Giants and Barkley do not reach an agreement on a new contract

Gregg

21 hours ago, JimBob2232 said:

All true.  However the real problem IMO is that you can plug and play almost any RB and not have a drastic change.  Why pay Barkley 16M/year when you can get 80% of the production for $4M/year?  Thats the issue.  Daniel Jones is not good, yet got $40M/year because the fear was that you can't replace him.  It's not bias against the player or position - its supply and demand. 

I do think the Franchise tag concept makes this harder.  Players dont get to know what their real market is - and are forced to sign and play for a "less than they think they are worth" - and in some cases - thats egregious.  But I dont know Barkley is getting 16M/year anywhere else either.  But he is at the whim of the Giants offering him "fair market value" without knowing what that is.  Maybe re-work the franchise tag to allow the team to match other deals would help.  I dont know.

And in disclaimer - im a HUGE Barkley fan.  Love the guy.  Behind Allen, probably my 2nd favorite player in the NFL.  But it's a crappy position to play in todays NFL.  

So a line like this is why the player has almost no negotiating ability. I have seen that $16 million number thrown around a lot-where did it come from? Certainly didn’t come from the player. Makes a ton of sense for the team to leak a ridiculous number like that because look at what it did. Makes Barkley look greedy and unreasonable, and now public opinion is that Barkley’s demands were too high

On 7/18/2023 at 12:14 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Good point and I won’t disagree that passing is much more effective just like 3 pointers are better than long 2s.

the point all the nerds who never played a sport past little league miss is there is a mental part of being physical. Ask any o linemen if they would rather pass block or run block. Jokic is such a skilled big man but he would also go inside and physically dominant and beat up guys. The more guys get hit, they stop being as aggressive. Pass rushers love team that just throw the ball. It’s makes their jobs easier. KC kicked into a different gear when Panceho emerged. 

you can pass a million times again but football, especially in the playoffs and cold, can sometimes be a game where physically manhandling someone can go a long way as well. The Bengals, their running game especially, manhandled us. The Eagles physically manhandled teams last year. 

that physicality can come from OL though, and they serve dual purpose run/pass. personally would much rather take that $$ allocated to a Henry and spread it along or lump sum it to a single beast OL.

not at all piling on, but i like the term @dave mcbride used "value over replacement" here. especially at a position with such a high injury risk.

On 7/18/2023 at 12:45 PM, Not at the table Karlos said:

Lol I really want to but he seems like he doesn't want to be bothered. Guy is huge 

you shouldve he sounds like a chill dude from all accounts  @ 29:22 if it doesnt start at right spot.... Shane Gillis talking about drunken shenanigans meeting him lol

• Like (+1) 2

On 7/17/2023 at 4:22 PM, BillMafia716ix said:

Giving Daniel Jones 40Ms instead of paying  Saquon is wild. 40 million for a guy who only threw 15TDs

That was a bad deal, but Barkley only scored 14 TD's (10 rushing and 4 receiving). That's excellent for a RB, but his value doesn't compare even slightly to the value of a QB.

• Eyeroll 1

The issue with barkley is his injury history.

its not just about the RB position.  Its about availability.  If he played every week he would have reset the market.  

The giants are crazy to sign him long term, it's hard to let a fan favorite walk but winning again this year and making the playoffs will soften the blow.

On 7/18/2023 at 3:09 AM, transient said:

You say that as though you know my profession… I can tell you they’re the same in that salaries are set by market pressure in what I do as well. IMO, if what’s out there about what he wants and what he was offered is true, he’s getting some bad advice from his agent. The market for RBs is not uptrending, and while a 4M difference is obviously a lot of money, he’s not likely to get a better offer next season and he’s likely to lose out on more than that in the long run. 

Fair enough.   But does your profession come with the same physical risks?

I agree he’s not likely to get what his talent level and impact deserves.  Realistically, Barkley is already a rich young man so this comes down to principle.   How far is he willing to go for principle?  Me?  I don’t show up until November.  I’m not letting the Giants use me up and underpay me.  I’d accrue my season in the final six weeks and then maneuver my way out of there.   If II have to be underpaid it won’t be from that organization.

Edited by purple haze

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.