Buffalo News increasing the cost of their subscription to $28.99 per month

11 minutes ago, teef said:

so you posted pics of how you decorate someone else's house for christmas?

Ohhh you're talking about my house in WNY... Yes, I posted decorations there.

You responded to a post talking about Florida homes and said "didnt you post your home?" Bit confusing.

2 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

I wonder how many people in this thread think nothing of buying $8.00 coffees from Starbucks as well as $15.00 craft beers each weekend.

I mean there is a major difference in that something hasn't come along to make food and drink obsolete.  

8 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Ohhh you're talking about my house in WNY... Yes, I posted decorations there.

You responded to a post talking about Florida homes and said "didnt you post your home?" Bit confusing.

ooohhhhhh!  come on man.

3 minutes ago, teef said:

ooohhhhhh!  come on man.

Sorry if you didn't realize it, but the post you quoted was talking about Florida homes. It never occurred to me that you quoted a post about Florida homes but meant a home in NY. I've posted before that my WNY home is only $250k. It's nothing special.

florida.jpg

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Sorry if you didn't realize it, but the post you quoted was talking about Florida homes. It never occurred to me that you quoted a post about Florida homes but meant a home in NY. I've posted before that my WNY home is only $250k. It's nothing special.

florida.jpg

i realized it.  you don't strike me as the guy who would be ok with "nothing special."  

5 minutes ago, teef said:

i realized it.  you don't strike me as the guy who would be ok with "nothing special."  

Purchased that home in a very different portion of my life and there are lots of special memories in that home that I'm not willing to let go.

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Purchased that home in a very different portion of my life and there are lots of special memories in that home that I'm not willing to let go.

is it so you can afford a subscription to the buffalo news?

• Haha (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Since1981 said:

it. Streaming sets the market and it isn’t $28/mo !!

they’ll lay off buff news staff when they can’t get the revenue this year. 

NYT dropping 35 sports reporters

today    Technology marches on…

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/the-new-york-times-disbands-its-sports-department

10 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

Earlier in the thread I claimed I cancelled when they raised the rate. Turns out, I cancelled in December 2022, received a confirmation, and they kept billing my credit card monthly anyhow! So beware if you cancel your digital subscription. 

They might offer to send you all the months old news you missed, if you ask nicely. 😋

I’m sure I’m getting soaked for some subscriptions that are virtually useless to me. I don’t have $5.3 Million in Disney stock alone, so I need to watch my nickels and dimes!  

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/7/2023 at 9:56 AM, Einstein said:

Pontificating on "basic economics" while not understanding inflation is a bit ironic.

The Buffalo News cost $12 per month ($3.05 per week) in 1990.

The OP said they are increasing to $28 per month in 2023. 

If you plug $12 into an inflation calculator and compute the increase from 1990 to 2023...

inflation1.jpg

It is $28. 

They are essential charging the exact same as they did in 1990. Price has only followed inflation.

The inflation calculator you're using in your post doesn't factor in that in 1990 papers were made physically to all of their customers, delivered by numerous paper folks, maintenance personnel who fixed the machines, sales people who made dial up calls, managers who oversaw these employees, parking lot plowing in winter for them, janitors to perform their tasks to clean up after people etc...  

Your calculator is accurate, but doesn't calculate how few people it takes to charge the same inflated $ for an inferior paper that was once great or the # of people that don't have jobs due to technology.

A companies fee is only what people are willing to pay for it's service. That's the moral of all these posts complaining about the rate hike. Sneaky billing, AD Choking, $1 for new subscribers, screwing the long timers...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.