this is and Dak will be there a long time and Lance will get turned into a celebrity in Dallas while standing on the sideline which is great for jerry and exactly how he operates.

31 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

If they don't believe in Dak they shouldn't have paid him $40 million per season with $125 million guaranteed. If they cut him next year it will be $62 million in dead cap.

3 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

His salary cap number guarantees he will be on the team next year and he has a no trade clause.  he is set to count 59 million against the cap next year so he will end up getting an extension to lower that number which means they are tied to him for at least the next 3 to 4 years.

Good point. That's what lowered his market value. After all, other than he's recovering from a significant injury, we really don't know anything more about him and his likelihood of succeeding than the 49ers knew when they traded up to draft him. Still raw, still (assuming recovered) very athletic, still maybe a Josh Allen or a Jalen Hurts or a Justin Fields? High risk, high upside.

Even given the cap hit, I have to grudgingly say Jerry may have made a good move here.

3 hours ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

But he’s not. Once they added McCafferey, it was over. They now have 4 elite guys that can do it all, most notably get YAC. Who are these “good defenders” that can stick with a man for 3 seconds? Let alone stick with 4 elite men? Add in that KS schemes them open in 2 seconds and it’s not really possible. Use us as the example. Even if you think Tre can stick with Deebo (which is debateable), who takes Aiyuk? Dane? Elam? Please. Who takes kittle? Milano could stay with him some I guess but it’s tough. And are you asking Taron Johnson to stick with McCafferey? Good luck. And after you spend all that energy trying to match up, they can all run block, and now they gashed you for 40 yards. It’s tough. We’re not built to be anywhere near them. And you say well the chiefs can do it. Well yeah but Mahomes and Reid are a different story. The Bengals too. They have weapons and they play tough. We have 1 true weapon and we are finesse. 

If I seem frustrated it’s because I am. Niners got CMC for pennies based on how good he is. Beane should’ve given Josh that type of weapon. Instead we have given him Diggs and that’s it. Maybe Kincaid breaks out but he’s a rookie. 

The question is can the pass rush get home in 2.5 seconds the length of time Purdy and the Shanahan offense want to get the ball out? Purdy stats completion %, TDs to Picks, plummet past 2.5 seconds.

Elam, Taron, Tre could cover anyone on the 49ers for 2.5-3 seconds. 

Neal, Rapp, Lewis, Dane & Benford 2-2.5 seconds.

Milano, Hyde, Poyer, Bernard can stick with a man 2 seconds.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

One of the biggest reasons playing man vs a team like the 49ers is dangerous is yac. They’ll destroy you with yac.

Yeah, and they built the Miami Dolphins. Thanks 49ers.

Not every defender is in man.

Rush 4 vs 6 (5 OL + 1 QB).

Cover 7 vs 5. Man 5 use 2 safeties to play robber or cloud over the 2 fastest vertical threats 

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

The trade up for Lance has to be one of the worst in modern NFL history. They traded THREE 1sts and a 3rd for Lance, just to give up on him 2 seasons later after he played (parts of) 8 games for them. Two of the three 1sts were late picks but still…

I am a bit surprised they are giving up on him before seeing Purdy start another season for them. They better hope he’s legit. I guess they feel like if he doesn’t work out they still have Darnold? Shanahan must be pretty convinced that Lance is never going to be able to excel in the 49ers system.

I agree.  We have seen QBs play good for 5-6 games then get figured out. Trent Edwards.....

They must really believe in Purdy.  If Purdy flames out, that could cost the that regime their jobs

4 hours ago, MJS said:

If they don't believe in Dak they shouldn't have paid him $40 million per season with $125 million guaranteed. If they cut him next year it will be $62 million in dead cap.

If the Cowboys had it to do all over again, I don't think they would give him that contract. I don't think they will cut him but they should be able to find a QB needy team to cut a deal and make the money manageable.  I think Jerry realizes that he is older than dirt and these next couple of seasons may be his last best chances to make a SB run.  If Dak shows that he can't be the guy, Jerry will do what needs to be done (even if it seems crazy).  Time is his scarce resource, money isn't.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.