SCOTUS strikes down Biden’s student loan forgiveness plan

12 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

You mean, actual Republicans?

Let me guess, you’re real excited about Will Hurd for President?

Hes going to bow out early, take a job at CNN or MSNBC as a “Republican Contributor” and proceed to agree with Democrats on everything.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Let me guess, you’re real excited about Will Hurd for President?

Hes going to bow out early, take a job at CNN or MSNBC as a “Republican Contributor” and proceed to agree with Democrats on everything.  

He's a bit young, but yes, he seems bright, seems sane, and seems to be an actual Republican.

22 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Thanks for the advice, Leo.  Fortunately, my parents will follow through and pay off their loans now that the decision is final.

Also, fortunately, after 60 straight years of voting Republican, my conservative parents will no longer vote for the GOP because of their hyper focus on woke, guns, and anti-everything. They are tired of the division, mass shootings, outright mean spirted hate, and bullshiit.

The party no longer represents THEM.

Congrats, Trump voters.

Up NEXT:

Interracial Marriage 

Gay Marriage

Contraception

So much winning.

Thank you for your measured response.  I get the frustration from your parents perspective, as our friend Muppy says rarely is anyone 100% conservative or 100% liberal. 

We’ve come this far, so I wonder if we can see it through. 

The math suggests your parents are pushing 80 years old.  It seems they have the money to help your siblings, what was their thinking before this was finalized today?  While the chatter on student loan forgiveness has been around for a number of years (as has the dialogue on the exponentially increasing cost of education), the actual Biden plan is really still in its infancy.    Assuming (now, based on the 60 year voting record) your younger siblings are older, why didn’t they just pay off the loan to begin with? 

As for being careful what you wish for, we need not capitulate out of fear of the next big thing that liberal or conservative Americans might want.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

It seems they have the money to help your siblings, what was their thinking before this was finalized today?

My parents' motto: you a take a loan you pay it back. Then grandchildren happened and well, that changed everything.

43 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

And FBI/DOJ did absolutely nothing as the left illegally 'protested' outside conservative justices homes.

This happened yesterday. Do you condemn Conald for sharing Obama's DC address?  Why do you or your owners have NO foresight?

1 hour ago, BillStime said:

Also, fortunately, after 60 straight years of voting Republican, my conservative parents will no longer vote for the GOP because of their hyper focus on woke, guns, and anti-everything. They are tired of the division, mass shootings, outright mean spirted hate, and bullshiit.

That same narrative is kind of how Obama pulled so many.  and why trump then pulled so many.  The GOP and DNC are crap (not representative) for the majority of the populus. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

You mean, actual Republicans?

The neocon types that have a stiffy for the DC war machine but are totally oblivious that 90% of the world outside of Western Europe has had enough of this military intervention approach to addressing every problem?  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BillStime said:

My parents' motto: you a take a loan you pay it back. Then grandchildren happened and well, that changed everything.

This goes in the “people are complicated basket” imo.  If you hang in on the “your debt your responsibility” mantra, I can understand wanting the Biden loan program going through because it benefits those you love.  I don’t understand that as some last straw issue  that pushes folks to the liberal left.  

No judgement intended, I just don’t get that one. 

Thanks, and sounds like you have great parents. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

That same narrative is kind of how Obama pulled so many.  and why trump then pulled so many.  The GOP and DNC are crap (not representative) for the majority of the populus. 

Stop.quoting trolls please 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BillStime said:

I wish my parents turned 18 in 1989. Granted, I wouldn't have been born yet but they wouldn't be in their late 70s like they are today.  I cherish every day they are here.

We feel the same way!

I keed, I keed. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, B-Man said:

As we now know thanks to Justice Sonia Sotomayor, the dissents from liberal Supreme Court justices that defend President Biden's attempt to skirt Congress and "forgive" student loan debt can be filed under "A" for "alternate reality." 

Up next is Justice Elana Kagan, who presented a hypothetical to explain why people who borrowed money in the form of student loans shouldn't have to be burdened by actually having to pay it back.

This one comes with a beverage warning: 

and it's real

So if I understand this correctly, you can get out of your student loan bills if you set off a dirty bomb in Chicago.

https://twitchy.com/dougp/2023/06/30/scotus-justice-kegans-dissent-contains-a-hypothetical-that-you-have-to-see-to-believe-n2384997

I haven't read the whole Sotomayor dissent.

But here's something to be aware of: this is how appeals court arguments go! Justice Breyer was famous for asking long hypotheticals, sometimes with fact patterns this bizarre.

What they're trying to do is to get the other side to concede that under some circumstances their view (that complete loan forgiveness is authorized) may be acceptable. That shoots down the argument that under the language Congress used, loan forgiveness is never authorized. If the other side (or another Justice) says, yeah, well, we're not talking about that, then you've made your point.

[Granted, this is a silly hypothetical. But still, appellate lawyers are used to this kind of thing]