Bills sign RB Ty Johnson

wppete

2 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

At this point, I'd guess he's competition for Darrynton Evans at the back end of the RB group.  Not real big, but not a smurf either.  He has speed similar to Cook and Evans.

Seemed like Mims was ahead of Evans last week. He had some nice plays then Evans came in more. I was wondering if they are hiding Mims. In general I think Mims has more upside than Evans. 

As for this signing, It's not uncommon to pick up a RB for the last preseason game to take reps. I'd doubt we see much Harris or Cooks, so they would need another body. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Interesting. I don't know if Sean has seen what he needs to in the return game. I am with others thinking it may just be to give our current top 3 RB's a rest against Chicago, but who knows?

This guy ran a 4.40 forty-yard dash on his pro day.  They need a GREAT return man.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, wppete said:

I think it’s about the special Teams returner spot. Filling Hynes spot. Andy Isabella really isn’t a returner. 

Why not try Jordan Mims back there? 

16 hours ago, wppete said:

I liked him coming out of college. Very shifty, quick runner

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

So we are replacing the guy with 8 career kick returns with the guy who has 14?   If its such an issue just go sign Andre Roberts as a one year fail safe. 

Yeah this "Isabella isn't a good return guy" makes no sense--he's had rare opportunities.  He's built to be the perfect returner--give him some K/P to return.  This jamoke form the Jets certainly isn't a return man.

• Disagree 1

16 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

They should really consider signing OLINE and LB's.  They are going to be the downfall of this team

I think they definitely will. I think their priority is getting through the Bears game and then watching the cuts around the league to pick someone up.

Isn’t there that thing that veterans usually don’t get signed until after week 1?

33 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah this "Isabella isn't a good return guy" makes no sense--he's had rare opportunities.  He's built to be the perfect returner--give him some K/P to return.  This jamoke form the Jets certainly isn't a return man.

The emphasis on having an amazing return guy when the NFL is setting rules to eliminate returns from the game baffles me.    I am confident Isabella can catch a football and kneel it down.

• Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

The emphasis on having an amazing return guy when the NFL is setting rules to eliminate returns from the game baffles me.    I am confident Isabella can catch a football and kneel it down.

This is a simplistic hot take reaction to new rules changes which won't change much at all regarding need for a superior return man.  Isabella seems like the best dual threat (ST/WR) on the roster right now. He's cheap. 

11 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

This is a simplistic hot take reaction to new rules changes which won't change much at all regarding need for a superior return man.  Isabella seems like the best dual threat (ST/WR) on the roster right now. He's cheap. 

Maybe its simplistic but its far from a "hot take."  Only 5 of the 16 returners who qualified to have their stats tracked (number of qualifying returns) averaged more than 25 yards per return last year.   Given that average, you have a 31% chance of making it to the 25 when returning a kick out of the front of the end zone, that percentage decreases every 3 feet you go into the end zone.    As such, there is really no reason to ever bring the ball out.   

6 of those 16 players failed to have a return average over 20 yards.   As such, on average, applicable returners are only 62% likely to progress the ball over the 25 yard line if they catch the ball at the 5.   How many kickoffs do you see caught at the 5 yard line or beyond?

The new rule coupled with the kickoff being moved up doesn't totally remove the kickoff return from the game, but I think its fair to say a heavy focus on a return man isnt necessary. 

Edited by thenorthremembers

12 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The dude had average success in college as a returner

He's not the deshaun Jackson or Roscoe parish.. he's not leodis mccelvin

Harty is way more skilled and the Bills contract they gave him shows that..  

0 returns in college for TD

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The dude had average success in college as a returner

He's not the deshaun Jackson or Roscoe parish.. he's not leodis mccelvin

Harty is way more skilled and the Bills contract they gave him shows that..  

0 returns in college for TD

In 4 years, Harty has appeared in only 40 games.  Under 2 punt and 2 kick returns per game. 1 career TD.

His best year, by far, was his rookie year…4 years ago.  What are they paying him for?

My point was no one knows if Isabella could be a good return man right now.  Worth a try.  We know Harty used to be a pretty good returner…

39 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Maybe its simplistic but its far from a "hot take."  Only 5 of the 16 returners who qualified to have their stats tracked (number of qualifying returns) averaged more than 25 yards per return last year.   Given that average, you have a 31% chance of making it to the 25 when returning a kick out of the front of the end zone, that percentage decreases every 3 feet you go into the end zone.    As such, there is really no reason to ever bring the ball out.   

6 of those 16 players failed to have a return average over 20 yards.   As such, on average, applicable returners are only 62% likely to progress the ball over the 25 yard line if they catch the ball at the 5.   How many kickoffs do you see caught at the 5 yard line or beyond?

The new rule coupled with the kickoff being moved up doesn't totally remove the kickoff return from the game, but I think its fair to say a heavy focus on a return man isnt necessary. 

I’ve made the same argument re:why run it out of the end zone, on this board in the past. 

Guys are still going to return kicks.   also kickers will spend more time crafting kicks into the 10 yard line to goal line.

Also, it doesn’t account for punts.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

In 4 years, Harty has appeared in only 40 games.  Under 2 punt and 2 kick returns per game. 1 career TD.

His best year, by far, was his rookie year…4 years ago.  What are they paying him for?

My point was no one knows if Isabella could be a good return man right now.  Worth a try.  We know Harty used to be a pretty good returner…

Returning is a innate skills

Not learned..  the best returners were doing it when they were 15 years old

Mcelvin has seven returns for touchdowns in college.. parish has a good amount... Hester has a good amount.. Terence McGee as a good amount

Isabella has a poultry average in a small conference.. he's not a great returner

We have a guy who all prod in the NFL

He's a backup option 

Edited by Buffalo716

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Returning is a innate skills

Not learned..  the best returners were doing it when they were 15 years old

Mcelvin has seven returns for touchdowns in college.. parish has a good amount... Hester has a good amount.. Terence McGee as a good amount

Isabella has a poultry average in a small conference.. he's not a great returner

We have a guy who all prod in the NFL

Didn't the Cardinals try him as a return man there? 

2 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Didn't the Cardinals try him as a return man there? 

Yea a few .. and he's average ... I'm not trying to say he can't .. or he's trash 

His body of work just screams depth... Not a weapon at returner ...

I am interested in his receiver skills tho... Field stretcher 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah this "Isabella isn't a good return guy" makes no sense--he's had rare opportunities.  He's built to be the perfect returner--give him some K/P to return.  This jamoke form the Jets certainly isn't a return 

Harty will probably return punts, Ty Johnson will play special teams if he sticks and Isabella will be a cut.

And unless teams start squib kicking, there will be no kick returns when the regular season starts, so who cares who they put back there.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.