Good Breakdown on Bills, KC, and Cinci moving forward

newcam2012

14 minutes ago, The 9 Isles said:

DOOMED. 

Not doomed but not ideal either. 

9 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

Good?  This is garbsge….

yes if you have a big name QB on a high cap hit over their career you are going to go through some periods of rebuilding/ cap constraints

i expect quite a few name players to not be back in 2024

I thought it was pretty fair. The basic theme of the article is the Bills are paying older guys bigger money and they have some serious cap issues. The final paragraph or two are what really caught my attention. 

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Interesting 

But I get Bills hater vibes

He keeps talking about 2nd contracts. 6/10 of our top 10 are in 2nd contracts . Allen, White, Ed, Dawkins, Milano, Knox...

Everyone except Dawkins has at least 3 years . Dawkins has 2 more. Little deceiving..

Only 2 beyond 2nd contracts are big contracts and are 2 all pros , Von n Diggs

Mitch and Hyde are both good contracts and can move on next year if needed.  Have alot of flexibility with this deep, loaded roster 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

This is common sense.  You simply cannot keep whiffing on your Drafts for this very reason.  

At some point the piper shows up with his invoice.  It looks as if 2024 is when he'll be showing up bill in hand.  

Never fear however, Beane was just extended, so at least he'll be left to clean up his own mess and after his own draft failures.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 5

28 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Interesting 

He keeps talking about 2nd contracts. 6/10 of our top 10 are in 2nd contracts . Allen, White, Ed, Dawkins, Milano, Knox...

Everyone except Dawkins has at least 3 years . Dawkins has 2 more. Little deceiving..

Mitch and Hyde are both good contracts and can move on next year if needed.  Have alot of flexibility with this deep, loaded roster 

I'm not a great numbers guy. I do know that Beane is excellent at moving around money and working the cap. I think I he will get creative and continue to do so. Just seems like the window is getting tighter. 

6 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

This is common sense.  You simply cannot keep whiffing on your Drafts for this very reason.  

At some point the piper shows up with his invoice.  It looks as if 2024 is when he'll be showing up bill in hand.  

Never fear however, Beane was just extended, so at least he'll be left to clean up his own mess and after his own draft failures.  

Missing on draft picks certainly hurts you because it allows you to have quality players on the cheap. KC is a really good example of that with McDuffie and Pacheco. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Interesting 

Is it really a Bills hater vibe? I really didn't see it as such. 

• Agree 3

SUPER incomplete analysis, as while the author casually mentions the looming potential deals for four young Cincinnati stars, he never really accounts for that absolute train-on-the-tracks inevitable cap collision because they're all looking only for 2nd deals (they're young)? Their ages won't diminish the cap implications and required sacrifices elsewhere. But I guess it will likely mean those sacrifices are smart and sustainable due to the on-field value such prime-aged players should provide... 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

The issue with the Bengals is they have 4 players that are going to get paid and have 60m in cap space next year.  I would expect the AAV around $15m for their average between all of them (and that's low ball).  They can't keep all of them.

They have too many players that are worth much more on rookie contracts.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Lest they forget players are traded, cut, retire every season. 

Oliver was there for the trade as was Gabe Davis. Neither are elite and still had decent trade value. Edmunds should have been traded as well. 

Is Beane missing opportunites to retool and save money? 

1 hour ago, Zag20 said:

Lay off the OP, finding any content this time of year is valuable.

It stimulates conversation. That's not a bad thing. Beane is pretty good with working the numbers. I suspect he will have his work cut out for him in the next few years. Hopefully, he can be a little more successful; especially with his draft picks and acquisitions. 

Thanks.. good read and I don’t get any sort of hater vibe from the article. . 

I don’t think the contracts listed here were Necessarily the wrong or bad  choices. Von clearly made a massive difference in our ability to apply pressure and was looking like the missing piece..but at a price to cover up an abundance of draft resources not working out. I’d argue he was brought in one year to late.   Tre has been  our best corner  and sure enough both him and Von  suffered unfortunate injuries. Milano should be rewarded for what he brings.. We have relied on Hyde and Poyer for so long that the drop off is pretty evident when we can’t find playing time for any young guys behind them. Knox is an interesting one and will be interesting to see how it plays out. But for the time being we now have two tight ends who can step in if one gets injured.

I think Beane has done a good job this off-season from where we started. I think we have a nice balance of speed and power in the run game. We made a better effort to put some guys in front of Josh and hoepfully  we have a weapon in Kincaid who will grow into a top tight end.  

It sort of feels to me like a year to year thing. That what he seems to do. Beane tweaks the roster each  year with some one year contracts or signings that maybe are under the radar hoping to hit. We also sign guys with some injury concerns like Harris.. when healthy he is great..

I’m not sure what the future holds for all three teams but its not my job to figure it out. But yeah age and injuries are a concern..
I actually think this may be the best roster we have fielded in the past three seasons and I think there should be a sense of urgency to get it done. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

SUPER incomplete analysis, as while the author casually mentions the looming potential deals for four young Cincinnati stars, he never really accounts for that absolute train-on-the-tracks inevitable cap collision because they're all looking only for 2nd deals (they're young)? Their ages won't diminish the cap implications and required sacrifices elsewhere. But I guess it will likely mean those sacrifices are smart and sustainable due to the on-field value such prime-aged players should provide... 

One of Higgins and chase is going to walk.  Wouldn't be shocked to see it be burrow tbh.  Their owner is going to struggle to pay them all that cash up front.  

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.