Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2023-2024

Draconator

3 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Quebec City has a new arena all set for NHL hockey. That's another possibility. 

Revive the Canadiens - Nordiques rivalry. I would be all for that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I don't know if the arena the Houston Rockets use can be used for hockey. I do know KC has an arena that can be used for hockey. Years ago, the Islanders played a preseason game there. That is another market that the NHL could look at. 

It can.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/17/2024 at 3:15 PM, BillsFan4 said:

That’s my guess too. I think Adams really liked Granato and wanted to give him every opportunity to figure it out. I also doubt Adams was anxious to go to Pegula and say “hey, I know I extended Granato a year before we needed to but now I want to fire him before that extension even starts…”. lol

I actually feel like this rebuild is progressing as it should for the most part. Granato was the right coach at the right time when he was hired. He did an excellent job rebuilding a bunch of broken players, developing the young guys and raising expectations. But like most successful rebuilds in the NHL, I think the Sabres now need that “win now” veteran coach to take the next step.

sounding like the opposite is true.  He was way too soft--especially on the younger players.

he had to go--should have done it sooner.

28 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I am surprised Houston hasn't gotten a look. Big market and they would have an instant rivalry with the Stars. 

I am biased because I live in Houston but it makes no sense to me that the NHL hasn't pursued a team in Houston.  Its the 4th biggest city in the country, we have an arena with ice (Toyota Center), and Houston had an IHL/AHL team that routinely led the league in attendance.  There are a lot of Canadian transplants here as well as a massive contingent of Americans who have relocated from traditional hockey markets.  Houston has the second most Fortune 500 companies of any city in the country and can easily sell luxury suites/boxes.  

From what I have read, Bettman doesn't want a hockey team sharing space with the basketball team even though that is a situation in so many other cities.  Its such an obvious and natural move and its not going to happen. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/general/article/houston-nhl-shut-out-arena-ownership-issues-19401721.php

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/four-reasons-the-nhl-in-houston-is-complicated-15717672

https://thehockeynews.com/news/reaction-nba-rockets-owner-says-hes-talked-to-nhl-about-bringing-a-team-to-houston

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Gregg said:

I don't know if the arena the Houston Rockets use can be used for hockey. I do know KC has an arena that can be used for hockey. Years ago, the Islanders played a preseason game there. That is another market that the NHL could look at. 

They played more than a preseason game there. 😆 

Kansas City used to have an NHL team. The Kansas City Scouts are called the: New Jersey Devils now.

J6836H-75-0_600x0.jpg

😆🤣 

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I am biased because I live in Houston but it makes no sense to me that the NHL hasn't pursued a team in Houston.  Its the 4th biggest city in the country, we have an arena with ice (Toyota Center), and Houston had an IHL/AHL team that routinely led the league in attendance.  There are a lot of Canadian transplants here as well as a massive contingent of Americans who have relocated from traditional hockey markets.  Houston has the second most Fortune 500 companies of any city in the country and can easily sell luxury suites/boxes.  

From what I have read, Bettman doesn't want a hockey team sharing space with the basketball team even though that is a situation in so many other cities.  Its such an obvious and natural move and its not going to happen. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/general/article/houston-nhl-shut-out-arena-ownership-issues-19401721.php

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/four-reasons-the-nhl-in-houston-is-complicated-15717672

https://thehockeynews.com/news/reaction-nba-rockets-owner-says-hes-talked-to-nhl-about-bringing-a-team-to-houston

I didn't know Houston had/has an IHL/AHL hockey team and they led the league in attendance. All the more reason for them to have an NHL team. Plus, hockey in Texas has grown as a sport. Dallas really loves their Stars. 

9 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Kansas City used to have an NHL team. The Kansas City Scouts are called the: New Jersey Devils now.

J6836H-75-0_600x0.jpg

😆🤣 

I knew the Devils came from KC but that was over 40 years ago. There first season in NJ was 1982.

• Like (+1) 1

Looks like Utah is really excited about their new hockey team.

SiriusXM NHL Network Radio on X: "Utah Owner Ryan Smith has 11,000 season ticket deposits in the first few hours." / X (twitter.com)

• Shocked 1

3 hours ago, Gregg said:

I didn't know Houston had/has an IHL/AHL hockey team and they led the league in attendance. All the more reason for them to have an NHL team. Plus, hockey in Texas has grown as a sport. Dallas really loves their Stars. 

I knew the Devils came from KC but that was over 40 years ago. There first season in NJ was 1982.

Yup. Came to NJ from KC via Colorado (Rockies)...

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

sounding like the opposite is true.  He was way too soft--especially on the younger players.

he had to go--should have done it sooner.

I meant raising the expectations for the team and fan base. We all were kind of expecting playoffs this year, as after last season it actually felt like a real possibility not just wishful thinking. Granato definitely played a part in that.

I agree about Granato being too soft. But I think the timing of his firing was about right. I don’t really see an argument for him being fired last offseason. Maybe he should have been canned mid season. I could agree with that.

But I think the players all seem ready for a new, more demanding coach now. They all now seem to realize that he needed to go for the team to take the next step. I don’t think that was the case earlier this season. Look at how the players stopped saluting the fans after they were chanting to fire Granato early this season.

But now I think all the players seem ready to buy-in to a new, more demanding veteran coach. That’s important IMO. It makes the new coach’s job easier.

3 hours ago, Gregg said:

Looks like Utah is really excited about their new hockey team.

SiriusXM NHL Network Radio on X: "Utah Owner Ryan Smith has 11,000 season ticket deposits in the first few hours." / X (twitter.com)

That’s awesome!

• Like (+1) 2

Anybody else doing an NHL playoff bracket through NHL.com?

I just submitted my picks.  I have Florida winning it this year.  I know this is going to happen because now it's going to be Reinhart's turn to stick it to Buffalo

My screenname on there is SufferinginBFLO btw if anybody else is doing it 

• Like (+1) 1

Who else is looking forward to Boston vs. TO later today?  Will be cheering hard for the Bruins.

My prediction: Bruins in 6.

Probably the 1st round series I want to see the most.

On 4/18/2024 at 10:55 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

J6836H-75-0_600x0.jpg

😆🤣 

Who the hell doesn't know about the KC Scouts?

Wonder if he remembers the Atlanta Flames or Colorado Rockies.

Or California Golden Seals!  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Who else is looking forward to Boston vs. TO later today?  Will be cheering hard for the Bruins.

My prediction: Bruins in 6.

Probably the 1st round series I want to see the most.

Who the hell doesn't know about the KC Scouts?

Wonder if he remembers the Atlanta Flames or Colorado Rockies.

Or California Golden Seals!  

Well the Rockies were the Scouts and now the Devils.

How about the Cleveland Barons!😊

On 4/18/2024 at 4:45 PM, Draconator said:

Quebec City has a new arena all set for NHL hockey. That's another possibility. 

In a perfect world ai’d love to see the Nordiques back.

In a realistic world that is a market that a lot of players don’t want to play in. Imagine if they moves the Coyotes there? Going from Arizona to Quebec City would be a shock on the system.